I think Kirk Wants to hire Tom Moore

The Patriots were considering him for SOME POSSIBLE PLAY CALLING DUTIES. Are they just letting all their coaches call a few plays each game or what. You are an idiot Miller. The New England Patriots are going to let a unproven young tight ends coach call plays. Huh.

From wikipedia:

McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001 as a personnel assistant. From 2002 to 2003, he served as a defensive coaching assistant for the team, working with the defensive backs in 2003. In 2004, he became the team's quarterbacks coach. After offensive coordinator Charlie Weis left the team following the 2004 season, the Patriots did not name an offensive coordinator for the 2005 season. According to The New York Times, in 2008, it was McDaniels who called the offensive plays for the 2005 season, although suggestions to that effect were made in 2005. After the season, McDaniels was officially promoted to offensive coordinator, while retaining his responsibilities coaching the team's quarterbacks

McDaniels and Ferentz have had pretty much identical career paths with New England...and McDaniels was calling plays in 2004 as a 28 year old and OC at 29. Brian began his Pats career as a personal assistant, then started working with tight ends although not officially a position coach, then became an official position coach...and he will be 29 next month.

Next?

david_pwned.jpg

/thread

From wikipedia:

McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001 as a personnel assistant. From 2002 to 2003, he served as a defensive coaching assistant for the team, working with the defensive backs in 2003. In 2004, he became the team's quarterbacks coach. After offensive coordinator Charlie Weis left the team following the 2004 season, the Patriots did not name an offensive coordinator for the 2005 season. According to The New York Times, in 2008, it was McDaniels who called the offensive plays for the 2005 season, although suggestions to that effect were made in 2005. After the season, McDaniels was officially promoted to offensive coordinator, while retaining his responsibilities coaching the team's quarterbacks

McDaniels and Ferentz have had pretty much identical career paths with New England...and McDaniels was calling plays in 2004 as a 28 year old and OC at 29. Brian began his Pats career as a personal assistant, then started working with tight ends although not officially a position coach, then became an official position coach...and he will be 29 next month.

Next?
Not a ton of accomplished jounalist that would quote wikipedia to establish a point. Doesn't suprise me coming from you though.

And then people wonder why we get pi$#y about the constant criticism....I only hope and pray that “thisâ€￾ is your outlet for this, because if you are like this in all facets of life, you’d be painstakingly tiresome…..

Oh, OK, Chad.. I hope you can finally zip it when it comes to Iowa's offense.

Good grief man...

Not a ton of accomplished jounalist that would quote wikipedia to establish a point. Doesn't suprise me coming from you though.

just because something is on Wikipedia doesn't make it any more or less credible. But in the case of Wikipedia, articles actually are required to have references. The passage Jon is citing quotes a NY Times Article stating that McDaniels had play-calling duties during the 2005 season, even though New England hadn't yet named McDaniels the o-coordinator that season.

The point I believe Jon was trying to make was that Brian Ferentz is/was very well thought of by Belichick, and that Belichick has a history of turning over play-calling duties to young coaches. The o-coordinator the Pats (Bill O'Brien) took the head job at Penn State, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Brian Ferentz would have assumed some play-calling duties this year.

Brian correctly sees it as a step up because he knows for a FACT what JM was speculating about with his original post. Brian isn't coming to Iowa to spend 16 years as a (go-nowhere) position coach like Jay Paterno. Brian wants to be a head coach just like his father.

With the Patriots Brian was on a nice career path but with no job security as the NFL doesn't work that way.

With Iowa Brian also has a nice career path AND job security.

So if you had a choice between the two, which one would you latch onto?

That's right, you'd make the choice Brian made.

I second this. This Iowa move for Brian is not a lateral move from the NFL. His, I assume, differing experience at Iowa will eventually lead Brian to a head coaching job somewhere. I won't be at all surprised if Brian becomes a defensive coach at Iowa (if and when KF shakes up his staff again).

IMO, this is what Brian ultimately wants - a head coaching job.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that you are embarrassed for posting the quote above.

KF has proven that he has no interest in changing anything he does and is only interested in hiring yes men. Let's be honest here. Brian would be coaching at a high school now if it weren't for his dad's help. KF does not need to win at Iowa to keep his job. He has a long term contract and a $2.6 million per year buyout. He can effectively thumb his nose at the press, the administration, and the fans. He hasn't taken Iowa to the next level, but he has made himself a multi-millionaire. Back to your kool-aid!

KF has proven that he has no interest in changing anything he does and is only interested in hiring yes men. Let's be honest here. Brian would be coaching at a high school now if it weren't for his dad's help. KF does not need to win at Iowa to keep his job. He has a long term contract and a $2.6 million per year buyout. He can effectively thumb his nose at the press, the administration, and the fans. He hasn't taken Iowa to the next level, but he has made himself a multi-millionaire. Back to your kool-aid!

If I'm drinking kool-aid for understanding that professional pride is a motivating factor for anyone coaching at a major university then you've been drinking stupid juice.

Thanks for that dose of reality. Time for the Hawkeye faithful to now commit sepaku, as Coach F has brought us unbearable shame.

Re: Good grief man...

just because something is on Wikipedia doesn't make it any more or less credible. But in the case of Wikipedia, articles actually are required to have references. The passage Jon is citing quotes a NY Times Article stating that McDaniels had play-calling duties during the 2005 season, even though New England hadn't yet named McDaniels the o-coordinator that season.

The point I believe Jon was trying to make was that Brian Ferentz is/was very well thought of by Belichick, and that Belichick has a history of turning over play-calling duties to young coaches. The o-coordinator the Pats (Bill O'Brien) took the head job at Penn State, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Brian Ferentz would have assumed some play-calling duties this year.

Whether or not the info on wikipedia is relevant, credible, or otherwise is not the point. The point is that no professional would ever use it as a source. Most college courses don't even allow it to be cited as a reference. I agree that BF is a fine young coach and in time could become even better, but to think he was going to assume play calling duties for the Pats is absurd. Why would he leave that gig to be the o-line coach at a mid-level college program. What is Jon's source in the first place for the info that he was being considered for these responsibilities? Wikipedia I suppose.

4CFD7839-BB24-404F-84C8C9F2B8FC6D44.jpg

just because something is on Wikipedia doesn't make it any more or less credible. But in the case of Wikipedia, articles actually are required to have references. The passage Jon is citing quotes a NY Times Article stating that McDaniels had play-calling duties during the 2005 season, even though New England hadn't yet named McDaniels the o-coordinator that season. The point I believe Jon was trying to make was that Brian Ferentz is/was very well thought of by Belichick, and that Belichick has a history of turning over play-calling duties to young coaches. The o-coordinator the Pats (Bill O'Brien) took the head job at Penn State, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Brian Ferentz would have assumed some play-calling duties this year.
Whether or not the info on wikipedia is relevant, credible, or otherwise is not the point. The point is that no professional would ever use it as a source. Most college courses don't even allow it to be cited as a reference. I agree that BF is a fine young coach and in time could become even better, but to think he was going to assume play calling duties for the Pats is absurd. Why would he leave that gig to be the o-line coach at a mid-level college program. What is Jon's source in the first place for the info that he was being considered for these responsibilities? Wikipedia I suppose.

Are you stupid or is it you just can't read? He cited the New York Times. Stop being a tool.

What exactly is up your craw?

this is the beauty of the Internet. Information can be evaluated, judged, commented on and tested for validity and accuracy.

The reason people come to Jon's site is that he offers his own analysis, thoughts and speculation to what is going on with Iowa. If we just wanted a regurgitation of the Iowa press release, I can read that on hawkeyesports.com.

Jon was fairly clear that he was drawing comparisons between the coaching career arc of Brian Ferentz and McDaniels. If you are of the belief that B. Ferentz doesn't have enough experience to be a position coach at Iowa, that's fine, and who knows, you might be right.

As to why Brian Ferentz would come back to Iowa, read Marc Morehouse's piece in the Gazette on the hiring.
Staff shuffle 2 done, stage set for No. 3 | TheGazette

It's obvious B. Ferentz considers Iowa a special place. My guess is Iowa is the only college job he would have left the Patriots for. Again, that's just a guess based on my own reading of the situation, no one has cited that in a news article anywhere.

It's obvious to me, Dodger, Brian considers Iowa a special place because of the 'special coaching opportunities' he will receive at Iowa.

EDIT: I don't see nepotism as being bad. Was it a bad move in Oklahoma?
Are Sooner fans having the same meltdown?

Last edited:
The following is from the New England Patriots official website:

McDaniels joined Bill Belichick’s staff in New England as a defensive coaching assistant who also assisted in the personnel department in 2001. He moved into the coaching capacity as an assistant in 2002 and after two seasons as a coaching assistant, McDaniels was named New England’s quarterbacks coach in 2004. The club promoted him to offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on Jan. 20, 2006.

You will find the information consistent with what was shared from Wikipedia.

Hawkrod, I am going to do us both a favor, and that is save each other time and irritation. Take care.

Last edited:

Latest posts