I was finally able to put a finger on a thought related to this team

I think this team's problem is Stokes not getting excited enough on the bench. I haven't seen the half squat rocking side to side jubilation dance much this season.

You remind me of a lot of guys I play in rec leagues and pick up ball with. I see you making faces when I pull up for three on a 3 on 1 fast break, and trust me I see that you're open, but my shot is nice and I've seen you play before. You might be able to get a lay up but my pull up 3 is still a higher percentage shot. I'm playing to win, not to make sure, some out of shape 35 year old gets enough "touches". You want more touches, get your *** on the boards and show me you deserve it.

I hope your jump shot is better than your comprehension because you didn't even draw iron on that one.

Marble HAS to be selfish. He is the reason these stretch games have even been close.

He has to be selfish on a team full of bigs that never runs post plays.

He has to be selfish when the design of the half court offense is completely one dimensional.

looking at it objectively...Fran's half court offense leaves a LOT to be desired...and his baffling reluctance to full court press with this much "depth", we let teams dictate the pace of play...I don't understand how some people can whine and moan about Kirk being a horrible game day coach...then defend Fran for his game day strategy...it's lacking to say the least.

Both are bad.

If the PGs are going to take 29 out of the team's 62 shots they better combine for 35 to 40 points. The 3rd team all conference player doesn't miss a shot; isn't in foul trouble; and only scores 5 points. This is a problem. Team chemistry comes from sharing the ball. Sharing the ball starts with the PG position. All of this is IMO of course.

I agree but I think the problem is the "offense." It produces nothing then who ever has the ball at the end, usually Gessel or Marble, just has to go one on one. Not every time obviously, they both shoot allot of quick ones too, but the above happens allot.

The real problem I have with them is they won't feed the post when its there, and instead they go back to the "motion" which usualy accomplishes nothing.

The coach has to be okay with this or you would see an effort made to change.

Clearly the problem is not X's & O's. Any coach could've solved those kinda problems by now. Iowa's troubles are in the locker room. The only ones who can solve them are the players and they don't seem interested or able to do so.

A few minor moments not withstanding, I've been sky high on this team all year. I always thought the Hawks would get it figured out. A total homer. Dan Dakich opened my eyes. There are huge chemistry problems that will not be solved this season. The players are done. The team (if there is one) is done. I think even Fran has shifted to neutral and is coasting. Iowa will make the dance, then quietly fade away into that good night.

Next year will be better.

You remind me of a lot of guys I play in rec leagues and pick up ball with. I see you making faces when I pull up for three on a 3 on 1 fast break, and trust me I see that you're open, but my shot is nice and I've seen you play before. You might be able to get a lay up but my pull up 3 is still a higher percentage shot. I'm playing to win, not to make sure, some out of shape 35 year old gets enough "touches". You want more touches, get your *** on the boards and show me you deserve it.

You sound like one bad hombre.

So I agree with Windsor and laid out this case right after the Illinois game.

Mel got sick, Gesell and Oglesby started shooting (last few games poorly, Gesell 22-77, Oglesby 8-27), 0-16 last night. Now add 'The Shooting Subs' mccabres 3-7 11 mins and Joks 0-2 in 5 mins ( 3-9 in 16 mins). These are the teams poorest eFG% shooters and they are taking the most shots. 3-25.

Uthoff, whitey,and Mel go 7-10, and are IOWAs best eFG% but they can't get shots. Several of these FGA were the result of O-Rebs, (2nd chance points, not assisted, and drew fouls and FT).

Rebounding. During IOWAs dominant run to #10, rebound margin hovered in the top 10 nationally and #1 in BIG. Since Mels Sickness, IOWA has been out rebounded in each game. Fran has responded by 'downsizing' or reducing Basabe and Uthoff's mins, in favor of 3 guard configurations resultingin more mins for Oglesby, Jok, and small line ups. You can run when you get ALl the rebounds and get easy transition boards, but DRM gets 0, Olgesby, Jok, and Gesell combine for 2-3, and NW pounds for many o-boards.

FTs. The outside perimeter team shoots 3s but, outside of marble, doesn't get to the FT line. Iowa used to make more than others would attempt. Well that has leveled off now too.

In summary, there may or may nit be 'chemistry' issues, but there is clear quantitative differences in who is Now playing, who is now shooting, team rebounding and transition offense and fewer FT attempted. Those are not 'chemistry' those are player rotation dependent and specific player combination packages, and those are on Fran.

I agree Uthoff, Mel and White dont get enough shots. Uthoff and White should both be able to post up when the play the 3, or at least find a way to take advantage of their huge height advantages. They don't, and when they do they never get the ball and in fact no one gets the ball on the post. This is a coaching issue IMO, the coach has to demand that it happen, he doesn't and instead seems fine with the guards taking all the shots.

As far as going "small" White cant defend the 3, and can't do anything on offense from the perimeter, drive or shoot, and won't post up. Ogelsby is 6'5 Marble 6'6. Thats bigger than most teams go at the 2/3. You have to be able to shoot the 3 to play the 3 IMO. Im all for giving Uthoff more minutes there but White needs to be out of that spot and get back around the bucket where he can do things.

I have no doubt you are awesome at your basketball video game. Xbox or PS3?

I'm in some agreement, but 3/4 the way thri, Iowa was a TOP 4 oEff team. Top 4. So whatever they were doing they were doing at an elite level. What has dramatically changed?

If the PGs are going to take 29 out of the team's 62 shots they better combine for 35 to 40 points. The 3rd team all conference player doesn't miss a shot; isn't in foul trouble; and only scores 5 points. This is a problem. Team chemistry comes from sharing the ball. Sharing the ball starts with the PG position. All of this is IMO of course.

Oh hai Windsore.

I agree Uthoff, Mel and White dont get enough shots. Uthoff and White should both be able to post up when the play the 3, or at least find a way to take advantage of their huge height advantages. They don't, and when they do they never get the ball and in fact no one gets the ball on the post. This is a coaching issue IMO, the coach has to demand that it happen, he doesn't and instead seems fine with the guards taking all the shots.

As far as going "small" White cant defend the 3, and can't do anything on offense from the perimeter, drive or shoot, and won't post up. Ogelsby is 6'5 Marble 6'6. Thats bigger than most teams go at the 2/3. You have to be able to shoot the 3 to play the 3 IMO. Im all for giving Uthoff more minutes there but White needs to be out of that spot and get back around the bucket where he can do things.

Clearly the problem is not X's & O's. Any coach could've solved those kinda problems by now. Iowa's troubles are in the locker room. The only ones who can solve them are the players and they don't seem interested or able to do so.

Actually its clearly part of the problem. How many other teams do you witness in organized basketball with no post offense.

Theres very few and those ones usually have fantastic guard play. Half court offense generally requires post sets.

Are there other issues of chemistry, confidence and effort that are also bad, yes. Lots of issues on this team.

I'm in some agreement, but 3/4 the way thri, Iowa was a TOP 4 oEff team. Top 4. So whatever they were doing they were doing at an elite level. What has dramatically changed?

The transition game was taken away. Beiline showed how to do it, Iowa plays three post players at once so they are going to get the defensive rebound most of the time. Then they wan't to run.

don't crash the offensive glass and just run back after a miss and they are lost.

In the half court sag off everyone but Marble and the other guard so that the other 3 guys cant drive around you and get action going twoards the rim. = lossing streak.

Iowa is a complete mess in the half court, schematically and personnel wise, so they end up jacking 3s and long twos (Marble) because they can't get to the basket or the foul on the drive.

Iowa now basically has to hit long jumpers to win. When they do they can win, when they don't they lose.

It could also be as simple as losing a few close games, then having every team you play catch fire. That 3 game stretch would ruin allot of teams. Losing is contagious and once we started losing, the team got down on themselves. It doesn't mean they hate each other.

It could also be as simple as losing a few close games, then having every team you play catch fire. That 3 game stretch would ruin allot of teams. Losing is contagious and once we started losing, the team got down on themselves. It doesn't mean they hate each other.

I think this carries a lot more weight than the other theories.

I think this carries a lot more weight than the other theories.

I really hope that's all it is because if that's it, its still fixable. Not only that but it won't carry over to next year like some of these other theories would. I think they came out looking for a fresh start, then northwestern burried every shot they took and instantly make them think "here we go again". Hopefully we can get off to a good start shooting in the tourney and with any luck at all maybe the team we play will start cold for once. If that happens that should be all we need to start building some confidence.

That's awesome and it never bothered me when guys did that. I'm always there to get the board and put back, when you throw up that brick! The way I used to rebound, that's a good scenario any way you look at it.

That's awesome and it never bothered me when guys did that. I'm always there to get the board and put back, when you throw up that brick! The way I used to rebound, that's a good scenario any way you look at it.

You wouldn't have gotten the board against me. I'm the rec league box out master!

I really don't know what the solution is but I was taught that good defense leads to easier offensive opportunities. You don't often see a coach pull out a player that is playing good defense. I'd like to see real effort on the defensive end. We saw it at times in the early part of the season. I don't know where that went.