I expect Iowa to retain its solid 2010 recruiting class

Honestly, altho I like Cougs, I think he does fit the UNI system more than Fran's system..he could sit a year, get in better shape,and then plug into UNI for three years and have a big career in a slower paced system with a great program.
It has to be tempting for him...if UNI is interested.

Archie has fewer options,if he wants to play Div 1 ball.
He would seem to be a decent fit into the fast pace Franball,but if he is too raw..then maybe he could look at dropping down a division and playing right away like Palmer did.

I don't know why people jump to the conclusion that Cougill won't prosper in this system. He can run reasonably well, and will likely be allowed to play where he'll be most effective--in the low post.

Archie has burned his RS. If he leaves, he might as well give up hoops.

No. He should go to DII or DIII. He will have the same type of success that Palmer experienced and might be able to develop his game enough to get a chance to continue playing after college.

At Iowa he just won't get on the court enough to develop as much as needed.

Spanky, have you heard or seen something about Larson? Brust is on va-ca, but Cully seems to be in so I assume Brust will be, too--and he should flourish in this system. But I've seen nothing anywhere about Larson.

I hope Archie doesn't leave. His athleticism could be a big asset in this type of offense. We need some bigs to get up and down the court.

So, you feel that Ben is going to stick with his commitment? He is the only one that I was really worried that would reconsider. It is good news if he is staying though. I know him and Roy are pretty good friends and will be roommates, so maybe Roy helped convince him to stay.
I think the style of play will certainly help Ben's decision. There are also some connections that Ben has that lead to Fran. Hopefully, he sticks it out and stays committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes, which I think we will see. I would be surprised if it didn't happen that way. Ben is a smart guy, I think he knows Iowa is best place for him.

I don't know why people jump to the conclusion that Cougill won't prosper in this system. He can run reasonably well, and will likely be allowed to play where he'll be most effective--in the low post.

No, he can't. That is the issue. Go back and look at some tape. He really struggled to get up court whenever the ball was pushed.

Now, saying that. There is no doubt he was having some physical problems last year. It was rumored to be a back problem, which could look like foot problems. But, in either event, he really struggled and it wasn't just because he was out of shape.

No. He should go to DII or DIII. He will have the same type of success that Palmer experienced and might be able to develop his game enough to get a chance to continue playing after college.

At Iowa he just won't get on the court enough to develop as much as needed.

Point well taken about lower division basketball, assuming he can get a full two years there.

However, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he won't see time here. He's the best athlete we have in the post outside of undersized Cole. I assume he can run. Coach's Siena teams had some slender, athletic guys IIRC. They are aggressive on defense, and when you play any kind of pressure it's very helpful to have a shot blcoker on the back end to clean up the whiffs. I think Archie might be a guy Coach looks at and says, "I can do something with him."

So, you feel that Ben is going to stick with his commitment? He is the only one that I was really worried that would reconsider. It is good news if he is staying though. I know him and Roy are pretty good friends and will be roommates, so maybe Roy helped convince him to stay.

I've also heard that Brust and Cully are pretty good friends, and Cully deciding to stay could have influenced Brust's decision as well.

I hope Archie doesn't leave. His athleticism could be a big asset in this type of offense. We need some bigs to get up and down the court.

If Archie was a frosh, sure. But he is just too raw still. Which is kind of a concern considering his level of experience.

No, he can't. That is the issue. Go back and look at some tape. He really struggled to get up court whenever the ball was pushed.

Now, saying that. There is no doubt he was having some physical problems last year. It was rumored to be a back problem, which could look like foot problems. But, in either event, he really struggled and it wasn't just because he was out of shape.

You and a lot of other people are drawing too many conclusions from what you saw last year--and by the way, I don't agree with your observation about him "struggling" to get downcourt.

I saw him in high school and he ran very well for his size. Big men take a little time. This one has some skills that make him worth being patient for. If you don't realize that, you're the one who needs to go back and look at some tape of him in high school, when he was being used in a way that suited his skills.

If Archie was a frosh, sure. But he is just too raw still.

CAARHawk, you'd have to have had access to practices or to someone else who watched them regularly to know where Archie stands right now in his development. Do you have that kind of access?

Last edited:

I'm not suggesting he can't , just he seems less likely as he doesn't seem to move 94 feet real fast.

I heard he was in on a solid PG that was between Siena and West Virginia...anyone know more of this?

Bryon Allen is the PG you heard about. He was going to visit Siena.

Bryon Allen - 2O07-2008 Oak Hill Academy Basketball Player Profile - Oak Hill Academy Basketball

I would like to know if Fran will give Trenity Burdine a chance to follow him here. Fran does not have the reputation to take recruits with him but I wonder if he will make an exception here.

Last edited:

Latest posts