I think it's time to get May off the court.

Herky7

I'm not bashing or anything, but it's time. He has no value at the moment except off the bench. He doesn't score alot of points and is not a scoring threat and he hasn't impressed me on the defensive side either.

Whats wrong with this lineup? I feel like Gatens could handle the SF spot in an up tempo offense. He has the upper body strength to be fine there. Very quick hands on defense too. I also think Oglesby could shoot lights out if he had more time to prove himself.

PG-Marble
SG-Oglesby
SF-Gatens
PF-White
C-Basabe

May's on-ball defense is VERY good. The lineup you just posted is damn weak defensively. White and Oglesby are not starting-caliber on the defensive end right now, which is where we're struggling the most. Plus, not having McCabe in the starting 5 at this point is just ridiculous. He has more than held his own at the 5 spot.

And Oglesby hasn't done much offensively this year, either. That's not to say he never will, but he's done nothing in his time on the floor that screams "START ME!!!" He's a solid role player off the bench for right now, and his role is as a shooter.

Each player has a specific role. Just because May might only chip in 5 points doesn't mean he has no value as a starter. When May, Marble, and Gatens are on the floor, we have three good on-ball defenders out there. There is a LOT of value in that.

Seriously, one bad game, and we have new posters calling for lineup changes.

May's on-ball defense is VERY good. The lineup you just posted is damn weak defensively. White and Oglesby are not starting-caliber on the defensive end right now, which is where we're struggling the most. Plus, not having McCabe in the starting 5 at this point is just ridiculous. He has more than held his own at the 5 spot.And Oglesby hasn't done much offensively this year, either. That's not to say he never will, but he's done nothing in his time on the floor that screams "START ME!!!" He's a solid role player off the bench for right now, and his role is as a shooter.Each player has a specific role. Just because May might only chip in 5 points doesn't mean he has no value as a starter. When May, Marble, and Gatens are on the floor, we have three good on-ball defenders out there. There is a LOT of value in that.Seriously, one bad game, and we have new posters calling for lineup changes.

this

May's on-ball defense is VERY good. The lineup you just posted is damn weak defensively. White and Oglesby are not starting-caliber on the defensive end right now, which is where we're struggling the most. Plus, not having McCabe in the starting 5 at this point is just ridiculous. He has more than held his own at the 5 spot.

And Oglesby hasn't done much offensively this year, either. That's not to say he never will, but he's done nothing in his time on the floor that screams "START ME!!!" He's a solid role player off the bench for right now, and his role is as a shooter.

Each player has a specific role. Just because May might only chip in 5 points doesn't mean he has no value as a starter. When May, Marble, and Gatens are on the floor, we have three good on-ball defenders out there. There is a LOT of value in that.

Seriously, one bad game, and we have new posters calling for lineup changes.

Most repeated myth 1B.

the saddest part is taking out mccabe. what is your reasoning. i would be ok with benching basabe with his play but mccabe has been 1 of the top 3 players on the team lately. i put white 4th because he is still a frosh and is still more up and down than marble, gatens, and mccabe. i think white off the bench is the best energy move we have and may is our best on ball defender. i dont think anyone ever expected may to light up the scoreboard. i thought he would be a lock down defender on the perimeter that could knock down a couple 3s and have a dunk or 2 a game. he is a solid role player.

PG - Marble
Wing - Gatens
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - McCabe

That should be the primary lineup the rest of the season. Basabe and McCabe will likely end up sharing the PF position next year and Gatens, Marble and Oglesby with May mixed in will handle the wing positions and Gessel, Marble and backup will rotate through the PG position.

There is zero reason to keep playing future lineup out of position other than to stay semi-competitive this year. McCabe is not a C and White is more than capable of playing the wing.

PG - Marble
Wing - Gatens
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - McCabe

That should be the primary lineup the rest of the season. Basabe and McCabe will likely end up sharing the PF position next year and Gatens, Marble and Oglesby with May mixed in will handle the wing positions and Gessel, Marble and backup will rotate through the PG position.

There is zero reason to keep playing future lineup out of position other than to stay semi-competitive this year. McCabe is not a C and White is more than capable of playing the wing.

I may be reading this wrong, but Gatens is a senior.

PG - Marble
Wing - Gatens
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - McCabe

This year:
pg - marble (out of position but best option)
sg - gatens (senior and done after this year)
sf - may (good defense, knows his role)
pf - basabe (his play could allow white to take this spot)
c - mccabe (he is playing great ball)
6 - white or basabe (depends on how basabe plays and if he would accept the role)

next year: (shifting must occur)
pg - frosh (one of them will start and one will come off bench, but same minutes)
sg - marble (starting to think ogelsby will need another year)
sf - may (still defensive role player - white isnt a 3 for consistent minutes)
pf - mccabe (i think he has outplayed basabe and will continue unless basabe fixes things)
c - frosh (woodbury or meyer could get this)
6 - white (brings an incredible energy that is always needed off the bench and he is good in the role)

you have to think offense and defense. white is great on offense and not so good on defense so may gives us a defensive stopper we would lack if he is off the floor.

OP, insert face palm.. What business does Basabe have in your starting line up. May may be limited,but he hustles and plays hard when he's in there. Leaving McCabe out of the lineup??????????? He's probably the best player on the team right now. What's your infatuation with Oglesby? He's a 3 point threat,but his game is very limited right now.

I'm not bashing or anything, but it's time. He has no value at the moment except off the bench. He doesn't score alot of points and is not a scoring threat and he hasn't impressed me on the defensive side either.

Whats wrong with this lineup? I feel like Gatens could handle the SF spot in an up tempo offense. He has the upper body strength to be fine there. Very quick hands on defense too. I also think Oglesby could shoot lights out if he had more time to prove himself.

PG-Marble
SG-Oglesby
SF-Gatens
PF-White
C-Basabe

May has many shortcomings. But there is no way that Josh is a better defender than May. No chance. So then what? Are we going to ask Josh to outscore his guy? Have you seen the number of shots he passes up because he's scared to take them? And that's him coming off the bench. You don't think the sphincter to tighten up even more if Fran told him he was starting?

Thats why last season's off season was so important. No one transferred or quit. So now we we can at least have Oglesby play a supporting role and ease him into things. May's not good, don't get me wrong. You just have to be patient and realize this thing, if done right, won't be done overnight.

You leave Basabe in the starting lineup because he doesnt seem like the kind of guy that would do well coming off the bench. In my opinion. Plus, and take this FWIW, Fran says he's getting it done in practice and thats why he continues to start.

Still, Fran's comments after the game the other night lends me to believe the time may be coming sooner rather than later that he benches Basabe.

PG-Marble
SG-Oglesby
SF-Gatens
PF-White
C-Basabe

I am not a fan of May but name me one thing that Ogelsby does better than May? Think carefully about your answer because the obvious response is false

Offensively I can think of a few, namely ball handling and footwork.

I went back and forth on ball handling and you are probably right but neither of them handle it well enough to bring it up the floor or create their own shot so in my mind its about a wash.

Josh's biggest strength is his ability to shoot the rock but for whatever reason he hasnt been able to make shots consistently. Until he starts making shots he doesnt contribute much right now.

May has to play angry and with fire. He has been too passive. His freshman year he had fire. I remember him sprinting down the court to make spectacular blocks on fast breaks and making steal after steal and high flying dunks - those are the reasons people were so high on him. He either no longer has that ability or it is in his head and I think it is the latter.

I am not a fan of May but name me one thing that Ogelsby does better than May? Think carefully about your answer because the obvious response is false

How about makes shots on a fairly consistent basis. May has missed so many drive-ins lately, it is ridiculous....and then it is off to the races the other way for Iowa's opponents.

How about makes shots on a fairly consistent basis. May has missed so many drive-ins lately, it is ridiculous....and then it is off to the races the other way for Iowa's opponents.

check out their FG percentages...May is a better 2 pt shooter and 3 pt shooter

Latest posts