If Jake Starts The Remainder of the Season, Is CJ Gone?

iowalaw

Banned
Let's say Davis is able to insert CJ in the game for a couple of series each game for the remainder of the season, but Jake keeps the starter nod and plays at least 3 quarters per game. Both put up similar numbers. Does CJ transfer at the end of the season, knowing he does not stand a chance of playing next year, with Kirk's golden boy at the helm?

Let's say Davis is able to insert CJ in the game for a couple of series each game for the remainder of the season, but Jake keeps the starter nod and plays at least 3 quarters per game. Both put up similar numbers. Does CJ transfer at the end of the season, knowing he does not stand a chance of playing next year, with Kirk's golden boy at the helm?

nothing he has done indicates he is of the fragile, take my ball and cry mind set.

lots of hypothicals in your question

It's a fair question to think ahead about. I also think it only goes that one way. I don't think if Beathard gets the full job that Rudock leaves. I think with his schooling he's pretty firmly entrenched with it. But I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if Beathard grew up a TN fan or not but boy they could sure use a qb and I think the locals here would love to see a kid like him come home.

Not sure he will leave, but IMO and sadly for him and us fans he will probably be waiting until his Sr. year to be starter at Iowa.

i'm assuming we are talking POSITIVE stats here. so you're saying:

jake over 3 quarters: 1 TD and 100 yards

CJ over 1 quarter: 1 TD and 100 yards

that exact scenario plays out over the next SEVEN games and you don't think the coaches would change a single thing?

this gets even more ridiculous as the stats go up.

i'm assuming we are talking POSITIVE stats here. so you're saying:

jake over 3 quarters: 1 TD and 100 yards

CJ over 1 quarter: 1 TD and 100 yards

that exact scenario plays out over the next SEVEN games and you don't think the coaches would change a single thing?

this gets even more ridiculous as the stats go up.

Haven't you been paying attention? Our coaches are the dumbest coaches in D1.
They would rather lose than play any football player that doesn't remind them of Johnny Unitas.
CJ would have been starting all.season long if the damn dirty hippy would get a haircut.

No. He leaves if Jake starts the rest of the season.

Remember when I said scherff was coming back and CJB was leaving? He planned on it, and was promised a fair chance to compete and show why he should be the starter. So he stayed.

given his performance and Jakes, if he doesn't start, would you really expect him to stay?

Next 2 games should be a battle for being the QB. And then you stick with 1 the rest of the year. If after those 2 games the coaches go with jake, if I were a family member of CJB, I would suggest He transfers immediately. Gets to play 1.5 years.

What are the hypotheticals? Kirk has started Jake every game he has been healthy over the past two years. The only times CJ has seen any playing time in two years, minus one series against Ball State, was when Jake was hurt. What makes you think anything will change now that Jake is even MORE experienced? Kirk alluded to having two good qbs all season, but he gave CJ one series total prior to Jake's injury.

nothing he has done indicates he is of the fragile, take my ball and cry mind set.

What are the hypotheticals? Kirk has started Jake every game he has been healthy over the past two years. The only times CJ has seen any playing time in two years, minus one series against Ball State, was when Jake was hurt. What makes you think anything will change now that Jake is even MORE experienced? Kirk alluded to having two good qbs all season, but he gave CJ one series total prior to Jake's injury.

Just one thing, CJ has gotten better and JR hasn't (at best).

I've given up on this program. If Kirk Ferentz is unable or unwilling to make the changes that will make it a winner, then I have no reason to support him or for that matter Gary Barta.

At this point I lay the Iowa State loss directly at his feet. Conjecture only, but my very strong belief is that the result would have been different if the stronger of the two QBs had played. He didn't.

Read your question..if this happens, or if that happens, or if this and that happened would he leave?

Frankly, I doubt either would. Lots of players win and lose spots, still play, still graduate. If everyone quits there would never be upperclassmen backups. There are, at every program. It is hard to leave when your friends don't... Guys on the team are friends. They'll be in each other's weddings, be god parents, lifelong friends. I don't think Jake or CJ are soft not do they shy from competition. Collectively I think they'll win lots of games and make memories...each with one full year as a full time starter, at a big time program, attending a dang prestigious university. Thank god we didn't all quit back in the day... And I think these two kids are pretty grounded.

That's my take on things. Clearly many others think we have a bunch of guys, or at least 2 that are quitters

I've given up on this program. If Kirk Ferentz is unable or unwilling to make the changes that will make it a winner, then I have no reason to support him or for that matter Gary Barta.

At this point I lay the Iowa State loss directly at his feet. Conjecture only, but my very strong belief is that the result would have been different if the stronger of the two QBs had played. He didn't.

Agreed. I think it's obvious who the better QB is but unfortunately it isn't the "careful" QB. That's why Careful Kirk will start Rudock.

Yeah, because that's the only possible interpretation when a guy leaves the program.

Perhaps he's of the "it's clear I won't get an opportunity here, and I've only got so many years. I'm going to get the most out of them" mind set. If he's a true soph (which the roster seems to indicate) he'd have 3 years to play 2 at another FBS level school. Not only that, he might play for a coach that puts more emphasis on offense. God forbid a kid would try to use his talent to it's fullest potential...it's not as if that's what college is all about...or anything.

Last edited:
Read your question..if this happens, or if that happens, or if this and that happened would he leave?

Frankly, I doubt either would. Lots of players win and lose spots, still play, still graduate. If everyone quits there would never be upperclassmen backups. There are, at every program. It is hard to leave when your friends don't... Guys on the team are friends. They'll be in each other's weddings, be god parents, lifelong friends. I don't think Jake or CJ are soft not do they shy from competition. Collectively I think they'll win lots of games and make memories...each with one full year as a full time starter, at a big time program, attending a dang prestigious university. Thank god we didn't all quit back in the day... And I think these two kids are pretty grounded.

That's my take on things. Clearly many others think we have a bunch of guys, or at least 2 that are quitters

With your grasp of the situation Im amazed that you can use a computer. Well done.

With your grasp of the situation Im amazed that you can use a computer. Well done.

Is a phone a computer. One of them may leave. If they are like most college players, neither will.

Too much hysteria. Good that it's out here vs where as coach fry always said, not 'where the bullets are firing'

If Jake starts the rest of the season, will the OP promise to never post here?

If we ask ******** hypotheticals all day, will anyone hear it?

Latest posts