Tim Lester--Coordinator of the Week

Saw and Oregon fan on twitter trolling UW fans about how they let Iowa hang 40 on them. Re-building Iowa's reputation will take some time. People are begining to realize this isn't the same old Iowa... but it will take time.

Step 1 Run The Damned Ball
Step 2 Passing competence
Step 3 Recruit your guys

Saw and Oregon fan on twitter trolling UW fans about how they let Iowa hang 40 on them. Re-building Iowa's reputation will take some time. People are begining to realize this isn't the same old Iowa... but it will take time.

Step 1 Run The Damned Ball
Step 2 Passing competence
Step 3 Recruit your guys
I'm honestly fine if it takes time. Unfortunately it'll be noticed by coaches before everyone else, but would love for them to feel that were the same offense from the last 3 years.

I'm just concerned he's gone after this year.

You mean Keleb or Lester?

Kaleb will definately go pro... IMO... but admitadly i don't know the economics or the real X O Evaluation.

Lester is here for a while. He wants to set still for his family for a time. He's young enough to build a resume here and go Big after that.

You mean Keleb or Lester?

Kaleb will definately go pro... IMO... but admitadly i don't know the economics or the real X O Evaluation.

Lester is here for a while. He wants to set still for his family for a time. He's young enough to build a resume here and go Big after that.
Agreed. Johnson jumps this year if he is healthy. In fact, hot take, I would be surprised if he plays in whatever bowl game we play in.

If Lester is smart, he sticks with Iowa for a few years. If he keeps up the trend and turns the offense into something resembling average, that will be viewed as quite an accomplishment after how he found the offense. Couple that with his experience as a previous HC, QB coach, NFL cup of coffee, and just generally seemingly like a good teacher, and someone will offer him another HCing position. Maybe even Iowa. But, it will take a couple years of rehab for the opportunity to come.

Agreed. Johnson jumps this year if he is healthy. In fact, hot take, I would be surprised if he plays in whatever bowl game we play in.

If Lester is smart, he sticks with Iowa for a few years. If he keeps up the trend and turns the offense into something resembling average, that will be viewed as quite an accomplishment after how he found the offense. Couple that with his experience as a previous HC, QB coach, NFL cup of coffee, and just generally seemingly like a good teacher, and someone will offer him another HCing position. Maybe even Iowa. But, it will take a couple years of rehab for the opportunity to come.
Yeah I sure hope Johnson goes. The life span of an NFL RB is about 2-3 years if you're lucky and 3-4 is amazing luck. If he hits 2,000 yards or thereabouts and can show he can catch the ball he could get guaranteed money and never have to be a working stiff. He's already paid his dues to Iowa and then some.

I'd hate to see him come back and have a lesser season which is likely as defenses key in on him.

Lester's the 13th highest paid OC in college football, his salary would put him tied for 10th in the NFL where there's zero job security. If he can get things turned around here I don't see any reason to leave. He has to be aware that NFL coaching jobs are fickle at the best of times.

Lester's the 13th highest paid OC in college football, his salary would put him tied for 10th in the NFL where there's zero job security. If he can get things turned around here I don't see any reason to leave. He has to be aware that NFL coaching jobs are fickle at the best of times.
Except the age of his current boss makes things a bit unstable at Iowa. If KF retires or is retired and they don't hire from within, he might not be retained.

I agree he should stay at Iowa the next couple years, I guess my point is that if he has a couple years at Iowa where the offense and QB play are competent, he will probably get some calls on being a college HC. I assume he wants another shot at running his own program. He is young. I suspect he gets another shot.

Except the age of his current boss makes things a bit unstable at Iowa. If KF retires or is retired and they don't hire from within, he might not be retained.

I agree he should stay at Iowa the next couple years, I guess my point is that if he has a couple years at Iowa where the offense and QB play are competent, he will probably get some calls on being a college HC. I assume he wants another shot at running his own program. He is young. I suspect he gets another shot.
I was strictly talking about during KF's remaining tenure. Once he leaves, this whole staff is going to get nuked regardless unless they hire Woods which I think has a 1 in a billion chance of happening.

Iowa had a lot of NFL offensive talent through the first 4 years of BF's tenure.

Wirfs
Linderbaum
A. Jackson
Kallenberger (I will go to my grave believing he would have been a multi year NFL starter had he kept playing)
Hock
Fant
ISM
B. Smith
T. Goodson
Tracy
Stanley

Iowa mostly managed to finish around the middle of the pack in offensive efficiency, and in retrospect it looks like talent masked BF's lack of ability as an OC. The astute among us (which wasn't me) probably noted tell tale signs: inability to make in-game adjustments, wild week to week inconsistency, completely anemic production against good D's with 1 obvious exception, etc.

I doubt Lester is any sort of genius...he is simply a competent coordinator of modern college FB offenses. It makes you wonder what could have been from 2017 onward had we sought out someone like him 8 years ago.

Latest posts