Husker fans give respect to perfect Iowa

There always has to be one of those in every crowd. It was decent of them to do that. Hey 74Hunter it's ok because I wouldn't root for you either. 2 bad you got banned over here on Hawkeye Nation. LOL

Didn't realize I was banned, and I wouldn't expect you to root for us either.

I didn't read the thread but I read a Husker Moderator on Rivals that said Iowa fans were the worst fans Nebraska has ever had to deal with (worst than Colorado and Missouri). The moderator is pretty obnoxious about it. I still can't believe the Nebraska crowd was cheering the injured Iowa player (I heard) and the Nebraska players were giving each other high fives (I saw). Pretty classless is an understatement. There better be some crow eaten for as much false bravado Nebraska fans were dishing out.

Isn't it pretty much protocol to clap for an injured player once that player gets off/is taken off the field?

Where were these high fives you speak of, and how do you know their intent?

Isn't it pretty much protocol to clap for an injured player once that player gets off/is taken off the field?

Where were these high fives you speak of, and how do you know their intent?
You are generally a good poster on this site, but come on, you could see the congratulations and celebration while Smith was laying on the turf after the illegal hit. I think he was actually pumping the crowd up. Not the best moment for Nebraska, and one you shouldn't try to defend. I saw a guy get ejected in an earlier game (maybe Toledo) and that guy was crying because he felt so bad. I don't expect guys to cry, but to be proud of laying a guy out because you hit him head to head is just ignorant and that guy and anyone who cheered should be embarrassed.

You are generally a good poster on this site, but come on, you could see the congratulations and celebration while Smith was laying on the turf after the illegal hit. I think he was actually pumping the crowd up. Not the best moment for Nebraska, and one you shouldn't try to defend. I saw a guy get ejected in an earlier game (maybe Toledo) and that guy was crying because he felt so bad. I don't expect guys to cry, but to be proud of laying a guy out because you hit him head to head is just ignorant and that guy and anyone who cheered should be embarrassed.

Can you explain the hit you are speaking of? Honestly I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Edit: Ok, I went back and looked, it was the play were Gerry got ejected. I can't determine the intent of anyone, but I would have to assume that he was being congratulated because his team mates saw him break up a pass on 3rd down and thought it was a clean hit, not because an opposing player was hurt.

Most fans and football players don't want to see other players get seriously injured.

Last edited:
Can you explain the hit you are speaking of? Honestly I'm not sure what you are talking about.

When Smith was laying on the ground not moving the whole stadium was boooing the flag. You may not like the rule, but that hit on Smith by Gerry was the very definition of a target. I'm not going to call Gerry a dirty player, but that certainly is exactly that kind of tackling (leading with the head to create the hit) that the NCAA was trying to eliminate from the game. The game moves so fast that when you lead with your head you are creating dangerous situations for players falling to the ground or diving for the gall as Smith was on that play.

When Smith was laying on the ground not moving the whole stadium was boooing the flag. You may not like the rule, but that hit on Smith by Gerry was the very definition of a target. I'm not going to call Gerry a dirty player, but that certainly is exactly that kind of tackling (leading with the head to create the hit) that the NCAA was trying to eliminate from the game. The game moves so fast that when you lead with your head you are creating dangerous situations for players falling to the ground or diving for the gall as Smith was on that play.
The worst part about the whole thing was his teammates congratulating him after Smith was down for a little while. And then he was throwing his hands up pumping up the crowd. There is a time to shut your mouth, and take a knee, like for example when a guy is down on the turf.

The worst part about the whole thing was his teammates congratulating him after Smith was down for a little while. And then he was throwing his hands up pumping up the crowd. There is a time to shut your mouth, and take a knee, like for example when a guy is down on the turf.

From my previous post: I went back and looked (Sorry didn't know who Smith was), it was the play were Gerry got ejected. I can't determine the intent of anyone, but I would have to assume that he was being congratulated because his team mates saw him break up a pass on 3rd down and thought it was a clean hit, not because an opposing player was hurt.

Most fans and football players don't want to see other players get seriously injured.

IMO, I don't like the rule, but it was likely called correctly in this instance.

I heard the U.S. Air Force is going to name a new missile after Nate Gerry.

Behavior after the play was completely punkass, by the way.

Last edited:
From my previous post: I went back and looked (Sorry didn't know who Smith was), it was the play were Gerry got ejected. I can't determine the intent of anyone, but I would have to assume that he was being congratulated because his team mates saw him break up a pass on 3rd down and thought it was a clean hit, not because an opposing player was hurt.

IMO, I don't like the rule, but it was likely called correctly in this instance.

I personally didn't have a problem with the fans booing, as they were booing the call on the field. The high 5's by his teammates though is kind of low class. They saw Smith laying there and especially #24 kept slapping Gerry, looking at Smith laying on the field. Most of the time even the opposing team is concerned when any player is laid out on the field, but not #24.

Credit the Huskers trainers, as they were instantly there to help Smith.

I personally didn't have a problem with the fans booing, as they were booing the call on the field. The high 5's by his teammates though is kind of low class. They saw Smith laying there and especially #24 kept slapping Gerry, looking at Smith laying on the field. Most of the time even the opposing team is concerned when any player is laid out on the field, but not #24.

Credit the Huskers trainers, as they were instantly there to help Smith.

Agreed. The Husker trainers did the same thing with Neimann after Jewell gave him a new earhole. It was pretty funny when he tried pushing one of them off of him. You could tell he was seeing stars.

74Hunter you seem reasonable. You come on to our boards to show Husker fans can be reasonable. Any reasonable person can see that upon being ejected (which means he was told why and maybe he didn't know before but at that point he did) he was egging the crowd on because he knew good and well what he had done. You may not be able to know his intent but his actions told everyone he was ok if not proud of what he had done. I think we Iowa fans have been reasonable in response to your comments. Might I suggest you do not reply to this thread any more. It is disrespectful to even be neutral about Mr Gerry's actions whether you agree with the rule or not, doesn't matter. It is a rule for a game to protect those who play for our enjoyment and theirs. Your ambivalence is to this type of behavior is not welcome here. I bid you good day.

Hi Guys first time Posting! I for one from experience know that it is difficult at any given time to see when and where a player is down on the field especially when near a sideline. I won't excuse anything and can't refute the penalty as called as it was a helmet to helmet hit so targeting as everyone has stated is the call to be made.
I think there should be some discussion though on some of the circumstances when the ejection should be called and when it should be declared targeting and maybe just happenstance.

For instance this call favors all offensive players, as a smart running back or receiver can and have "drawn" this penalty before by dropping down prior to impact. now obviously this is easier to tell in replay so that is why I feel that should be taken into account. And much like other penalties maybe should be given an Unintentional helmet to helmet? 5 yard or so?

I can understand both standpoints on him being taken off the field ad Iowa fans thinking it was disrespectful, but wasn't Smith already up and off the field by this time? As Gerry was unaware he was ejected until play was about to resume so why blast a persons character for trying to pump up a fan base, and teammates who are losing a relatively close game to an Unbeaten? He is a leader for the team and was trying to pump people up.

the clear evidence of targeting could have oddly been called on an Iowa vs Iowa player hat was the worst helmet to helmet I have seen in a very long time, Seeing as they were both Iowa players you can obviously and rightly assume he didn't intend to drill his teammate in the ear hole but it happened and that was a serious injury. So one can easily see how you can't say Gerry was trying to go for the head and in most cases it isn't easy to actually target on purpose at the speed of the game so 90% of these calls IMO are all accidental. Obviously that 10% where the offensive player is upright and the defender launches you can 100% tell it was on purpose with intent.

I certainly didn't intend to sound like a homer because I feel like it is easy to take either side here. All I was looking was to add my .02 to this discussion so that you can form your own opinion. would truly like to give people the benefit of the doubt in all circumstances, unless the player is MIAMI then you can pretty much bet it was intentional!:)

PS gotta say I am quite jealous that you guys have so much to look forward to and still have excitement for the season, as I have been filled with nothing but dread ever since we hired a great guy who is historically a loser, and brought his love-able bunch of brain dead assistants.

Hi Guys first time Posting! I for one from experience know that it is difficult at any given time to see when and where a player is down on the field especially when near a sideline. I won't excuse anything and can't refute the penalty as called as it was a helmet to helmet hit so targeting as everyone has stated is the call to be made.
I think there should be some discussion though on some of the circumstances when the ejection should be called and when it should be declared targeting and maybe just happenstance.

For instance this call favors all offensive players, as a smart running back or receiver can and have "drawn" this penalty before by dropping down prior to impact. now obviously this is easier to tell in replay so that is why I feel that should be taken into account. And much like other penalties maybe should be given an Unintentional helmet to helmet? 5 yard or so?

I can understand both standpoints on him being taken off the field ad Iowa fans thinking it was disrespectful, but wasn't Smith already up and off the field by this time? As Gerry was unaware he was ejected until play was about to resume so why blast a persons character for trying to pump up a fan base, and teammates who are losing a relatively close game to an Unbeaten? He is a leader for the team and was trying to pump people up.

the clear evidence of targeting could have oddly been called on an Iowa vs Iowa player hat was the worst helmet to helmet I have seen in a very long time, Seeing as they were both Iowa players you can obviously and rightly assume he didn't intend to drill his teammate in the ear hole but it happened and that was a serious injury. So one can easily see how you can't say Gerry was trying to go for the head and in most cases it isn't easy to actually target on purpose at the speed of the game so 90% of these calls IMO are all accidental. Obviously that 10% where the offensive player is upright and the defender launches you can 100% tell it was on purpose with intent.

I certainly didn't intend to sound like a homer because I feel like it is easy to take either side here. All I was looking was to add my .02 to this discussion so that you can form your own opinion. would truly like to give people the benefit of the doubt in all circumstances, unless the player is MIAMI then you can pretty much bet it was intentional!:)

PS gotta say I am quite jealous that you guys have so much to look forward to and still have excitement for the season, as I have been filled with nothing but dread ever since we hired a great guy who is historically a loser, and brought his love-able bunch of brain dead assistants.

Regarding the bolded... I don't know of any "smart" offensive players who would intentionally lower their head to try to get it knocked off their body just so they could draw a 15 yard penalty. Some things are more important than a game, and I can't imagine any coach ever instructing a player to intentionally lower their head to try to draw a targeting penalty. I agree with most of your post, but that part was pretty stupid.

Regarding the bolded... I don't know of any "smart" offensive players who would intentionally lower their head to try to get it knocked off their body just so they could draw a 15 yard penalty. Some things are more important than a game, and I can't imagine any coach ever instructing a player to intentionally lower their head to try to draw a targeting penalty. I agree with most of your post, but that part was pretty stupid.
The other part of his post I disagree with is that Smith was laying on the turf and Gerry was pumping up the crowd. He clearly was being a dbag and if he played for Iowa I would say the same thing.

He made a play and got ejected for it and rightly so given the rules. Nobody has any idea of what his intent was so to say he was or wasn't trying to take the kids head off is silly.

Serious question, what is the consensus here on the Jordan Lomax hit on Jarvis West last year? The replays of the two look similar. Both guys are on their way to the ground trying to separate the ball. Once they leave their feet, the trajectory is fixed, it's not like they have flight control surfaces to alter it. Listen to what Lomax had to say afterwards about that play, the same things he went through in terms of split second decisions apply to both guys. After each of the hits, both Gerry's and Lomax's teammates are celebrating in a similar way. Bonus question. Is it really the player or is it the uniform they are wearing?

You should get hit like that once and see if you still like it.

What would you assume when the offending player leaves the field and incites the plays to cheer after an illegal hit.

Latest posts