Hypothetical, who would want to coach here?

We are just poor oll Iowa, who would want to come to Iowa City and coach where the fans are rabid, loyal, where the facilities are damn near top notch, where you get PAID and where a bunch of NFL players are coming out of. Come on cibula, unrealistic expectations to not go.500 year in and year out?? 2 years ago Iowa was the cream of the crop and now Iowa is losing to Minny, ISU and battling Indiana, NW for a top half finish in the division. KF should have been able to take that run two years ago and reload with talent but guess what he didn't.

Look at what Fran has done in his short time here, hard work pays off. Brands has to a point rebuilt the wrestling program, Bluder has a good womens BB program. Wanting to much, I don't think so.

Recruits that are going to commit based off the success of the 2009 season are going to be our 2 most recently signed classes. So they are either mostly freshman or RS Freshman with a handful of sophomores sprinkled in. There is some talent in those classes, but if you are relying on freshmen and sophomores to be the players you "reload" with then you are asking a lot of those young guys.

What is hurting is now is the lack of depth given to us from our classes from 2007-2009.

We are just poor oll Iowa, who would want to come to Iowa City and coach where the fans are rabid, loyal, where the facilities are damn near top notch, where you get PAID and where a bunch of NFL players are coming out of. Come on cibula, unrealistic expectations to not go.500 year in and year out?? 2 years ago Iowa was the cream of the crop and now Iowa is losing to Minny, ISU and battling Indiana, NW for a top half finish in the division. KF should have been able to take that run two years ago and reload with talent but guess what he didn't.

Look at what Fran has done in his short time here, hard work pays off. Brands has to a point rebuilt the wrestling program, Bluder has a good womens BB program. Wanting to much, I don't think so.

I like Fran but it is way too early to start throwing him out there as a model for KF. 1. He has won zip at this point. 2. The top recruits he lured were Sioux City guys,meaning he has kept guys in state.

KF has kept highly rated guys in state,like Wegher,Blythe,and Keenan Davis. But,like Fran missed on Paige, KF will miss on some like Arrington and French. Those CR kids seem to like to leave. Must be CR.

Lots of good points, and Iowa is a good job, but the fact remains firing KF for "performance" would definitely make it less desirable.

Lots of good points, and Iowa is a good job, but the fact remains firing KF for "performance" would definitely make it less desirable.

I'm not in love with KF but I don't see how this can be logically disputed.

Also - we will absolutely pay someone 3MM+ a year to start when we replace KF. It may be more.

Iowa is a great job. A GREAT job.

But it is also a job that requires a good fit, and that is hard at Iowa. KF is a great fit for Iowa, may or may not be a great coach.

So when looking at other coaches, you have to look at coaches you know Iowa and know Iowa City and that you know will fit in there. If you don't, you end up with Steve Alford.

To me, this means you have four candidates. One of the Stoops Brothers, or BB coimes down from Madison. To not hire someone with Iowa ties, who gets Iowa is a recipe for disaster.

That being said, while it is interesting to talk about this, there is 0% chance KF is getting canned this year or next.... and to Duff's overall point, that's probably a good thing.

I really don't understand or buy the "recruiting disadvantage" that people like to attach to the Iowa program. Kids will come to a place if they think they can win. No, we don't land four and five star recruits on a regular basis but we do have our share of four stars. We have the facilities, we have a strong tradition, a great fan base ... If you want to compare our recruiting disadvantage to the Florida's of the world, then yes we are at a disadvantage ... But I think this excuse has become a crutch too often. We can recruit good players to Iowa and we have in the past ... You don't necessarily have to have a roster with four and five star players to win ... Does Boise State land top five recruiting classes? Didn't we land a top 5 recruiting class in 2005? It can be done ... Lots of places in the Midwest are cold and miserable ... Haven't we taken quite a few quality players from Illinois? From Florida? It can be done ...

I don't know what they have in Iowa but in the south, spring football is common. In Iowa there are rules about contact with the student/athletes prior to August. Year round weight programs, pee wee league tackle football that start at age 6 are common in most southern towns. In the south football is the sport.

Iowa has the smallest population of the B10 except for Nebraska. Nebraska's advantage is that they have a winning tradition, national championships, national acceptance as a football school. Penn State has a national following and access to a large population base.

If your a student 5 star athlete and you have offers from all the major colleges, where do you think Iowa is going rank in your consideration? Remember Iowa's reputation is as a wrestling school not a footbal school. That was pointed out earlier by a Penn State player.

The top football team in this state wouldn't make it to the playoffs in Florida, Alabama or Texas and probably not fare that well against teams from Ohio, Michigan or Illinois.

Serious question. Say we can KF, what coach in their right mind would want to come to Iowa, given the fact the coach in their before them was unceremoniously run out of town after having the best decade in school history?
A coach who wants to make a lot of money....

This is just a thought but there probably are many coaches that would like to earn $4,000,000 a year.

But it is a moot question because Iowa does not want to fire KF and they couldn't afford it if they wanted to...

Latest posts