I was finally able to put a finger on a thought related to this team

Iowa should have played in the paint all game and punished them at the FT line. NW had 6 fouls with 16 minutes left in the second half

This happened in the Ill game as well. They got Ill in foul trouble early in the 2nd half and IA never took advantage of it.

I knew I had seen somebody post about something similar to this after Illinois game. It was loesshillshawk ..

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/64269-honest-question-concerns.html

Loesshillshawk:
Having been a coach and dealing with the dreaded "chemistry" issues before. I have really been thinking lately if our issue is more "chemistry" then x's and o's. I deliberately watched the Illinois game through my coaches glasses watching personnel interactions. I noticed several things...Mike never gets much love from his teammates or coaches. I cannot imagine that is an issue Mike exudes...I mean he was voted sportsmanship of the year in the B1G. Aaron White does a lot of coaching on the floor to his teammates...in my opinion a lot of finger pointing, which is never good. He might want to look in the mirror. Woodbury spends more time shaking his head about mistakes then he does than just playing...and he has little or no interaction with anyone other then Mike or White. Marble really has no interaction at all with anybody...I think that is sad. Melsahn has his moments but most of the time he plays very stoically. I also look at our assistant coaches, they look like they could be in the morgue except for Speraw. Point is maybe our issue is Fran and squelching that passion with his, how should I say this, fiery demeanor on the court toward players, officials, scorers benches, chairs, etc. Other coaching staffs are involved...excited...coaching.

I've played for a coach like Fran and it sucks. It sucks all of the fun out of playing and you spend more time worrying about getting yelled at then about playing. Loesshillshawk makes a lot of good points in his post.

Have you watched Iowa this year? When they have the advantage, they either miss a layup, pass it late, or don't pass at all...nothing new there. When opponents even get one guy back, Iowa is lost in the fast break.

just like Gabe moving on every screen 2 or 3 times per game. It needs to stop

Funny thing is I was crucified on here for saying this team would be better off without Marble. Now people are starting to realize it. It's obvious nobody on this team likes him. Kid is ridiculously selfish. Tweeting his own stats to flaunt himself. Always posting pictures of himself. Always retweeteing articles about him and his shoes and ****. He is the problem. Anybody else notice how when somebody gets hot he tries to take their thunder and tried to one up them? Seen in multiple games. Somebody hits 3 threes in a row he comes down and tries to match it even if their wide open

Funny thing is, unless the 3 new Hawks can become dominant players, you will be wrong. Marble is the least of the problems; I am not sure he was playing any different before this stretch than what he is now. The difference, some other guys can't hit a wide open shot, so if he takes it upon himself to try and do a little more, do you blame him or crucify him? You can't have it both ways.

Iowa hasn't forced the ball inside since Jarryd Cole graduated, but then again, inefficient or not Cartwright got to the lane and looked to drop it off.

Basabe can handle things down low. Get in his head early and get him confident....He was in beast mode a few games before getting sick. Woodbury has had flashes as well

I've played for a coach like Fran and it sucks. It sucks all of the fun out of playing and you spend more time worrying about getting yelled at then about playing. Loesshillshawk makes a lot of good points in his post.

Iowa plays well when Mike G is playing well. He is the catalyst of this team

Tell me more

01/05/14 @Wisconsin 75-71 L

This is where the seeds of doubt really took hold. I know there are varying opinions on if the T's cost us the game, but I think one thing that definitely came out of it was a "divided clubhouse" among the team. I just don't think some of the guys could get past that. Just like on this board, some people blamed the loss on the team, some blamed the loss on the coach. I think that some players on the team felt like they had their opportunity taken away from them, and some trust was lost. Add on everything else after that, and you end up here.

Plus, Iowa has the worst ball entry to the post I've ever seen. None of the perimeter players can get it inside. Marble, Gesell, Oglesby. They just don't even try, its like they don't want to give it up. Maybe that's a bit of what you're talking about.

That said, they were were good at that early in yer and were winning.

Something happened since Mel went out....

Do you mean against powerhouses like Nebraska-Omaha, UNC Wilmington and Maryland Eastern Shore? This team has been average all year. Middle of the pack BIG, losing record to top 25 RPI, lose to NW in the BIG tourney. Bad all the way around.

Funny thing is I was crucified on here for saying this team would be better off without Marble. Now people are starting to realize it. It's obvious nobody on this team likes him. Kid is ridiculously selfish. Tweeting his own stats to flaunt himself. Always posting pictures of himself. Always retweeteing articles about him and his shoes and ****. He is the problem. Anybody else notice how when somebody gets hot he tries to take their thunder and tried to one up them? Seen in multiple games. Somebody hits 3 threes in a row he comes down and tries to match it even if their wide open

People here still won't like you saying this, but I am so confused as to what's happened to this team that even I am entertaining the idea. I've said on here a number of times I think Iowa will be fine without him, I think it allows others to step up and be leaders. Marble might be the scoring leader of this team but he is not the emotional leader. Gatens filled that role 2 years ago and last year it was May, it is not part of Marbles game.

01/05/14 @Wisconsin 75-71 L

This is where the seeds of doubt really took hold. I know there are varying opinions on if the T's cost us the game, but I think one thing that definitely came out of it was a "divided clubhouse" among the team. I just don't think some of the guys could get past that. Just like on this board, some people blamed the loss on the team, some blamed the loss on the coach. I think that some players on the team felt like they had their opportunity taken away from them, and some trust was lost. Add on everything else after that, and you end up here.

Interesting thought. Never considered that but the way the dumpster has gone up in flames everything has to be considered.
It would be cool if some one asked Fran what he has done wrong.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Marble is a ball hog. I'm going to get mine, the heck with you. When he's scoring, the fans like it. When other teams figure out a way to shut him down, or at least to take other players out of the flow, well you have the disaster that you've had the past seven games. It shows up on defense as well. He over-extends on some of his assignments, leaving other players uncertain of where they are supposed to be or who they're supposed to be guarding.

I figured it out too Jon. Hawks fans be on the lookout for the Nerdlucks; They have stolen Iowa's basketball ability to challenge MJ and Bugs Bunny to a game of Basketball. Lets just hope MJ and the Tunes win before the start of the NCAA tournament.

Space_Jam_17.jpg

Do you mean against powerhouses like Nebraska-Omaha, UNC Wilmington and Maryland Eastern Shore? This team has been average all year. Middle of the pack BIG, losing record to top 25 RPI, lose to NW in the BIG tourney. Bad all the way around.

Iowa was forced to play NW style ball...How many fast break opportunities were there? NW ran solid offensive sets and finally made some shots. NW deserved the win. Collins couched a great game

Funny thing is, unless the 3 new Hawks can become dominant players, you will be wrong. Marble is the least of the problems; I am not sure he was playing any different before this stretch than what he is now. The difference, some other guys can't hit a wide open shot, so if he takes it upon himself to try and do a little more, do you blame him or crucify him? You can't have it both ways.

Lol you are so blind. Marble is THEE problem. Terrible selfish attitude that obviously shows on and off the court. Guarantee you the players would agree. He has ruined this teams chemistry with how fond of himself he is. There is nothing else to it. Always needs the attention on himself. It's so obvious. Never said it was any different before. Players just got tired of it. This is an internal problem between the team. Nothing more. And he is it.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Marble is a ball hog. I'm going to get mine, the heck with you. When he's scoring, the fans like it. When other teams figure out a way to shut him down, or at least to take other players out of the flow, well you have the disaster that you've had the past seven games. It shows up on defense as well. He over-extends on some of his assignments, leaving other players uncertain of where they are supposed to be or who they're supposed to be guarding.

Everyone is lost on defense. It seems like the zone is getting lazier each game.

Latest posts