I think Kirk Wants to hire Tom Moore

I believe that KF is more concerned about grooming Brian for a head coaching job than he is about winning games at Iowa. So yes, you might be right.

Best of luck in the special olympics, though the chances of you not being declared academically ineligible are extremely low.

If there are truly Iowa fans that believe this, I really hope they just pass this site by and go pollute someone else's message boards. I don't want them around here.

All you have to do is look at the reactions of some people on every staff hire he has made this offseason.

To some people here there is nothing he can do to please them, but yet they don't have the guts to suggest that they want a new HEAD COACH.

You want to fire KF, fine, make the argument.

But there is too much passive agressive BS as it relates to KF.

Case in point - Phil Parker has been every bit as good of a position coach as Soup Campbell has for Iowa. Parker causes a meltdown, but everyone thinks Soup is God's gift to offensive play calling.

I may have mis-interpreted a post earlier that I thought was in agreement with Jon. I am in agreement with Jon on the topic of hiring his son to advance his career...whoever posted that, pure douchebaggery. Ignorance. Some just will ***** about anything. I like the hire and I like him on our staff. Unfortunately, all fan bases have some douchebaggery.

From wikipedia:

McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001 as a personnel assistant. From 2002 to 2003, he served as a defensive coaching assistant for the team, working with the defensive backs in 2003. In 2004, he became the team's quarterbacks coach. After offensive coordinator Charlie Weis left the team following the 2004 season, the Patriots did not name an offensive coordinator for the 2005 season. According to The New York Times, in 2008, it was McDaniels who called the offensive plays for the 2005 season, although suggestions to that effect were made in 2005. After the season, McDaniels was officially promoted to offensive coordinator, while retaining his responsibilities coaching the team's quarterbacks

McDaniels and Ferentz have had pretty much identical career paths with New England...and McDaniels was calling plays in 2004 as a 28 year old and OC at 29. Brian began his Pats career as a personal assistant, then started working with tight ends although not officially a position coach, then became an official position coach...and he will be 29 next month.

Next?

Let's just hope Brian is slightly more successful than McDaniels was once he left New England.

why are people saying going from an asst at ne to IOWA is a move that is a step down for Brian? could it be being a coach at Iowa is a job he covets and would be happy at ? even if the money is comparable IC has to be cheaper than boston.

This thread is Vintage. MNFreak and OK4P this one has some fire and should be considered for some sort of award.

Last edited:
why are people saying going from an asst at ne to IOWA is a move that is a step down for Brian? could it be being a coach at Iowa is a job he covets and would be happy at ? even if the money is comparable IC has to be cheaper than boston.

No way. Brians dad Kurt just wants him to fail and he's going to drag down the entire family in the process. Pops just want's to pull him away from a great job so they can collapse together. :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:
Going from a position coach with one of the best NFL organizations to being a position coach in a Big Ten school is not a step up. At best, BEST, its a lateral move but not even likely.

So you can very easily argue that this is perhaps a risky career move for Brian...and I guarantee you father and son talked about that...because we'd all agree Kirk likely wouldn't want to cause Brian's career to stall, right?

So yes, the post I referred to as ignorant, stands; it's ignorant.

There was a pretty recent article (posted somewhere here) about Brian Ferentz. The quotes from Bill B were glowing. Brian was asked to compared the NFL and college games. His answer may have been slanted because he knew he was coming back to Iowa but his answer suggested he loved the college game more. It's possible he took a step backward in order to move on with a game he truly loves.

I'm also in the camp that hopes Tom M is OC or assistant OC. Ferentz does seem really high on Raih and he has, what?, 1-2 years left to be a GA. What great grooming for all of these young guys.

If there are truly Iowa fans that believe this, I really hope they just pass this site by and go pollute someone else's message boards. I don't want them around here.

Then you must not visit the basketball board often where you let two posters pollute every single thread.

I know, it doesn't make any sense. If Brian didn't see it as a step up he wouldn't have taken it.

Brian correctly sees it as a step up because he knows for a FACT what JM was speculating about with his original post. Brian isn't coming to Iowa to spend 16 years as a (go-nowhere) position coach like Jay Paterno. Brian wants to be a head coach just like his father.

With the Patriots Brian was on a nice career path but with no job security as the NFL doesn't work that way.

With Iowa Brian also has a nice career path AND job security.

So if you had a choice between the two, which one would you latch onto?

That's right, you'd make the choice Brian made.

Wow...there are some serious morons on this board. I honestly believe KF wants to win games, not groom his son like some ape in the wild.

Brian Ferentz is coming to Iowa for two reasons. He wants to coach at his alma mater and he wants to become a head coach some day. Anyone ever hear of coaches wanting to go back to where they played? Michigan looks for Michigan guys...OSU looks for OSU guys. Why wouldn't Iowa look and give preference to Iowa guys? Brian was, contrary to some moronic posts, a very respected coach in NE as his boss was pretty happy with him and has said so publicly. This was a great hire for Iowa...period.

Has anyone thought maybe Brian was coming here to save his old man's job and bring him into the 21st Century offensively? This is my take, and I doubt Brian is going to be a yes man to dad. They like to win.

Tom Moore would also be a great hire...I don't care how old he is. And yes, he would be there to get some guys ready to take over in a few years.

I believe that KF is more concerned about grooming Brian for a head coaching job than he is about winning games at Iowa. So yes, you might be right.

I sincerely hope that you are embarrassed for posting the quote above.

This thread is Vintage. MNFreak and OK4P this one has some fire and should be considered for some sort of award.

At first you confused me. I thought you were trying to say that this thread is a crabby middle-aged, left leaning, whiskey-drinking, Hawk loving, plastic pellet selling, audiophile guy. But then I figured out by "Vintage" you meant classic.

Do you want to nominate the thread or just a couple of the posts? There are some doozies!

(Thanks for the new sig Win. Couldn't agree more.)

Latest posts