I normally don't complain about officiating

glidinghawk

But how does Olaf commit about 8 fouls and be called for 4?

And the phantom call on Oglesby in regulation was a H-S call.

Sorry, but that's how I saw it.

Officiating had nothing to do with the outcome.
4 possessions in a row, Olesani was in the lane for over 6 seconds, each time, and no call.

If we don't take a **** on every open jumper we win by 15. We initiate contact through forced shots by the basket. You don't get those calls in this conference.

Officiating had nothing to do with the outcome.
4 possessions in a row, Olesani was in the lane for over 6 seconds, each time, and no call.

Lol. I saw that too. He literally pitched a tent.

Complaining about the refs? Really? We just loss to a team that had lost 10 in a row.

If any game was right to complain this was it. Mildcat #22 was getting away with muggings all game long, then they call Iowa for ticky tacky fouls. The inconsistency was absolutely awful. On an overtime game it makes that all the worse that they did what they did, or else Iowa could would won in regulation if everything else plays out the same.

I also make a conscious effort not to blame the refs, but i felt NW got away with pretty rough play all game.

That said, Iowa's execution was too sloppy to justify a W, so they got what they deserved.

If we don't take a **** on every open jumper we win by 15. We initiate contact through forced shots by the basket. You don't get those calls in this conference.

Not always the case, Aaron White lived at the line playing against Ohio St because that ref crew called them, very inconsistent

I make it a point to complain about officiating all the time. NCAA refs suck and should go away forever. We lost because we still are an inconsistent shooting team and we let their untalented players get open looks on three too often.

Refs were HorseS*** for sure... they had an effect

But in the end we should be so far ahead of that team that officials have little say in the outcome.

If the refs let one team get away with playing rough, they should not call the other team for ticky tacky fouls. JO didn't even touch that guy on the bailout call.

I also make a conscious effort not to blame the refs, but i felt NW got away with pretty rough play all game.

That said, Iowa's execution was too sloppy to justify a W, so they got what they deserved.

This was exactly how I felt.

The officiating definitely favored Northwestern. There's no question about that. NW was going over the back constantly and we were getting mugged down low and very few fouls called. I'm not saying we lost because of the refs, but they sure didn't help.

Iowa did not play well and Northwestern hit a lot of shots they normally don't make. Northwestern has lost a lot of close games, but this is the first time they've gotten the benefit of a lot of close and bad calls. The officiating clearly influenced the outcome of the game. The calls that were made over the first 5 minutes of the second half were not made over the last 15 minutes. The fouls on the Woodbury block and on Oglesby were wrong as were the failure to call fouls inside on shots by White and Woodbury and others. Iowa should have played well enough to overcome these yes, but Michigan State Maryland and others have had close calls with Northwestern, the difference there was definitely the officiating. So if people want to come on here and complain there is a lot of justification for that. Just saying that we should play better is true, but it ignores the facts of the game - the officiating was bad and it helped Northwestern.

We got the ball to start the 2nd half. After that we got a jump ball that went to Northwestern. At the end of regulation we got another jump ball that also went to Northwestern. Some no name player proceeds to bury a 3. I assume i must be wrong but i don't remember another jump ball in between those 2. Anyone?

No, I would say the officials did not cost Iowa the game today. That being said: I have watched the officials pretty closely in person against Maryland and Minnesota and on TV against NW. Not going to mince any words, if these guys that work BT games don't have the guts to make the kids play basketball rather than ice hockey on a dry floor, they should resign and never work another game. Maryland mugged Iowa the entire game, but Iowa was so hot in the shooting department that it did not matter...still, the only reason MD got with 13 in the second half was that they absolutely physically attacked Iowa in the second half. Minnesota? The officials let the goofers slap, hack, push Iowa and we could never get a decent position on the offensive end. Why, all of a sudden, do you think we could not post up successfully? Why, all of a sudden, do we have 16 turnovers? NW certainly learned from MD and MN. They came out very physical...blocked 9 shots in the first half and no fouls were called? Give me a break. We have not had 9 shots blocked in the last 5 games.

The reason I still conclude that the refs did not cost Iowa this game is simply that this has become BT basketball and Iowa's athletes are ill equipped to compete in a game that is physical. We are going to have to learn to do it or be satisfied with mediocrity. I am not writing anything new in this regard. It has been this way for quite a while.

Latest posts