I think Hawkeye message boards right now are a good example

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
of why many in the coaching profession feel 10 years at the same job is about the max. Familiarity breeds too much contempt. Way too much.

of why many in the coaching profession feel 10 years at the same job is about the max. Familiarity breeds too much contempt. Way too much.

Its amazing, isnt it? Not sure where the entitlement mentality has come from over the last 10-15 years, but its sickening!

$3.9 million breeds much contempt too.... when you aren't even competitive in the Legends, let alone a B1G

I never really thought about this but it makes a ton of sense.

Maybe I'm crazy but overall I have seen a Bunch of changes(positive changes) in game plan, plays, defenses, personnel, etc. I have seen some same old same old as well....

I've always understood the frustrations folks have(even agreed with some)...just not to the levels expressed the last couple years.

$3.9 million breeds much contempt too.... when you aren't even competitive in the Legends, let alone a B1G

Just curious....how much of his $3.9M are you contributing? I'm gonna guess zero since the money guys genuinely love Kirk.

We are 4 games into the B10. Let's see how we finish because I think three of the last four are very, very winnable. So we go 8-4 and you are disappointed? I think we need to let this thing play out. I think the team has gotten much better...and more importantly, I think they will be better next year too. Things are pointing up people...all is good, remain calm, all is good.

One of the problems is that KF is similar to the Todd Lickliter of football. It's just not the style most fans want to see. I don't mind the game plan . . . ball control, win with defense. In the last two years, KF has tried to adjust (with the hire of Greg Davis) however, KF just doesn't seem committed to the change.

it's the new generation of morons being bred at our universities. Everyone owes them something.

Well this just makes no sense... contempt has nothing to do with entitlement. Its about expectations. We play each season to win the championship - that's the only reason. Its important for our state pride and for us fans. When you continually fail to even challenge - expectations are unmet ergo you get contempt.

Sure, we are a little better than last year.

Hold the phone "Familiarity" does not breed contempt, but incompetence and losing do. Granted, there has been improvement this year, but to blame familiarity as the culprit is just flat out wrong. 4-8 is what bred contempt. Clock mismanagement, attrition, bloated salaries, and losing is why there is contempt here. If we were 8-4 last year and ferentz was even .500 in the big ten over the past few years, then maybe your opinion holds an ounce of merit. But given our recent history, you just sound like a ferentz apologist.

We are 4 games into the B10. Let's see how we finish because I think three of the last four are very, very winnable. So we go 8-4 and you are disappointed? I think we need to let this thing play out. I think the team has gotten much better...and more importantly, I think they will be better next year too. Things are pointing up people...all is good, remain calm, all is good.

Agree - wholehearted. We could win out (well probably not next week) It could end up a very nice season.

One of the problems is that KF is similar to the Todd Lickliter of football. It's just not the style most fans want to see. I don't mind the game plan . . . ball control, win with defense. In the last two years, KF has tried to adjust (with the hire of Greg Davis) however, KF just doesn't seem committed to the change.

Pathetic comparison in coaches.

Hmmm...Todd Lickliter, really? I seem to recall a few championships from KF. In addition, he gets to the post season pretty often...and you know what he does when he get there...he wins. Oh, and he beats the SEC pretty regularly. What's not to like? We are rebuilding...but the team is progressing and getting better. I like the product so far this year...and see major upside in the next few years.

Tell me one team that we have played that would say Iowa was an easy out? OSU, no. MSU, no. NIU, no. Sometimes close counts for something when you are rebuilding a team from a disappointing season...and it's progress.

I don't think it is a horrible comparison. Lick was national coach of the year lest we forget. He flamed out at Iowa, but some could say ferentz will too.

Just curious....how much of his $3.9M are you contributing? I'm gonna guess zero since the money guys genuinely love Kirk.

Correct..Zero. Last year was the first in many years that I didn't attend one game. This year is the second. Call it my protest. I am in Iowa City twice month and always go by the Stadium... leaves me sad for what the program was... and is.

I am thrilled with the win today.. my heart is happy but my head understands.

Hold the phone "Familiarity" does not breed contempt, but incompetence and losing do. Granted, there has been improvement this year, but to blame familiarity as the culprit is just flat out wrong. 4-8 is what bred contempt. Clock mismanagement, attrition, bloated salaries, and losing is why there is contempt here. If we were 8-4 last year and ferentz was even .500 in the big ten over the past few years, then maybe your opinion holds an ounce of merit. But given our recent history, you just sound like a ferentz apologist.

It's not just this year. I've presided over 110+ post game call in shows in the KF era, and message boards since his hiring, and over 1,000 days of sports talk radio. I can say without flinching that the relationship changed forever in 2007...but that everyone got back together later that year and the next year and a half for a football version of a booty call and then 2010 happened....exactly when his contract extension happened.

I'm not saying that last year is acceptable, because its not. I am not saying I don't get frustrated with the offense, because I do. I've written that the program smells like Aqua Velva at times, or that the offense reminds me of MASH; it was fun to watch for a while but now it just feels old and tired.

However, there is a breed of fan right now who is just embarrassing and borderline psychotic with their critiques...and the familiarity with KF is a big part of it.

That said, there isa breed of moron fan right now that is downright scary, and they are going after nebraska WR Kenny Bell on twitter...just horrible.

Hmmm...Todd Lickliter, really? I seem to recall a few championships from KF. In addition, he gets to the post season pretty often...and you know what he does when he get there...he wins. Oh, and he beats the SEC pretty regularly. What's not to like? We are rebuilding...but the team is progressing and getting better. I like the product so far this year...and see major upside in the next few years.

Tell me one team that we have played that would say Iowa was an easy out? OSU, no. MSU, no. NIU, no. Sometimes close counts for something when you are rebuilding a team from a disappointing season...and it's progress.

I must not have said that well. KF is not bad like TL. Both have/had a style that is not popular with most fan bases.

Latest posts