If you played football in HS, did you suffer a concussion (poll)?

If you played football at least all through high school, did you ever have a concussion?

• no

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • yes, I had one

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • yes, multiple

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • none diagnosed, but some suspected

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
There needs to be an age part to the poll.

I know I had concussions, but was never diagnosed. Got knocked out playing baseball, and finished the game.

The older you are the more likely you had an undiagnosed one, I imagine.

One in Junior High. Kocked out. Played Rugy spring of Senior Year Through age 30. I played mens club side rugby as a HS kid. probably 4 or 5 bell rings in those 13 years of rugby. Wouldn't change it for nothing...rugby made me a man quickly and also taught me how to swear properly.

What club did you play for? I was on the Ducks for a few seasons, before I moved to St. Louis. Then played another 8 down here.

Sophomore year, I was a flanker on the JV team. Last week of the season, and I was running scout O against the varsity D. I took a handoff and ran through the line (I had never taken a handoff before) and got absolutely creamed helmet to helmet by a senior LB twice my size.

I was knocked out and fumbled. I came to and the guy who tackled me offered me a hand and pulled me up to my feet. One of the assistant coaches noticed I was still woozy and told me to sit out the rest of practice. When I went into the locker room afterwards, I couldn't remember the combination to the lock on my locker.

Over the next few weeks I had headaches and I didn't feel right. But this was 1985, and we didn't go to the doctor for such things. Eventually I got back to normal, but the next year when it was time to sign up for football, I decided to switch to cross country instead. That hit stuck with me and I wanted nothing more to do with it.

I had one. Happened on a kick-off receive towards the end of the game. I was in the front five, dropped back to block and went helmet to helmet with a player from the other team. I guess he stumbled backwards into my teammate with the ball, tackling without knowing he was doing it. I was told I walked off the field, past the coach screaming at me asking why I didn’t sustain my block, and sat on the bench. I was further told one of my teammates went to the coach and said, “I don’t think he is ok.” Coach stopped yelling and called the doctor over and was a bit apologetic later. We had a school dance after and I remember the music was adding to my splitting headache...but she was cute so I stayed.

'93. Had a bad one, 2 different pupil dialations, puked, thought my aunt was the coach and walked into the crowd by bleachers. Now days, I would have been in hospital. Then, ice on the head and went to the dance after.

I was an undersized DT in 3A in the mid 80s. Out for a few seconds vs Tipton, I think was the team. I remember running down the line and hitting the West Delaware QB square in the earhole ringing both of our bells, though I think he got the worst of it. Our D coach took me out of a practice drill after I got whacked hard enough to stumble and almost fall.

But I never got the nasty headaches or vomited like some of you’ve described. Those just sound much worse than anything I experienced.

Then there were the MANY head butts in high school and college. Not KOd but that just can’t be good for the melon, right?

Colin Cole is out on football prior to HS (I agree with him, for what it's worth):

I am okay if Pop Warner faded away. I know there are some hot spots where it is a big deal, but flag football isn't a bad alternative. Several ex-players and current, feel the way Colin does.