If you could pick 4 teams to join big ten...

WhitUp

If you could pick 4 teams to join the big ten of your own personal preference who would you pick? Not taking into consideration tv contracts, or landscape, just if you had the ability to choose yourself whoever you wanted..

My top 4
1. Notre Dame...They have so many natural geographical rivals it seems so stupid they don't join. Would love to see ND roll into IC and love to see the Tigerhawk playing at ND.

2.Missouri....I really think Missouri has a more SEC feel to them then big ten, but it would give Iowa another border rival. Enclose the big ten around Iowa, every state touching(except sd) would be in the big ten.

3.Pittsburgh...Pitt has always seem to have a big ten feel to me, alot better feel for another eastern school then Rutgers is to me. They'd have a natural rival with Penn state already setup. Also they've played notre dame 63 times and play them almost every year. I could see them being the 14th team in the big ten rather then missouri if Notre Dame joins, just cause I could see Notre Dame requesting that as stipulation if they joined as that's somebody they enjoy playing. Iowa have a history of playing them lately and could see this becoming our cross rival rather then Purdue.

4.Kansas....If we aquired the other 3 football teams, I think I'd enjoy us taking this basketball power to bolster big ten basketball. If Iowa basketball ever comes back to the old level I could see this becoming a minor rivalry at least between fans. i believe all 4 of these schools would add to the basketball side of the conference also. Would probably rival as the best basketball conference with whatever the big East/ACC combined super conference ends up being.

Missed the Cut
Oklahoma...I remember during the old big 8 years I wished nebreska and oklahoma were in the big ten. They probably would of been my old #4 but now they have the texas feel to them, If they would join, I could see texas eventually following. Don't want to see that

Iowa state...I am enjoying seeing the downfall of ISU and rather enjoying it, but their would be a few upsides to see them join. One another rival in the conference and the game becomes a conference game which would open up a non-conference game for another bcs game, which I enjoy seeing Iowa play other bcs schools every year. Also be enjoyable to see them battle minnesota and Indiana for the bottom of the big ten.

Rutgers....Does nothing for me except add TV money, I hope this doesn not happen nobody east or north of pennsylvania cares about college football so why get them involved.

Syracuse...I think they are less of an option now. It seems like not many people realize this, but they withdrew their aau membership when nebreska got kicked out, rather then waiting for the embarassment of being kicked out.

Maryland...just doesn't have a big ten feel to them IMO

Curious to see everyone else top 4 and opinions.

Last edited:
1. Notre Dame. Natural fit.
2. Missouri. Lots of TV sets
3. Pittsburgh. Fabulous rival for Penn State.
4. Iowa State. Border rival for Nebby, Wisky and Minny, and Iowa's natural rival.

Iowa State really is a good fit if you think about it. I'm just wondering if the Big Ten will expand again in the foreseeable future.

The next 4 teams to trot out pro combat uni's...don't even care who, just bring the combat gear! That stuff is sweet and I think adds extra "excitement" to the games. And the recruits love it.

1) Notre Dame - whether you want to admit it or not, the conference isn't truly a nationwide conference until Notre Dame joins. Their alums and fans are everywhere, and would make the BTN an automatic on every cable provider in the country.

2) Mizzou - Adds 2 major markets, and borders 2 current states, and has a decent rivalry with Nebraska. Instant rivalry with Iowa and Illinois

3) Pitt - Doesn't expand the footprint, and is the second fiddle in its own state but makes a great rivalry with Penn State and has a world class basketball program.

4) Syracuse - Gets you into NYC lock stock and barrel. Only BCS school in NY State and the biggest deal in NYC.

Pitt - Restores the rivalry with PSU and has decent football and basketball programs.

Missouri - Already has a rivalry with Illinois, history with Nebraska from the Big 8/XII days and a potential border rival for us.

Kansas - Not so much for the occasionally good football program but more for the hoops program.

The fourth one is the toughie for me. ND, no. They've had their chances. ISU, no. K-State, ummm. Decent hoops program, decent football for a few years under Snyder but not sure if they would bring in much more after taking Kansas. Maryland, after seeing their helmets tonight I wanna say no. Decent football and basketball programs and it would bring in additional markets. BC, not sure. Decent but never great hoops and football. Rutgers, other than the new market not sure what they would bring. Syracuse has good traditions in hoops and football but can't get excited about them. If they weren't so geographically wrong I'd say aTm for the fourth school. Rabid football fans and a great tradition, brings in the Texas market, hoops team has been winning lately, women's hoops team just won the title, men's and women's track teams have won at least 2 of the last 3 titles if not the last three.

I guess I'd go with either Maryland or BC.

Top 4:
Pittsburgh - solid in sports, in-state rival, good TV market, already travel to Pennsylvania
Missouri - solid in sports, border-rivals w/ a couple schools
Rutgers - biggest market in the USA, good academics, lack on sports front (although football is getting better) - basically the NW of the east coast for the B1G sake
Louisville - solid in sports, add another TV market and recruiting base

Don't want:
Notre Dame - arrogance, already turned down Big Ten in pat, arrogance, also arrogance.
Texas - ruin every conf they've been, will bring a lot of cash but will take a ton of cash too

1 Notre Dame Logical addition since they are in the middle of the Big 10 footprint
2 Mizzo Borders Iowa and Illinois
3 Kentucky borders Ohio, ILL., Indiana and I think a little bit of Mizzo
4.W Virginia borders Ohio and Penn
Last 3 are also state U's

1) Notre Dame - whether you want to admit it or not, the conference isn't truly a nationwide conference until Notre Dame joins. Their alums and fans are everywhere, and would make the BTN an automatic on every cable provider in the country.

2) Mizzou - Adds 2 major markets, and borders 2 current states, and has a decent rivalry with Nebraska. Instant rivalry with Iowa and Illinois

3) Pitt - Doesn't expand the footprint, and is the second fiddle in its own state but makes a great rivalry with Penn State and has a world class basketball program.

4) Syracuse - Gets you into NYC lock stock and barrel. Only BCS school in NY State and the biggest deal in NYC.

So if ND isn't in you conference, then you aren't a national conference? I guess there is no national conference now and never will be with that opinon.

Syracuse's TV market is 83rd (yes, Syracuse is NYC's "team"), but Rutgers is the only school that has the NYC market (largest in America). Designated Market Area Map

Just some thoughts.

Notre Dame
Missouri
ISU
Pittsburgh-I am not sure what Pittsburgh would truly add to the Big whatever, but I am a Steeler fan a Hawk/Steeler weekend every 5 years or so would be awesome.

So if ND isn't in you conference, then you aren't a national conference? I guess there is no national conference now and never will be with that opinon.

Syracuse's TV market is 83rd (yes, Syracuse is NYC's "team"), but Rutgers is the only school that has the NYC market (largest in America). Designated Market Area Map

Just some thoughts.

The thread was more about who you'd personally want not what brings in the most tv markets or what the big ten will or should do

ISU has no business being in the B1G. Considering the fact that for years all they have done is **** and moan about how weak the B1G is yet when they are about ready to get kicked to the curb all of the sudden the B1G sounds awesome.

Just stay at 12. Notre Dame was given the opportunity and decided to stay independent. They are the only logical choice. With NE's admittance that should be the end.

None of the suggestions make the conference stronger.

Latest posts