If you played football in HS, did you suffer a concussion (poll)?

If you played football at least all through high school, did you ever have a concussion?

• no

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • yes, I had one

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • yes, multiple

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • none diagnosed, but some suspected

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters

CP87

There is some discussion in another thread about the prevalence of concussions. I am just curious, of the people on this board that played football at least through HS, how many suffered a concussion?

Personally, I am pretty confident that I never had a concussion in high school. I cannot even think of a time when I got dinged/had bell rung/saw stars/etc..

Playing small-college ball in the late 90's, I can think of 2 times I saw stars and got a bit dizzy. Both involved me lowering my head to initiate contact. Neither resulted in any symptoms that persisted beyond 30 seconds. I don't think that is a concussion, but some might argue that any time you see stars, that is a concussion.

Major concussion in 7th grade football. Head to head contact with the other defensive end closing down on a QB. I was right end and the other kid was left end. We both lowered our heads (yes stupid) and the QB stepped forward and we hit full speed crown to crown contact. Lost consciousness for around a minute. Couldn't say applesauce for the rest of the day. The only thing I remember from 7th grade was the peach fuzz and waking up to a blue sky in Ackley Iowa on a nice fall day on their football field. I never had a brush with contact like that I was an all conference QB in 3A north central conference. Started as a sophmore never got hurt again. I played club then college then club rugby for a decade and destroyed my body but never got a head injury. I grew up in a town that had a local rugby club and they allowed HS kids to play. Nothing in all my years as a rugby player and HS football player comes close to that bell ringing I had in 7th grade

As a long-snapper, I got 2 (yes it's a penalty, but have never seen it called). One was pretty bad. Got up and didn't know where I was and was sure they were taking me to the wrong sideline.

I was a starter at center, defensive tackle, and long snapper in Jr HS & HS. I was also on the kickoff return team most years. I never had a concussion or any instances where I may have thought I had a concussion.

I can think of only one play where I really got my bell rung during a kickoff return in junior high school. I remember that I stayed on the ground for a few seconds, but was able to shake it off and snap the next play without any trouble. I didn't have any prolonged symptoms thereafter such as a headache or dizziness, etc.

One bad one in HS (pretty severe, would have missed a game, but weather postponed), the type where you wake up at home and have no recollection what happened. I had multiple seeing stars types of hits pretty much every game I played. I was delivering those hits in most cases. I'm pretty sure I played the second half of one game with a mild concussion. I was constantly looking at the chains / down marker because I couldn't remember what down it was. How the hell I was on the field playing is still a mystery to me...but honestly, I played pretty well when the play was happening. I was a DB and no one was scoring any touchdowns and I wasn't missing any assignments...so I'm going with I was playing well. I look back on that now and just wonder how the hell I was playing...as I have a clear recollection of thinking...why do I not know what down it is? I wanted to play though...so I wasn't saying anything.

Kyle VanDen Bosch (played for Nebby) knocked me pretty silly when he sacked me in the late 90's. We sucked and he demolished our entire team by himself.

Kyle VanDen Bosch (played for Nebby) knocked me pretty silly when he sacked me in the late 90's. We sucked and he demolished our entire team by himself.
I have the distinction of being tackled behind the LOS by both Kyle Vandenbosch and LeVar Woods in high school.

I also hit a triple off of Darin Naatjes but none of you guys know who he is.

Got my bell rung a few times. Worst head blow ever was slipping on concrete and hitting my head

I hit helmet to helmet with a opposing player on a kickoff in a high school game. When I came onto the sideline I felt like a space cadet, like I was just out in la la land. Our return guy ran it back inside the other teams 10 yrd line. In goal line offense I always lined up at TE. The coach had to take a timeout because I was just standing on the sideline not knowing what was really going on at the time, our coach flipped out on me. So I went in and the QB called the play, I couldn't remember what I was suppose to do on that play, so I just blocked the guy in front of me. After the game I saw our trainer in the locker room, he looked me over but said I had no concussion. To this day I think I had a least a mild one. It was the weirdest feeling.

I have the distinction of being tackled behind the LOS by both Kyle Vandenbosch and LeVar Woods in high school.

I do he played at West Lyon, was a stud.

I absolutely remember Darin, even though I live nowhere near NW Iowa. As good of a HS athlete as the state has seen. Wasn't sure which sport(s) he would choose to play, but could have been D-1 in 4 sports. Smart enough to go to Stanford. Really don't remember his college career, but was the model you would use if you were going to build an athlete.

I returned kicks but never got hurt. Not once. I was slippery enough to avoid direct blows.

However, playing linebacker one year I tackled this fullback from Marion (had some Polish name) who had tree trunks for legs. I got him down, but had the classic "bell rung" feeling and had to come out for a few plays. I don't know if that was a true concussion or not. Those were the days you were just told to "walk it off."

I actually had more injuries playing the "non-contact" sport - basketball. Mouth laceration requiring 18 stitches, and, broken ribs on another occasion.

I had one real one for sure. Dont remember halftime at all and the second half memory was kinda like the next morning after drinking way too much. I remember it in pieces. I was the QB and punter, and i remember the coach tried to put me back in to run a fake punt in the 2nd half but i must have been obviously out of it because they had to call timeout and put me back on the sideline.

No long term effects cause im still pretty brilliant. ;)

Knees and shoulder didnt hold up though. :(

Eigth grade. Small town 1970's. Practice field didn't have a lot of grass on it. Like playing on concrete. In practice got undercut while leaping for a catch and landed on my head. I was knocked cold for around 3 minutes they said. Came to and the coach was asking me how many fingers he was holding up. That was the extent of my evaluation.

I noticed I had blood on my ear pad inside the helmet. Always wondered about that. But guess what? Out on the field practicing the next day.

How far have we really come in recognition and diagnosis? Maybe progress at the high school, collegiate and professional level, but you have to question some of the concussion protocols to be quite honest. We have all seen players get knocked silly but go right back out in the same game. And without mentioning names, we have seen some of our own Hawkeyes get knocked silly only to play the following week. Because they have cleared "concussion protocol". To me this just defies common sense. We now know you are at greater risk of subsequent concussions, especially if rushed back too soon.

So people bitch and moan about rules changes with the goal of making the game safer, but there will be a need to be make even more changes IMO or the game simply won't survive as we know it.

I really question how much safer the game is at the younger levels. I attended a jr high game a few years back and a young man clearly got his bell rung on a kickoff coverage. He was on the end of the field, but closest to his own bench. The play ended up on the opposite side of the field and no one paid attention to him as he stayed kneeling for around 30 seconds. Finally a teammate from his bench walked out and helped him to the end of their bench. There was no medical staff on site and ZERO coaches ever checked on him. He later went back in.

Now how many times does this happen throughout the country any given day? How many games at that level are required to be medically staffed?

And finally, is there really any benefit in having 5
-year olds playing tackle football? A lot of denial still out there IMO.

Latest posts