HyVee "Classic"

Hawknigh

Haven't heard much lately about people's thoughts on the so-called HyVee "Classic." Is this good for the program? Or just a money grab to be shared with the other schools? Should it be continued?

A money grab would be good for the program in one sense. It is a money grab but good to have Iowa play in Des Moines each year.

Are the fans so apathetic about the Hyvee "Classic" that they don't even want to comment? Is it really that bad? Will anyone even be there tomorrow?

Yeah, there's a fairly decent debate going on over at cyclone fanatic right now about the "classic" (one of the few threads that hasn't devolved into complete garbage yet). Many want to see it changed (and I totally agree). I'm one of the apparently unpopular opinion of going back to home and home series. It was always fun to watch Iowa or Iowa State go to Drake and uni.. and I get tired if the "it only hurts isu" whining.. go play and win.. much better than watching ISU beat up on alcorn state.. Or heaven forbid lose to Milwaukee

I will be there since it's in town and tickets are cheap. I'd like to play both Drake and UNI every season in addition to ISU.

I already shop at HyVee, so, in my case, it's a complete waste of advertising dollars.
Did you forget my donuts?
200.webp

I have always felt they should make this into a tournament. You have the 4 teams there...why not play the next day at night for the 2 winning teams? So what if you play an instate rival twice.
Playing the same team twice in a week is pretty dumb. Not to mention people have to get a hotel for a 2 day tournament. Never happening.

I like playing a game in DSM but it should be aganist Creighton. Unless Drake elevates itself to a top 150 team Iowa should only play them in Iowa City. Playing a neutral site game vs a low level non-P5 team is ridiculous. I live 10 min from Wells Fargo Area, have Iowa men’s hoops season tickets and would not bother driving 10” to watch them play Drake. I did however drive 1.5 hours to watch them play Southern in CHA.

UNC has gone to CF twice now. It’s reasonable to go up there bc their resume deserves it. However, it should be a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal. Barta can sweeten the deal w cash and let FM have some control over when the away games happen (with more experienced teams).

Playing the same team twice in a week is pretty dumb. Not to mention people have to get a hotel for a 2 day tournament. Never happening.
Just don't schedule to play that state team that week. Simple. And, again, if you are getting all the Big State Schools together, why not making it a tournament style. I don't see the problem.

. I did however drive 1.5 hours to watch them play Southern in CHA.

).
This makes no sense.. southern is a bad team.. I'd much rather watch a game against an in state team than some crappy team from elsewhere. maybe it's just me, but sports are supposed to be fun and have fun games.. to me in-state games are fun.. who cares about if they help your "resume"..

But if you want to look at it that way, beating southern regardless of location did nothing for you.. at least playing at Drake would look better than beating southern at home.

I like playing a game in DSM but it should be aganist Creighton. Unless Drake elevates itself to a top 150 team Iowa should only play them in Iowa City. Playing a neutral site game vs a low level non-P5 team is ridiculous. I live 10 min from Wells Fargo Area, have Iowa men’s hoops season tickets and would not bother driving 10” to watch them play Drake. I did however drive 1.5 hours to watch them play Southern in CHA.

UNC has gone to CF twice now. It’s reasonable to go up there bc their resume deserves it. However, it should be a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal. Barta can sweeten the deal w cash and let FM have some control over when the away games happen (with more experienced teams).

I like the idea of playing Creighton but I'm not following your reasoning on driving much farther to watch them play Southern but not watch the Drake game.

Reactions: ISC

News flash: Drake looks a lot better than Iowa so far this year. Infact, Drake has a smaller margin of loss to Big Ten teams than Iowa does, and the team they lost by one to was better than both B1G teams Iowa has played.

I have always felt they should make this into a tournament. You have the 4 teams there...why not play the next day at night for the 2 winning teams? So what if you play an instate rival twice.
Why not just play it like a final four the next night winner vs winner and loser vs loser and free up another date to play a cupcake.

Indiana has the same idea ... Crossroads Classic. This year it's Purdue - Butler and Notre Dame - Indiana. By the way, Purdue is beating Xavier 56-33 at the moment.

I like the idea of playing Creighton but I'm not following your reasoning on driving much farther to watch them play Southern but not watch the Drake game.

Wells Fargo sucks. The place is half full for each game bc Iowa don’t want to watch ISU and likewise. And Southern tickets are $15 not $75 and both were blowouts bc both opponents aren’t very good. I’d have gone to see them play UNI and would go to CHA to watch them play Drake. I’d rather go to Drake’s arena than to WF for the “classic”.

After having to watch this game being "televised" by mc22... We have to end this thing.. jealous of the HD BTN broadcast you guys had for your game.. if this is the best they can do for TV, get rid of the whole thing

Latest posts