I really miss Raveling’s recruiting

Raveling was a great recruiter, but he didn't seem to be a very good coach. He kind of reminds me of Fran except for the recruiting. What we probably need is a respected black coach that loves recruiting and can coach.

Agree............I also miss Bump Elliott's "recruiting" which included Raveling, Olson, Fry, Gable, and Davis not to mention Iowa programs won 34 BIG championships and 11 NCAA titles during his time as AD.

Did I mention a trip to the final 4 in BB? Boy, have things changed.

Our AD came from the University of Wyoming when he was hired. Just think about Wyoming athletics. Who was the effing idiot that made that decision?

Yep, my dad always used to talk about what Iowa could have been if we would have had Davis as our coach, and Raveling as an assistant to help with recruiting. Years like 86-87 could have been closer to the norm.

Nfm..........
You mean the promise of improper benefits and trying to be the highest bidder for recruits? I'm all in too! Playing by the rules (more than others) has gotten us 4 NCAA's and 2 wins (so far) in 6 years. I'd like to return to the good ol' days too.

Last edited:
You mean the promise of improper benefits and trying to be the highest bidder for recruits? I'm all in too! Playing by the rules (more than others) has gotten us 4 NCCA's and 2 wins (so far) in 7 years. I'd like to return to the good ol' days too.
7 years????

You mean the promise of improper benefits and trying to be the highest bidder for recruits? I'm all in too! Playing by the rules (more than others) has gotten us 4 NCCA's and 2 wins (so far) in 7 years. I'd like to return to the good ol' days too.
Yep. Great players. Haven’t had them since

Yep, my dad always used to talk about what Iowa could have been if we would have had Davis as our coach, and Raveling as an assistant to help with recruiting. Years like 86-87 could have been closer to the norm.
Senior Assitant and Lead Recruiter Great on Rebounding skills. And cool guy.

Senior Assitant and Lead Recruiter Great on Rebounding skills. And cool guy.
True that. I still remember watching the Hawks' first game under Raveling and thinking the team had no plan. But at least Raveling recruited great players for Davis to coach. Just as Raveling followed Olson, Schultz followed Ralph Miller. I don't recall whether Schultz could recruit; but he couldn't coach.

True that. I still remember watching the Hawks' first game under Raveling and thinking the team had no plan. But at least Raveling recruited great players for Davis to coach. Just as Raveling followed Olson, Schultz followed Ralph Miller. I don't recall whether Schultz could recruit; but he couldn't coach.
George a True teacher at getting rebounds.Still had EdHorton ect. Like Reggie huh. Heard Ed on Pat Harty podcast. Doing very well. Lots of daughters. Am sure Lisa B knows about the kids. George Cool.

Yeah, it was amazing what Davis did with that last group of Raveling recruits. Such a disappointing loss to UNLV. But we had the talent to hang with the big dogs.

And the football and wrestling? What has changed? Oh yeah, we have the nations best fund raiser as our AD. Too bad thats all he can do.

Yeah, it was amazing what Davis did with that last group of Raveling recruits. Such a disappointing loss to UNLV. But we had the talent to hang with the big dogs.

And the football and wrestling? What has changed? Oh yeah, we have the nations best fund raiser as our AD. Too bad thats all he can do.
Never forget that loss. Should not have happened. Hawks so good. Kevin Gamble last shot vs Billy Tubb's team. And him going ballistic. Oak St? No matter. Unlv so sad..

Talent levels across the board are night and day. We’ll never, ever have the levels of talent across all sports as we had back then. Ever. No one cares in Iowa City any more. There are no expectations or accountability for high level results