If you could pick 4 teams to join big ten...

The thread was more about who you'd personally want not what brings in the most tv markets or what the big ten will or should do

Right.
And that's my personal opinion on why Syracuse isn't in my 4.

I mean, this is a message board, used to debate and talk about things, right?

So if ND isn't in you conference, then you aren't a national conference? I guess there is no national conference now and never will be with that opinon.

Syracuse's TV market is 83rd (yes, Syracuse is NYC's "team"), but Rutgers is the only school that has the NYC market (largest in America). Designated Market Area Map

Just some thoughts.

On your first point, no there are no national conferences. There isn;t a conference in America that has universal appeal everywhere. Only the truest junkies are watching Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina or Wazzou vs. Oregon State. Notre Dame is a national brand because of its catholic affiliation. You may not like it but it doesn't make it any less true.

Also - people really need to stop looking at the size of the market.

Rutgers is a huge commuter school with no real campus life and basically a non existant athletic department in revenue drawing sports. How popular do you think the Rutgers club is in NYC? Let me give you a hint - go to a Rutgers game watch in NYC and a Syracuse game watch and tell me which bar you'd rather own.

Not. Even. Close.

On your first point, no there are no national conferences. There isn;t a conference in America that has universal appeal everywhere. Only the truest junkies are watching Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina or Wazzou vs. Oregon State. Notre Dame is a national brand because of its catholic affiliation. You may not like it but it doesn't make it any less true.

Also - people really need to stop looking at the size of the market.

Rutgers is a huge commuter school with no real campus life and basically a non existant athletic department in revenue drawing sports. How popular do you think the Rutgers club is in NYC? Let me give you a hint - go to a Rutgers game watch in NYC and a Syracuse game watch and tell me which bar you'd rather own.

Not. Even. Close.

Totally see your points. However how many people in NYC are watching sports on their local TV? Those people are getting Rutgers on their sets, not Cuse.

And when you think of Syracuse, you think Big East BB. (BTW - Cuse would be 5th on my list! :) )

ISU has no business being in the B1G. Considering the fact that for years all they have done is **** and moan about how weak the B1G is yet when they are about ready to get kicked to the curb all of the sudden the B1G sounds awesome.

You are right, hypocrisy big time, but I am starting to feel a little guilty here. Don't know why and I can't explain it, but I am. I want ISU to land on their feet.

Totally see your points. However how many people in NYC are watching sports on their local TV? Those people are getting Rutgers on their sets, not Cuse.

And when you think of Syracuse, you think Big East BB. (BTW - Cuse would be 5th on my list! :) )

Not true - Syracuse is a big deal in NYC because of the alumni base. It is a private school but its draw is primarily in the northeast and the alumni base is huge for a school of that size.

As an example - Buffalo, NY gets YES on their basic cable network. Despite the fact that Buffalo is within three hours of three MLB baseball teams and only 75 minutes from the Blue Jays, they only get one baseball team televised on basic cable. The Yankees.

Notre Dame - Just to kick the crap out of them a few times before I kick the bucket...

North Carolina - So Iowa can get revenge on Roy...eventually...

Duke - Would also help bolster the basketball side of the conference...actually, all 4 of these schools would do that...

Missouri - Like Nebraska, this could turn into a helluva border war...

Sorry to Iowa State...it was nothing personal. I actually like having you as an inter-conference bragging rights type of rivalry...even if you become a Big East team...

Not true - Syracuse is a big deal in NYC because of the alumni base. It is a private school but its draw is primarily in the northeast and the alumni base is huge for a school of that size.

As an example - Buffalo, NY gets YES on their basic cable network. Despite the fact that Buffalo is within three hours of three MLB baseball teams and only 75 minutes from the Blue Jays, they only get one baseball team televised on basic cable. The Yankees.

Right, but like I said, I'm talking local TV, not cable or satellite.
Of the 8+ million people in NYC, how many of those people do you think only have local TV. I'd say there is a big base there too.

I just don't see how anybody could for any reason want Rutgers to be in the conference other then for TV sets. Had like one good season a few years back in football and usually suck or mediocre in both bball and football.

They have a slight big ten feel to them, take them over Maryland after seeing Maryland uniforms.

Last edited:
Right, but like I said, I'm talking local TV, not cable or satellite.
Of the 8+ million people in NYC, how many of those people do you think only have local TV. I'd say there is a big base there too.

A substantial number no doubt... but are you going after big programs that can make the BTN a more attractive option for a basic cable package or someone who will be on free local tv.

It is all about the BTN and football prowess.

If you get Notre Dame, when their NBC deal is done, the BTN would be on every basic cable package in the country. It is obnoxious, but there are a ton of people who follow ND purely because of the religious affiliation.

At that point, you can offer Sophie Newcomb Women's Finishing School and it won't matter.

If you could pick 4 teams to join the big ten of your own personal preference who would you pick? Not taking into consideration tv contracts, or landscape, just if you had the ability to choose yourself whoever you wanted..

My top 4
1. Notre Dame...They have so many natural geographical rivals it seems so stupid they don't join. Would love to see ND roll into IC and love to see the Tigerhawk playing at ND.

2.Missouri....I really think Missouri has a more SEC feel to them then big ten, but it would give Iowa another border rival. Enclose the big ten around Iowa, every state touching(except sd) would be in the big ten.

3.Pittsburgh...Pitt has always seem to have a big ten feel to me, alot better feel for another eastern school then Rutgers is to me. They'd have a natural rival with Penn state already setup. Also they've played notre dame 63 times and play them almost every year. I could see them being the 14th team in the big ten rather then missouri if Notre Dame joins, just cause I could see Notre Dame requesting that as stipulation if they joined as that's somebody they enjoy playing. Iowa have a history of playing them lately and could see this becoming our cross rival rather then Purdue.

4.Kansas....If we aquired the other 3 football teams, I think I'd enjoy us taking this basketball power to bolster big ten basketball. If Iowa basketball ever comes back to the old level I could see this becoming a minor rivalry at least between fans. i believe all 4 of these schools would add to the basketball side of the conference also. Would probably rival as the best basketball conference with whatever the big East/ACC combined super conference ends up being.

Missed the Cut
Oklahoma...I remember during the old big 8 years I wished nebreska and oklahoma were in the big ten. They probably would of been my old #4 but now they have the texas feel to them, If they would join, I could see texas eventually following. Don't want to see that

Iowa state...I am enjoying seeing the downfall of ISU and rather enjoying it, but their would be a few upsides to see them join. One another rival in the conference and the game becomes a conference game which would open up a non-conference game for another bcs game, which I enjoy seeing Iowa play other bcs schools every year. Also be enjoyable to see them battle minnesota and Indiana for the bottom of the big ten.

Rutgers....Does nothing for me except add TV money, I hope this doesn not happen nobody east or north of pennsylvania cares about college football so why get them involved.

Syracuse...I think they are less of an option now. It seems like not many people realize this, but they withdrew their aau membership when nebreska got kicked out, rather then waiting for the embarassment of being kicked out.

Maryland...just doesn't have a big ten feel to them IMO

Curious to see everyone else top 4 and opinions.

These would be my four. Yes, there's a Notre Dame arrogance but not much different than you experience with Michigan, tOSU or PSU.

No Iowa State -- no need for little sister to ruin the party. Also no Syracuse or Maryland.

Rutgers maybe. Pros: strengthen conference ties to the East Coast; some TV revenue to be had in the NYC and Philly markets; surprisingly strong academics. Cons: athletics has been up and down; Rutgers is spread out in two or three towns with different campuses; not a strong student life feel to it as a sizeable part of the student body leaves campus and goes home over the weekend.

1. Domers great road trip

2. Mizzou another border war and silly trophy

3. Kansas, border war, silly trophy, mediocre football but great hoops!

4. Boston college or Pitt, throw a bone to Penn state

basketball 15 game schedule , play everyone once, plus end of season tourney

football get rid of legends and leaders and get whisky back in the west with the Hawks

My wish list without worry to TV revenue.

Notre Dame - yeah I hate their arrogance also but it sure would be fun to have them on the schedule every year.

Missouri - Border state that would create another fun rivalry. (I wonder what the trophy would look like)

Kansas - Give us another win in football but it would be fun to play them in basketball every year.

New Mexico - I just want to be in Carver Hawkeye when Alford gets announced as head coach of the Lobos and then we kick their a$$. (ok so I could not think of a 4th team that I would want).

After thinking about it, I would not mind if KU, MiZZ, K-State, and ISU joined. I think KSU and ISU are stretches and should be VERY thankful if they get a an invite. But having the Missouri border rivalries and Kansas in would be great. I think all four of these programs would get better as a result of being in a conference that "Shares the Wealth". Would love to see the Hawkeyes come to Lawrence to play Football every other year and every year for Basketball!

Without any doubt, from the Big Ten's perspective, the best choices from a revenue stand point are:

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Duke
4. Virginia/Maryland

You add three superpower research universities, huge TV markets, and great competitive athletic departments. The above expansion would be a home run in nearly every possible way.

A. Northwestern.
2. Wartburg.
3. Davidson.
4. University of Colorado @ Denver.

KU
K-State
Mizzou
Iowa State

Combined with Nebraska, you get 5 of the original "Big 6", which went on to become the Big 8 Conference. The Big Ten becomes a truly dominant conference for Middle America, and all of the long-standing, regional rivalries are preserved (with the exception of Nebraska/Oklahoma, but that changed in 1995 anyway.) It also helps Iowa in that it would probably restructure the divisions and perhaps Iowa would be able to start playing Wisconsin every year again. And, it creates new, regional rivalries. I'm sure there are plenty of Mizzou grads who work and play with Iowa and Illinois grads. I'm sure there are Kansas grads that know Iowa grads. My point is that regional rivalries are what make college athletics fun. I don't know too many people around here that went to Rutgers. I do know a few from Missouri and Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. That's the essence of college athletics. That's why most people watch college athletics, and what separates it from the pros.

Latest posts