If you could have a player come back for this year

I'd have to go with Tate on offense. I think he could excel in a Greg Davis offense, and he had the right kind of moxie for a team like this. He seemed to thrive on the odds being stacked against him.

Defensively, you have to go with Roth, King or Sanders. You can argue all you want about whether we need a presence in the secondary to help cover for the lack of pass rush, or vice versa. But you have to have one of those guys. Looking back on the Ferentz era, those are the three guys who either defined or personified the attitude of Iowa football. Personally, I'd lean towards King or Sanders, and I'd probably pick #33. If there was one player who set the tone for Ferentz's first run of success, it was Sanders.

We could certainly use Reggie Roby's punting. He regularly pinned opponents deep in their own territory. Wore out opposing offenses trying to regain those lost yards, gave the offense a chance to rest up a bit. Greg Davis could certainly use that advantage this coming year.

#GD4prez

Nobody would turn down having a punter like Roby. But he was such a deadly weapon because of how strong the defense was at the time. He would have been a great asset in any case, but pairing a punter like him with a defense like that is lethal.

We don't have a defense like that.

Nobody would turn down having a punter like Roby. But he was such a deadly weapon because of how strong the defense was at the time. He would have been a great asset in any case, but pairing a punter like him with a defense like that is lethal.

We don't have a defense like that.

'Sup, brah? How you been? I haven't posted much because my work computer has a version of IE from back in the days of the Netscape Navigator wars and it doesn't like HN, so sorry if you already discussed this, but did you graduate? If so, plans?

'Sup, brah? How you been? I haven't posted much because my work computer has a version of IE from back in the days of the Netscape Navigator wars and it doesn't like HN, so sorry if you already discussed this, but did you graduate? If so, plans?

Graduated, working in Des Moines at Sports Spotlight (formerly Iowa Sports Connection). Just trying to help build it up a little from the ground floor before moving on.

You have 4 posts now on Hawkeyenation and you have said something negative or tried to correct people in all 4 tries. Its just our opinions. Relax or take a hike
Sorry, didn't realize you were in charge here. Oh wait, you're not. So why don't you take a hike, loser.

Offensively, I would take a QB. Although Stanzi I think has been our best "pure" QB, I think Tate/Banks would run the GD offense better. I would probably take Drew Tate as my final answer.

D is a much harder choice cuz we've had so many good players on that side of the ball, but I would probably take Babs because he was SO disruptive in the middle, it made the entire rest of the defense that much better.

No one player is going to do much for this team. I don't think any one player could make that nosense of an offense work. Iowa already had the talent to win twice as many games as they did last year against that awful schedule and it didn't matter.

When everyone including the coaches are confused it doesn't matter.

That being said I would take Drew Tate. I think he could maybe improvise enough to make something happen.

Offensively, I would take a QB. Although Stanzi I think has been our best "pure" QB, I think Tate/Banks would run the GD offense better. I would probably take Drew Tate as my final answer.

D is a much harder choice cuz we've had so many good players on that side of the ball, but I would probably take Babs because he was SO disruptive in the middle, it made the entire rest of the defense that much better.

Stanzi is probably the best pure dropback passer we've had. Tate was somewhere between Banks and Stanzi in terms of style, but I do think he has been the best overall QB under Ferentz.

Kaeding's automatic points were nice to have, too. And let's not forget how dangerous Kaeding was as a runner. Remember the TD in C'bus?

This would be my answer, regardless of running ability.

If the offense is anything like last year's, Iowa needs someone to put in FG's, and lots of 'em.

The Hawks may not punt on 4th down from the 30, either.

If the offense is anything like last year's, Iowa needs someone to put in FG's, and lots of 'em.

Excellent point. We need to add two ST players to this discussion.

For me, Kaeding and Bernstine or Prater.

Meyer was pretty damn good last year. Not quite Kaeding-caliber, but he had easily the best season since 2003. I'd expect him to get even better this year.

just one ... tough call

Brad Banks or Bob Sanders ???

I'm going Banks since we are breaking in new QBs

Meyer was pretty damn good last year. Not quite Kaeding-caliber, but he had easily the best season since 2003. I'd expect him to get even better this year.

"Easily" the best season since 2003? I'd say Schlicher had as good a year in 2004.

Latest posts