I really wish Jon would answer these questions.....

No, where did I say that? As I said Dantonio has had a good 5 year run, and yeah I'd trade their last 5 years for our last 5 years. Is MSU a better program because of that 5 year run? I don't think so, plus as I pointed out Iowa has more top 10 finishes than MSU over the last 15 years.

They are a better program. 15 years ago means jack for what is going on right now.

Fewer scandals

This one can't be serious? Dude has had more player in and out of jail and playing them the next week. He is a scum sucker this was for sure.
Seriously, if MSU is ever dumb enough to can Dantonio, we need to grab him.

Dantonio > KF as a head coach
Iowa is = MSU as a football program

I HATE Dantonio, but I think he is one heck of a coach, top 10 in the country if you ask me. He has done more with less at MSU than anyone else could have......including Nick Saban.

Iowa should be able to accomplish what Wisconsin has but the recruiting and offense of iowa has held them back.

I don't think it is recruiting that has held Iowa back. I think an unimaginative offense has killed Iowa over the years. The D has always been good enough to win (or at least in 8 out of 10 years). It is the offense that just refuses to do much different than they did 17 years ago. I'm not saying going spread, but there are a lot of imaginative pro style offenses out there, and Wisconsin is one.

No, where did I say that? As I said Dantonio has had a good 5 year run, and yeah I'd trade their last 5 years for our last 5 years. Is MSU a better program because of that 5 year run? I don't think so, plus as I pointed out Iowa has more top 10 finishes than MSU over the last 15 years.
Dantonio has had an awesome 9 year run.

Also a Rams fan...

Easier to have "winning records" in a program like Iowa...lots of cupcakes to pad things.

The NFL is filled with teams, each of which, has elite talent...tougher to win.

I don't think it is recruiting that has held Iowa back. I think an unimaginative offense has killed Iowa over the years. The D has always been good enough to win (or at least in 8 out of 10 years). It is the offense that just refuses to do much different than they did 17 years ago. I'm not saying going spread, but there are a lot of imaginative pro style offenses out there, and Wisconsin is one.

Recruiting is definitely a problem. The number of guys getting drafted from Iowa has been going down even among positions Iowa does well at like OL, DL and DB. They have recruited in the bottom of the conference for the last 5 years. The offense does need changed. The offense would definitely help but I don't think they would have sustained success without better recruiting.
They have tried to go into Texas and Georgia to recruit the last few years and that hasn't been successful. They haven't recruited Illinois as well as they did in the past.

If you look at rivals the average recruiting ranking for iowa in the past 5 years is in the 50s. That is bad recruiting when you have had the kind of success Kirk has at Iowa. They have trouble recruiting offensive lineman which should never be an issue. Just look at this year. They are struggling to get Oliver martin and Van Ginkel who are Iowa kids and Iowa fans.

You can't just look at head to head. I think those B1G championships and the overall record speaks volumes.

And why do you assholes always have to call people stupid or jock sniffers? Because we don't share your opinion you try to demean someone by calling them names? Who needs to get a get a grip? Deano and Cecil.........................
Well, It's a term I learned from listening to J Hayden Fry in meeting rooms season after season. He did it to describe critics that have no clue what's going on, how it works, who likely never player and who not to give them any credence. it's an apt description for many of the posters here. You one of them or not

Recruiting is definitely a problem. The number of guys getting drafted from Iowa has been going down even among positions Iowa does well at like OL, DL and DB. They have recruited in the bottom of the conference for the last 5 years. The offense does need changed. The offense would definitely help but I don't think they would have sustained success without better recruiting.
They have tried to go into Texas and Georgia to recruit the last few years and that hasn't been successful. They haven't recruited Illinois as well as they did in the past.

If you look at rivals the average recruiting ranking for iowa in the past 5 years is in the 50s. That is bad recruiting when you have had the kind of success Kirk has at Iowa. They have trouble recruiting offensive lineman which should never be an issue. Just look at this year. They are struggling to get Oliver martin and Van Ginkel who are Iowa kids and Iowa fans.

I agree with this, recruiting is still a problem. Then throw in the fact we are as vanilla as it can be, there is a reason we can't recruit the skill positions (WR). Our offense would not be appealing to a WR unless they wanted to excel at running 5 yard hitch routes or downfield blocking. As of right now, the predicatablity is off the charts, everyone knows what is going to happen.

It would be as simple as flanking Daniels and Wadley on each side of CJ when he's in shotgun so you have options or appear like there's options. Instead, we have him back there by himself.

"12-0 should be considered a treat"

Just read that again will you.

In the last 5 years there has been 7 teams TOTAL that went 12-0 to start the year, SEVEN.

And Iowa was one of them.

Not MSU, not Nebraska, not Wisconsin, not Michigan, not any other Big 10 team other than Ohio State once.

Sure talk about the schedule, etc but to say that 12-0 should be considered a treat is laughable when you are talking about the only time in the history of the program of that happening. Or the fact that about 100 other football programs would take that in a heart beat. I also agree that 8-4 or 9-3 should be a regular occurrence but the loss to a top 10 ranked Wisconsin team and the coaches pulling the offer of a 17 year old HS kid doesn't mean the world is ending.

Should we have lost to NDSU or NW? No, but shit happens.

KF has his faults no doubt I just love that people just brush aside what was accomplished last year and can't realize that just because on paper you think a team should be better than they are doesn't mean it will happen. Hell talk to MSU fans, Oregon fans, etc. about how their season is going this year.

1. I have said repeatedly I was and am fine with the things I was critical about. If i could have a do over, I would have been less petulant with some of the things I said and did...like not tweeting something like this, and not playing The Doors 'The End' song as an intro and outro bed on my post-Nebraska podcast, and not calling Kirk 'gutless' for not having CJB and Rudock speak after the Tax Slayer Bowls. Unprofessional things of that nature. That is what I have tried to explain...not that I would change the core critiques, just the presentation could have been more respectful and professional.

2. I am of the opinion it is hard to win at Iowa. I am of the opinion that Kirk is worth what he earns. I am of the opinion that adding additional buyout language to the extension wasn't the best thing to do, but it is what it is, and nothing can change it, and I am not going to whine and moan about it the next 10 years. I'd like to see Iowa get to the point where it can sustain higher levels of success for longer periods of time, three years out of five...any more than is unrealistic in my opinion. I think folks tend to think that Iowa should be immune or above such lulls...which I reject, as Michigan, Tennessee, Florida, UCLA, Penn State, etc, ie traditional blue blood powers, have not been beyond such lulls the past decade.

5-3 is a disappointing mark at this point in time for this season, no doubt. But the whole what Kirk earns stuff is just a tiring topic to me. As is how quickly people forget they just experienced a 12-0 regular season and Iowa's first trip to Pasadena in 25 years. I guess I'm not wired like that camp...doesn't make me better or worse, we just see things differently...and I don't feel moved to grab the pitchfork and torches.

What did each team you mentioned in your second paragraph do when they went through the "lulls" you talk about?
They replaced the coaches that were not getting the job done. I think a lot of the frustration and anger expressed on this site is because we know that we are stuck for the next 10 years, regardless. Stupid, stupid, stupid contract, regardless of the money. You are in the know. Was Ferentz getting flooded with offers after last year? If not, why the asinine extension and buyout provisions?

Well, It's a term I learned from listening to J Hayden Fry in meeting rooms season after season. He did it to describe critics that have no clue what's going on, how it works, who likely never player and who not to give them any credence. it's an apt description for many of the posters here. You one of them or not

Did you play or coach Cecil? I only played HS football but I'm a pretty astute IMO. There is always a lot more to what is going on when you aren't involved first hand and only the coaches, players a few others are, but results are results. You can't skew that much. However, you can choose whether you call people names or not :) I wish we were 6-2 at worst and not having these conversations. I like Kirk a lot as a person. Has provided some of the greatest moments for Hawkeye football for me. But I can cut through the man crush and see what needs improvement and just about everything does right now. Not something we expected coming into this season and for a tenured coach now is it? We should have known though, when expectations are high, we flounder for a multitude of reasons.

-----I am of the opinion that Kirk is worth what he earns.

Jon - OK, for one minute lets say that I agree that we cannot be expected to be Michigan or Ohio State. Lets then use a VERY fair way to evaluate Ferments....his record as a double digit favorite is indefensible, and that alone should have been grounds for his firing years ago. When he is earning that of coaches that openly talk of National Championships....when he conveniently never mentions it....how can you defend his salary? I'm tired of talking about his salary too....but how many coaches making 4 mil + get to slide by with 7-5 seasons? And don't even get me started on his recruiting practices....which suck ass!!!

Latest posts