I really miss Mr. Davis

Yup. He was no Raveling, but Davis recruited better than most seem to give him credit for. I forgot about Kenyon Murray. Davis pulled him out of Michigan when Steve Fisher was up there reeling in the Fab 5, and Jud Heathcote was still coaching MSU. That recruiting battle was no small victory.

Fans never got past that he didn’t get Raef Lafrentz and his lame duck status killed any opportunity for Collision. Those 2 put on a Iowa uniform and we are looking at this completely different.

It's amazing how bad everyone can look when a team is in a slump. Then how good everyone can look when they are playing good. Right now the difference between us and other bubble teams is we give up at least 5 wide open layups per game. That's 10 points we give them while having to earn them at the other end. Take those defensive breakdowns for layups away, and we look like a bubble team.

Last game Pemsl came up do hedge the defender and wasn't even close to getting back to his guy to guard, and that guy got an easy layup. why don't they hedge with the other wing on each side instead of bringing up the low post guy? Either that or stop it altogether.

Mr. Davis's curse was that he followed Lute Olsen, and Olsen went to Zona and won ships.

YOu are missing the point that Mr. Davis followed George Raveling who took the program down a notch. Maybe someone pointed this out to you but Raveling recruited those great players that Mr. Davis knew how to do a great coaching job with.

Tom Davis seemed to always being talking down to people, and he didn't seem to put a lot of effort into recruiting, for whatever reason, but he could coach. He probably appeared to be always talking down to people, because, he knew what he was talking about and most people, including myself, don't.

Frans recruiting has gotten better each year. He has some coming in and working on others. He does need a point guard which he is working on.

Last game Pemsl came up do hedge the defender and wasn't even close to getting back to his guy to guard, and that guy got an easy layup. why don't they hedge with the other wing on each side instead of bringing up the low post guy? Either that or stop it altogether.

Or they could just get back quicker. Woody was slow as hell and he had plenty of time to get back. No reason for Pemsl to be caught that far out other than mental lapses.

Tom peaked out...

Mr. Davis didnt peek out but he got somewhat complacent as some insiders told me. I had a bunch of friends who were around the program and Mr. Davis just quit or hardly ever went to the Iowa Boys Tournament, he was a very good golfer and played a bunch in the summers, people complained about how soft the non-conf portion of the season got but he didnt do the scheduling. His first 5-6 years they were playing NC, Zona, Duke in the non-con.

His lack of recruiting some big players hurt but some of you are too young to remember Iowa and jNW and some Big 10 schools having higher academic standards than general NCAA rules. Any of you remember phenom Ray or Roy Thompson who was a great player as a freshman for Mr. Davis around 1989 but he got the boot because of grades. Thompson would have rolled right in and played with Chris Street, whose loss was never quite recovered.

Umm... NO. It was George Raveling that followed Lute. Raveling could recruit at a high level but my grandma was a better game coach. After getting all that talent, George was let go and they brought in Mr. Davis. He won immediately with George's recruits. But after they were gone, he never really attained that level again. Yeah, Mr. Davis never lost a first round NCAA game, but after the first year when he won 30, he never won more than 24 games (and that was his second year). And Mr. Davis did this with pretty much the same number of games during the season and playing the same low-level teams as pre-season.

and Dr. Toms first few seasons were with George's recruits.

YOu are missing the point that Mr. Davis followed George Raveling who took the program down a notch. Maybe someone pointed this out to you but Raveling recruited those great players that Mr. Davis knew how to do a great coaching job with.
I'm not missing it. I just forgot Raveling. Recruiter or not, he was here three years and I forgot him.

This talk of Fran stagnating is downright silly. I could not be more excited for the future of this program. There are no guarantees, but even this season history tells us Fran is capable of better than .500 and an NIT berth. Specifically, I'm thinking back to 2011-2012, where Gatens put the team on his back and carried them into the post season after a sluggish 5-5 start losing to Creighton, UNI, and ISU. By years end they even had wins at Wisconsin and finished 4-3 against the top 25. I wouldn't even be surprised if this years team is the one to finally make a run in the big ten tournament. And when all is said and done to push us into the NCAA's.

That doesn't even mention Wieskamp and the McCaffery boys already in the fold for the future. Fran can recruit and has been increasing the talent level of the program over his tenure. The high level guards are coming starting next year to go along with already high level (albeit young) post talent and dangerous 3 point shooters.

Fran is the man who will take us to the top.
Yep I’m totally amped, I feel another lil lick in the pipeline.

N8theGr8 said:
This talk of Fran stagnating is downright silly. I could not be more excited for the future of this program. There are no guarantees, but even this season history tells us Fran is capable of better than .500 and an NIT berth. Specifically, I'm thinking back to 2011-2012, where Gatens put the team on his back and carried them into the post season after a sluggish 5-5 start losing to Creighton, UNI, and ISU. By years end they even had wins at Wisconsin and finished 4-3 against the top 25. I wouldn't even be surprised if this years team is the one to finally make a run in the big ten tournament. And when all is said and done to push us into the NCAA's.

That doesn't even mention Wieskamp and the McCaffery boys already in the fold for the future. Fran can recruit and has been increasing the talent level of the program over his tenure. The high level guards are coming starting next year to go along with already high level (albeit young) post talent and dangerous 3 point shooters.

Fran is the man who will take us to the top.

I think he has next year and the year after to prove it. Right now, getting to 10 wins is going to be a grind. They looked more with it tonight....looked like they practiced....but still looked hapless with the turnovers and free-throw bricks.

Give Fran credit, he lifted the program out of the ground, but he is currently digging a new hole. He has to shore up his recruiting or will be looking for a new coach if/when Carver turns into a graveyard again. I don't want to see that happen, just hope that correctable is corrected.

Should the bar be raised? We have made the tournament and lost early. I would think we should look at what the program is and what is the expectation. I would think tournament every year, and to win at least a game every year, maybe 2. Isn't that where Iowa should be?

Since Mr. Davis never lost in the first round and made the tourney most years, that should be the floor. And yet I've read thousands of posts since he was let go that what he achieved is NOW unrealistic at Iowa. That is simply a false assertion and whenever I see it I know the athletic department is rich enough to hire trolls to post on message boards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Davis_(basketball_coach)

Since Mr. Davis never lost in the first round and made the tourney most years, that should be the floor. And yet I've read thousands of posts since he was let go that what he achieved is NOW unrealistic at Iowa. That is simply a false assertion and whenever I see it I know the athletic department is rich enough to hire trolls to post on message boards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Davis_(basketball_coach)
Made NCAA tourney 9 out of 13 seasons with a couple of NITs. Like you said, never lost in 1st round and had 2 sweet 16s and one elite 8. How anyone can believe that is unrealistic now is absurd.

I'm curious if the posters on Hawkeye Nation are representative of all Hawk fans. I agree with the Fran sucks and needs to go crowd. No Hawkeye fan that I know of is sticking up for him on this forum, or elsewhere. So my question is, other than Barta, who wants him to stay?

I for one would like to see how Fran would do with three new assistant coaches. No one, it seems, know a damn thing about defense. I honestly have no idea what any of them bring to the table.

I'm curious if the posters on Hawkeye Nation are representative of all Hawk fans. I agree with the Fran sucks and needs to go crowd. No Hawkeye fan that I know of is sticking up for him on this forum, or elsewhere. So my question is, other than Barta, who wants him to stay?
12 guys wearing Iowa on the jerseys. Some redshirts. Couple of recruits.

He’s not going anywhere for 5 years so there’s not much point of this.