Hypothetical, who would want to coach here?

DuffMan

Serious question. Say we can KF, what coach in their right mind would want to come to Iowa, given the fact the coach in their before them was unceremoniously run out of town after having the best decade in school history?

Apparently Fran McCaffery. I'll send him an email reminding him what a crappy situation he finds himself in. Don't be surprised if he totally disagrees and continues on his way of seizing opportunity. 3-4 M definitely chases people away.

Dude Mccaffery came here under completely different circumstances. Read my question again (carefully this time) and come back with a relevant answer.

Serious question. Say we can KF, what coach in their right mind would want to come to Iowa, given the fact the coach in their before them was unceremoniously run out of town after having the best decade in school history?

Tim Brewster: "Are you hungry or are you starving?" sorry just trying to add some humor during an ugly week

Right on brother! A victim of your own success is exclusive to Iowa!

Signed,

Phillip Fullmer, Joe Paterno, Bret Bielema, Bob Stoops, Dan McCarney, Glen Mason, Mark Mangino, Mark Richt...

I played golf with Chuck Long in a charity event this summer. He told our group that coaches outside of Iowa view the head job as one of the top 5-10 in the country. Money, AD support, rabid fans and a pretty good college town were the reasons he gave.......along with realistic expectations, but I think that is starting to change. No idea if what he is saying is legit, but I'll bet if/when Ferentz leaves there is a plethora of solid candidates that would want the job.

Right on brother! A victim of your own success is exclusive to Iowa!

Signed,

Phillip Fullmer, Joe Paterno, Bret Bielema, Bob Stoops, Dan McCarney, Glen Mason, Mark Mangino, Mark Richt...

Nobody has replaced Bielema, Stoops, Paterno, or Richt so we can't make observations on how that turned out.

But of the four you listed, 3 of the new hires replacing them were colossal failures and the other (Dooley at UT) isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

No one! People have VERY unrealistic expectations in this state when it comes to athletics.

Guess we may as well shut down the football program then. It's obviously a coaching graveyard. Nevermind the past 30 years of success. Who in their right mind what want to coach a program with a good tradition that can pay it's head coach $4 million a year?

Guess we may as well shut down the football program then. It's obviously a coaching graveyard. Nevermind the past 30 years of success. Who in their right mind what want to coach a program with a good tradition that can pay it's head coach $4 million a year?
Do you actually think we would pay that money to just anyone. And our football program isn't a recruiting hotbed, which is one of the main reasons coaches choose a program. After KF, which is hopefully not for another decade, we'll get a quality coach....most likely one that will be hated and booed after each and every loss.

I played golf with Chuck Long in a charity event this summer. He told our group that coaches outside of Iowa view the head job as one of the top 5-10 in the country. Money, AD support, rabid fans and a pretty good college town were the reasons he gave.......along with realistic expectations, but I think that is starting to change. No idea if what he is saying is legit, but I'll bet if/when Ferentz leaves there is a plethora of solid candidates that would want the job.

BAMMM! Right here.

I don't want KF to leave. I want him to stay and be successful. I am not one of the folks calling for his or KOK's or Norm's head.

However, there are a TON of coaches out there that would trade their job for the Iowa job. A TON.

Think this through, Duff. Excellent pay, great place to live, TWO coaches in the last THREE decades. TWO. People are not going to shy away from the possiblity of working a great job for over a decade with great pay.

After KF, which is hopefully not for another decade, we'll get a quality coach....

So first you say no one would want the job. Now you say we'll get a quality coach after KF. :confused:

If it's the latter, I agree that we could get a quality coach after KF, despite the recruiting disadvantages, because we have a solid tradition and can afford to pay our football coach VERY well.

For the record, I'm not in the "Fire Ferentz" group at this point, and personally I think it's 99.9% likely that Ferentz leaves Iowa before he ever gets fired.. Only way is if he sinks the program to Lickliter levels and the buyout isn't too horrendous by that point. In that case, I'd agree that it could be tough to hire a good coach for this job if we're only winning 3 games a year or something like that.

So needless to say, I think it's best if KF continues to have at least moderate success (or more) and leaves on his own terms, whether it's another job or retirement, so that it's a more attractive job to the next set of candidates.

A lot of people would want this job, especially people who consider their strengths recruiting (and thus could combat a major weakness of the area), for the pay we hand out.

BAMMM! Right here.

I don't want KF to leave. I want him to stay and be successful. I am not one of the folks calling for his or KOK's or Norm's head.

However, there are a TON of coaches out there that would trade their job for the Iowa job. A TON.

Think this through, Duff. Excellent pay, great place to live, TWO coaches in the last THREE decades. TWO. People are not going to shy away from the possiblity of working a great job for over a decade with great pay.

We are like two peas in a pod.

Latest posts