I think Hawkeye message boards right now are a good example

Hold the phone "Familiarity" does not breed contempt, but incompetence and losing do. Granted, there has been improvement this year, but to blame familiarity as the culprit is just flat out wrong. 4-8 is what bred contempt. Clock mismanagement, attrition, bloated salaries, and losing is why there is contempt here. If we were 8-4 last year and ferentz was even .500 in the big ten over the past few years, then maybe your opinion holds an ounce of merit. But given our recent history, you just sound like a ferentz apologist.
Idiot.

I understand that everyone wants and needs a blowout over a subpar team that we should rip apart every year but........ osu struggled with this very same team and had them beat by 3 points if it was not for a fumble in the end zone with no time left. So if osu actually only won by 3 what makes people think we should of beat them by 3 touchdowns. I know I was hoping for that myself but just stop and think about it. We played osu just as tiff as Nw and that pains me to say that. The HAWKEYES are my team and I'm gonna be rooting for them always. Hopefully we will make it to a bowl game and turn this whole thing around. GO HAWKS!

I understand that everyone wants and needs a blowout over a subpar team that we should rip apart every year but........ osu struggled with this very same team and had them beat by 3 points if it was not for a fumble in the end zone with no time left. So if osu actually only won by 3 what makes people think we should of beat them by 3 touchdowns. I know I was hoping for that myself but just stop and think about it. We played osu just as tiff as Nw and that pains me to say that. The HAWKEYES are my team and I'm gonna be rooting for them always. Hopefully we will make it to a bowl game and turn this whole thing around. GO HAWKS!

I don't necessarily think it was the margin of the final score - it was more the fact that yet again we are pounding a team at half and then we go in the tank.

That's what people are concerned with.

The offense did a good job of adjusting last week. The defense was the problem in Columbus. In many years, fans could quickly (and correctly) point at the offense as the source of the problems. This year, both the offense and defense have taken turns in making poor (or no) adjustments.

They could have played with 12 guys in the second half and not been able to stop them. OSU is too fast and athletic for the D to stop for 60 minutes. We landed a few jabs to keep it competitive for as long as possible There was no way we have the manpower to keep up the whole game.

When that happened, this "style" was more the norm. Now, fans want high scoring offenses with QBs that can do it all. Again, I don't mind a ball controlled, defensive minded team. Some day, defenses will rule college football. Just not this year.

I enjoy watching Oregon and Baylor just as much as the next guy, but that ain't happening in Iowa City. You have to realistically look at what Iowa is going to be able to get on the recruiting trails, and it ain't gonna look like Baylor or Oregon. The recruiting base is not there, and Iowa doesn't have Phil Knight.

They're defensive adjustment was poorly which Meyer pointed out in the post game interview. Made the adjustment for Colter today, woulda been nice to see that last week.

There was a reason why we didn't make the adjustment last week at OSU. It's called much better receivers at OSU. We gambled that we could get enough stops and that Meyer wouldn't want us punishing his QB the whole game because he was running. The problem with our strategy is that we didn't get any solid bone jarring hits on Miller. I get why Parker did the over and under with their WR, because that was where they had the major advantage on our secondary. Once again, we hammer the crap out of Miller when he runs and it's maybe a different day. Give him credit...he got down well and didn't take shots. Let me tell you though, Alabama would play OSU very similar to what Iowa did for part of the game...their guys will get the shots and hammer the running QB. Then again, they may have a spy because they trust their corners in man too.

Here is the problem at Iowa, KF took over the worst program in the Big Ten and made them contenders. That really sums it up, but here is the issue and I have said this for years: Iowa has not ever beaten the best teams in the conference. The "shared" conference titles, did they beat the team they "shared" with? When Iowa has played OSU they lost and the problems that are showing today, showed in those games.

I'd toss your opinion out, because you're never going to be happy. Good grief, you are splitting hairs about that stuff? I remember saying that if the day came that Iowa fans became like Nebraska fans, I was gonna look for something else to do. We may be getting close ;)

When Mike Hlas did the research and wrote that article three years ago on the number of games Iowa has lost since 2005 whilst being double digit favorites it was shocking. Especially in comparison to rest of the Big Ten (BADgers were flawless) whose combined losses over the same time frame were about the same as Ferentz. Pair that with playing essentially .500 football over the same time vs. NW, Indiana, ISU and MN - all lesser programs to Iowa - and it makes for a fan base with a lot of pent up frustration for the failings of "Ferentz ball".

I enjoy watching Oregon and Baylor just as much as the next guy, but that ain't happening in Iowa City. You have to realistically look at what Iowa is going to be able to get on the recruiting trails, and it ain't gonna look like Baylor or Oregon. The recruiting base is not there, and Iowa doesn't have Phil Knight.

Oregon's facilities and locker room makes Iowa's facilities look like a rundown homeless shelter.

at first glance it would appear that Jon is blaming the attitude of the fans for why the program is down...

You're right, that would be stupid. How in the **** can the attitude of the fans affect the performance of the program? The fans don't suit up.

Honesty this feels like a troll post from Jon because if you read his review of the game he pretty much says a lot of things which everyone else is saying - that guess what aren't all RA RA and positive.

Oh, I'd say there were some common threads, it's just that I took my meds when some others have gone off the farm ;)

I'm happy for the win, it was great to beat a team that always seems to have our number. But since the Hawks won, we have to pretend like nothing is wrong with the program? Cause unless you're blind, you have to know something is a little off with the in-game coaching decisions (especially offensively).

I'm happy for the win, it was great to beat a team that always seems to have our number. But since the Hawks won, we have to pretend like nothing is wrong with the program? Cause unless you're blind, you have to know something is a little off with the in-game coaching decisions (especially offensively).

There is no doubt the program is not where anyone wants it, including coaches. But the reactions of some people around here and other message boards is just embarrassing. I hope that people aren't really like that.

You're right, that would be stupid. How in the **** can the attitude of the fans affect the performance of the program? The fans don't suit up.

or coach. thank goodness. these message board fans are just brutal - JD, i don't know how you do it. i think the collective IQ of many, if shipped to Missouri, would lower that state's collective IQ....and that is sayin' something.

Last edited by a moderator:
or coach. thank goodness. these message board fans are just brutal - JD, i don't know how you do it. i think the collective IQ of many, if shipped to Missouri, would lower that's state's collective IQ....and that is sayin' something.

I've been around message boards for over two decades. It's hardly a unique phenomenon here...it's everywhere. Most people don't visit boards and when they do, they don't post. Only the most passionate of the passionate post on the boards. It can be a lot of fun, except when the passionate are are drunk or just generally obtuse. That doesn't mean that I can't be obtuse at times, too. So I add to the problem ;)

or coach. thank goodness. these message board fans are just brutal - JD, i don't know how you do it. i think the collective IQ of many, if shipped to Missouri, would lower that's state's collective IQ....and that is sayin' something.

Iowa fans are no different than fans anywhere else - this entire "spoiled" Iowa fan theory is tremendously flawed.

Fans expectations ebb and flow with program success and history.

In general Midwestern fans are much more forgiving - some of y'all need to take a trip to the east coast.

seriously.

people have always bitached about ferentz' offense. nothing new this year. JD compared this team to '08 a week or so ago. One good thing is how that team turned out if that comparison plays out. they lost to NW, even with the great SG - so nice win today.

the thing that Iowa fan (at least on this board) seemingly fails to realize is there is another team on the field who is trying to win too....and many of these teams have more talent than does iowa (year in-year out). for iowa to field a top notch team, generally they have to field 4th and 5th year players, in bunches. that hasn't changed either - over time. the better the players on the field, the better those 'in game decisions' are.

let's hope we finish out like '08 and win some or all of these remaining games and have a nice bowl game.

Iowa fans are no different than fans anywhere else - this entire "spoiled" Iowa fan theory is tremendously flawed.

Fans expectations ebb and flow with program success and history.

In general Midwestern fans are much more forgiving - some of y'all need to take a trip to the east coast.

seriously.

i used to live on long island. seriously.

Latest posts