I gained a whole new respect for RDM last night

So is your guys conclusion that this team really gets along with Marble and he never is all about himself?

I'll absolutely agree he makes some selfish plays but we have guys like White and Ogelsby, Uthoff who pass up shots. Other guys like McCabe, Basabe, Woody who aren't scorers.

I gues I'm just not sure who you want taking the shots. White is one of the most efficient players in the country from the field and the FT line but that's because he's so selective.

Exactly. I feel bad for Marble. He was great this season, and deserves better than this. If he doesn't shoot, who will? White won't shoot anything outside of a lay up, Uthoff and Oglesby both are extremely hesitant to shoot unless they are wide open. Olesani has terrible hands, MG shoots 38% (!) from the floor, not a whole lot of options for someone else to pick up the scoring slack.
Agreed, calling it what it is.

I'll absolutely agree he makes some selfish plays but we have guys like White and Ogelsby, Uthoff who pass up shots. Other guys like McCabe, Basabe, Woody who aren't scorers.

I gues I'm just not sure who you want taking the shots. White is one of the most efficient players in the country from the field and the FT line but that's because he's so selective.

White benefited from a lot of fouls being called early in the season. Now that refs are swallowing their whistles, and the fact that he has no jump shot, he is now ineffective on both ends of the floor. If the guy would learn to take a few dribble and pull up for a 15 footer instead of just charging to the basket, throwing up some garbage shot and hoping for a foul he'd be a much more effective player. It's so painful watching him drive to the basket knowing beforehand the outcome. I guess that's what's so damn frustrating about this team; watching the same error over and over and over again. Losing in the same fashion over and over and over again. I would've rather gotten blown out by Sparty than to watch another <8 pt loss with a blown late lead.

Agreed, calling it what it is.

Marbles a good player, but I agree that there are other guys on the team that if they took as many shots as Marble they would be doing pretty good. If someone is going to go against Marble, I think the Marble should be Marble senior, not Marble junior. He has been everywhere this year. I saw him on television talking about his son for twenty minutes. The Iowa team became his sons team about half way through the season. White and a lot of the other players have pretty much disappeared in favor of Marble junior this year. I think Marble senior has been a huge distraction for the team this year. It will be nice next year when all the traces of Lickliter will be gone from the team.

But when has he come through in the clutch to win us a game?

Valid argument, but in his defense, how many games has he kept us in because he was on fire in the first half. Given he's struggled to close games, but who on this team hasn't. I think the fact is without some of the games he's taken over, whether he failed down the stretch or not, we were in alot of the games because he took over when others didn't.

Marbles a good player, but I agree that there are other guys on the team that if they took as many shots as Marble they would be doing pretty good. If someone is going to go against Marble, I think the Marble should be Marble senior, not Marble junior. He has been everywhere this year. I saw him on television talking about his son for twenty minutes. The Iowa team became his sons team about half way through the season. White and a lot of the other players have pretty much disappeared in favor of Marble junior this year. I think Marble senior has been a huge distraction for the team this year. It will be nice next year when all the traces of Lickliter will be gone from the team.

I agree with this to an extent, because I like many feel that the excessive pics of dad in the stands gets absolutely rediculous, but I don't think its responsible for players not name Devyn to disappear for large periods of the game. Unless of course they're in the stands chatting up dad while the game is going on, but I think it that were the case we'd see them because they can't seem to keep dad off tv.

If the team is in fact tired of Devyn, I still don't see the reason to quite playing. If anything they're playing for better recruits and exposure in the future. Why take your ball and go home as a junior or underclassmen when your essentially throwing in the towel and giving up on 1 of your 4 seasons to play. To me just seems stupid, like the guy or hate him.

I still think the best bball Marble has played at Iowa was the end of his sophomore year.

Valid argument, but in his defense, how many games has he kept us in because he was on fire in the first half. Given he's struggled to close games, but who on this team hasn't. I think the fact is without some of the games he's taken over, whether he failed down the stretch or not, we were in alot of the games because he took over when others didn't.

I agree to an extent, I understand he keeps us in the game and that looks good. But why keep us in the game at all then? Iowa loses close games. Simple as that. A loss is a loss regardless if he kept us in the game. He pisses his pants when it matters.

I agree to an extent, I understand he keeps us in the game and that looks good. But why keep us in the game at all then? Iowa loses close games. Simple as that. A loss is a loss regardless if he kept us in the game. He pisses his pants when it matters.

I think that's the million dollar question with this team. What/who will it take to finish a tight game. I agree that when the game is on the line Devyn hasn't been spectacular, but I don't think anyone has. I think the problem is eventually either Devyn wears down, defenses key in on him and force other players to beat them, or Devyn simply tries to do to much at times and forces things. That said, someone has got to step into the spotlight when Devyn's struggling and i haven't seen it yet.

I simply feel that regardless of what his teammates think or the type of teammate he may or may not be, somebody has got to step up and fill that void for this team to be successful. We've seen glimpses of it from different players at different times, but nobody consistently does it. That's my primary concern as well once he leaves. If a clear cut number 1 scorer emergences then who will be that number two to lead the supporting cast.

I agree with this to an extent, because I like many feel that the excessive pics of dad in the stands gets absolutely rediculous, but I don't think its responsible for players not name Devyn to disappear for large periods of the game. Unless of course they're in the stands chatting up dad while the game is going on, but I think it that were the case we'd see them because they can't seem to keep dad off tv.

When they played in the conference tournament Marble senior was there. Do you think he paid for his own transportation? I imagine he went with the players on the plane. I think the players really like Marble senior and junior and are taking more of a subordinate role than they should. I suppose he has traveled with the team to a lot if not all the games this year.

I honestly think he's seen more airtime this season then Myers, Denning, and Stokes combined. It's kind of rediculous and pathetic in my opinion. IMHO I think they need a podcast or picture in picture of Roy Sr. in the stands broadcast simultaneously so we can see him throughout the duration of the game and not just every few minutes. I think its beyond rediculous.

Anyway, I'm not saying Marble senior is to blame, all I'm saying is if your going to blame a Marble, Marble senior should be the one to blame.

Marble is one of the greatest to ever wear the Iowa uniform. Look @ his stats - that's not hyperbole, that's FACT.

It's unfortunate, but a segment of the fan base is never going to appreciate Marble or give the kids his dues because they desperately need someone to hold accountable for "The Great Collapse of 2014" and Marble, as our best player, paradoxically makes an easy target.

He's our best player and he arguably played the best ball of his career during "The Collapse" - does that absolve him of shouldering *any* blame? Of course not. Does that mean he should shoulder *extra* blame? HELL NO.

When they played in the conference tournament Marble senior was there. Do you think he paid for his own transportation? I imagine he went with the players on the plane. I think the players really like Marble senior and junior and are taking more of a subordinate role than they should. I suppose he has traveled with the team to a lot if not all the games this year.

I'm fairly certain parents/relatives can't travel with the team. Not allowed by the NCAA. Each player get an allotment of tickets (perhaps 4?) that they can give to family/friends, but the parents don't travel with the team.

Ha that's interesting. I though we dominated the non conference because we played crap teams. Turns out it was because Marble shot less.

Anyway my post wasn't about whether we were better or worse off with Marble shooting the ball. It was in defense of him being called a selfish player. If he was a selfish player he would have used the sisters of the poor to rack up some stats.

take a look at the numbers in the B1G games before the collapse, it will also show the same thing.
First 12 games of the B1G 8-4

15 or more shots 1-2
less than 15 shots 7-2

Look I am NOT placing all the blame on Marble for shooting too much and causing the collapse. However the numbers clearly show when he shoots more than 15 times a game the team losses. Simple as that. Take it however you want,but it's a FACT.

take a look at the numbers in the B1G games before the collapse, it will also show the same thing.

15 or more shots 1-2
less than 15 shots 7-2

Look I am NOT placing all the blame on Marble for shooting too much and causing the collapse. However the numbers clearly show when he shoots more than 15 times a game the team losses. Simple as that. Take it however you want,but it's a FACT.

In my opinion I never felt like there were games in which other players were hitting and Marble decided to attempt to take the game over.

In fact I believe the opposite. Marble tried to give other guys opportuntites and they didn't step up and so he pressed. Marble has been fairly consistent all year.

So the teams results really aren't that reflective of Marble's at but rather the games that we had other guys step up were the games we won.

15 or more shots 1-2
less than 15 shots 7-2

That stat is so worthless though. Maybe we lost because we played a good team that was capable of shutting down all of our other average offensive players so he was the only one who could get a shot off. Maybe everyone else on the team was struggling so he had to shoot more. If that's the case, of course we are going to lose when every player but one is sucking.

It's funny how people see a stat and use it as hard proof of something so ridiculous like this. I mean come on. How can someone actually believe something as lame as "if Marble hits the magic number of 15 shots we will probably lose"?

15 or more shots 1-2
less than 15 shots 7-2

And like I said before, my post was to defend him for being selfish.

Seems like we have checked out mentally. were 1-5 since the twitter ban. Jok is getting minutes again after not playing since December. We look completely lost on defense. Now we have begun to hit a wall offensively. If we get into the tourney I have no idea what will happen. I just hope we're apart of it. At this point, trying to figure out Iowa hurts my brain entirely too much.. What I do know is that starting Thursday I get to plant my butt in a bar and stare at a TV screen, watching March Madness unfold, while hanging out with my best bud Sam Adams. And for this I am thankful.

Latest posts