I have spoken to several former Iowa Football players today

@Jon... I realize the UofI football team basically pays your bills, so it may be hard for you to be objective... but is it possible for the athletic dept. or a person employed by the athletic dept. to actually do something wrong? You always defend first, even without all the details.

I called former players that I know to see what their take was..and matched up with what my initial gut reaction was.

And if given the choice to be a rip first or a defend first guy, I'll choose the later and make no apologies.

Ultimately, it's up to you as to what value you place on my opinions and work

it sounds to me like Jon went out and got facts from people who are part of the program.
Obviously he went to some former players he has a relationship with and when what they said agreed with what he thought he ran with it. See below:

I called former players that I know to see what their take was..and matched up with what my initial gut reaction was.

And if given the choice to be a rip first or a defend first guy, I'll choose the later and make no apologies.

I overall enjoy your work. On the radio especially I like your style, you are engaging and thoughtful, but when it comes to controversy you just aren't objective... That's all I'm saying.

Just one more question, (Columbo voice) did any former player seem surprised that this workout led to 12 hospitalizations?

Sorry, I had one more thought... instead or ripping/defend first couldn't you wait and gather information first?

lol people....you do realize business wise....Jon doesn't care if you disagree with him or not.....as long as you click on the page for ad revenue lol. :)

Maybe this was all just a publicity stunt to announce the arrival of a mystery recruit:

prod

Jon I'm with you on this.

IMO, Kirk and his staff most definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt. They have certainly earned it throughout the years.

I can't believe they would ever use a workout session to punish players. It just seems to be an unfortunate (and unlikely) situation that came to fruition.

Anyone can get this illness, it is rarely drug related. If any of you has a stronger will than body, you can get it. Most don't care to push their exercise that hard. I think I first heard of this illness on ProFootballTalk.com when Mike Florio was commenting on an athlete who got it. He said he went out for a run one day and went too far with too little food in his stomach, and he was hospitalized with this same illness. That was just from running on an empty stomach for 1 or 2 miles too many, not from lifting weights or doing 100 squats or anything like that. And Florio is a skinny lawyer type, I doubt he's on crack or steroids.

through gritted teeth?

Jon Miller, the Chip Diller of Hawkeye Nation...

Reminds me of ppl flying off the handle last month (not me) only to learn there wasn't a rampant drug problem. I guess I am comfortable with the way I handle things. But I never expect 100% agreement. It would b pretty boring were that the case.

If you have been paying attention over the years, there are plenty of examples of ex-Iowa NFL guys saying that things were harder in college than in the pros. Now, I am sure some of that is due to coursework, but some guys have also talked about workouts.

Sometimes I wonder if this has anything to do with the teams' slow seasonal starts. Sometimes in early games they just don't seem to have the same energy level as the other team. As the season goes on, the get stronger. When they get to the bowl game thy are actually spry. Could they actually start the season a bit burned out by the off-season Doylizing?

Obviously he went to some former players he has a relationship with and when what they said agreed with what he thought he ran with it. See below:

I overall enjoy your work. On the radio especially I like your style, you are engaging and thoughtful, but when it comes to controversy you just aren't objective... That's all I'm saying.

Just one more question, (Columbo voice) did any former player seem surprised that this workout led to 12 hospitalizations?
What is Jon suppose to rip or be criticle of? With the info that we know how is he suppose to citicize the program? It sounds like you are the one with an agenda or not being objective.

What is Jon suppose to rip or be criticle of? With the info that we know how is he suppose to citicize the program? It sounds like you are the one with an agenda or not being objective.

I, for one, would welcome a more questioning tone than brushing this off as the result of a strenuous but routine workout or by collecting comments from former players. How does that explain 12 Iowa football student athletes being admitted to the hospital, with some supposedly staying a second night? That's no small thing.

I would like to know what the department and/or the university is doing to look into this to ensure the health of Iowa student-athletes is not jeopardized.

I'm also aware that certain posts here and the university's "official" statements are likely being made with an awareness that signing day is coming up soon.

Last edited:
Rather, communicated...I have spoken with some, traded texts with some others, and emails with one more.

I simply asked them for a reaction to hearing 12 players are in the hospital due to what sounds like a killer, post Christmas break workout.

The overwhelming majority of them showed no hesitation, no pause, and said the 'squat' workout that is being reported as a part of the culprit, is something that has been done regularly in the past.

In fact, there were a few instances in the Ferentz era where it was a once per week occurrence over a three week period...and the players dreaded going into workout on those days, because it was grueling, and more than a few players lost their cookies on that day.

BUT...the overwhelming reaction from the players I spoke with was pretty simple; This is Iowa football. This is how we do what we do. There is a sign in the Iowa weight room that reads Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard.

They live that.

A few of the guys, knowing that the players have been reported as improving and doing well, chuckled a bit.

No, they are not wishing injury or illness on anyone...it was born out of being a part of that fraternity, for having been through what the current players are going through, remembering back to their time in it.

One former player told me that the NFL workouts and practice regiment was easier than it was at Iowa. But he instantly said that getting to the NFL without the Iowa strength and conditioning system would have been unlikely for him

So when I posted earlier that this ain't intramurals, I was only regurgitating the sentiment from most of the former players I spoke with today.

Now, with 12 players getting ill at the same time, that is certain a question that looms in all of this...I get that.

But based on things some have reported, most of the people I have spoken with feel this was brought on by a common workout practice that hundreds of Iowa players have been through before, and it's employed to 'shock' the nervous system back into place after a period of inactivity, to get ready for the foundation building that takes place each and every Iowa winter off season.

Most of us on here never played football at this level...the majority never played football beyond high school, and some people never lifted a weight more than casually in their life...so it's tough for some to relate to this.

Again, the 12 number is a question mark, and Kirk will be asked about this next Wednesday at his signing day presser, no question about that.

Jon, I laughed out loud when I read the sentence above that I bolded.

Im sure once Kirk has his press conference he will be very open and forthcoming and the press will ask tough questions like they always do and this can all be put to rest.

Latest posts