Hunter Johnson to Northwestern

What is up with Minny and NW signing all of these recruits? What are they selling?
NW is selling beach front practice facilities and PJ is a pushy fast talking hyper Putz! That's all I can think of. I guess kids now a days like all the flash and hype.

I was trying to be funny having taught myself (no longer). I don't know how anyone could do it that long. This day and age it's like have a bunch of Dean's in the classroom questioning everything you do and have little you can really do about it.

I was having trouble with a class of teens where I had 5 kids that were gone at some point for drug rehab and 5 were arrested during the year for breaking and entering and one who ended up in prison for assault. The prin was getting on me about discipline. So when one was acting up in class I called the prin on the intercom and asked him to show me how it's done. He came down and put his hand on the kids shoulder. The kid grabbed his tie and they went crashing over tables and chairs. Finally Mr B got him in a headlock when the janitor intervened. As he straightened his tie, I said, "Mr. B is that how I do ti? Another time I sent a kid to the office and Mr B called me down. He asked the kid what I was doing to make him so upset. The kid smarted off to Mr. B who promptly kicked the kid in the shin with cowboy boots. If I had done that Mr B would have been all over me.

The kids left class once and got on a motorcycle and were cutting up the football field on it. I got them corralled and locked the bike in the shop and wasn't going to let it out until the kids parents came in. They complained and Mr. B gave it back.

I think I aged like those pics in one year.
Xerxes, who is also a former teacher, has made similar comments in the past.

Is he dual threat and a very good runner? Those are the types that can really give us problems. more stationary passing type qbs I hope will get buried by our improved pass rush.

He has to sit out a year doesnt he?
The whole thing is, PSU, Northwestern and Nebraska are all wanting to run what is termed as rpo. Which works best against..... zone coverage.
We are going to have to get used to and better at playing man coverage and bringing a safety down.
I think they know this and is why it's been mentioned that they are searching for a safety/lb hybrid. I think they know what to do, but maybe didn't have the exact right guys to pull it off.
I don't think those teams will be nearly as difficult in the future. (I hope not anyway).

The whole thing is, PSU, Northwestern and Nebraska are all wanting to run what is termed as rpo. Which works best against..... zone coverage.
We are going to have to get used to and better at playing man coverage and bringing a safety down.
I think they know this and is why it's been mentioned that they are searching for a safety/lb hybrid. I think they know what to do, but maybe didn't have the exact right guys to pull it off.
I don't think those teams will be nearly as difficult in the future. (I hope not anyway).

I saw a pretty cool breakdown of how the Eagles ran their RPOs last yr on the NFL network. And your right on with how zone D really is susceptible to it. You have to have LBs that are fast and play their assignments. Part of it is just alignment too. If your LB on the weak side of the play is playing too far off the line it's almost a guaranteed 7 yard running play at the least. Coaches have their hands full trying to defend this. It's just a new wrinkle to what the good ole fashioned option style was. In terms of college football and if you have an athletic fast QB that can read and react on the fly (Lamar Jackson type) You can put up video game numbers with it. You don't need that necessarily as Nick Foles and some others have shown but boy do they put a stress on your D.

I saw a pretty cool breakdown of how the Eagles ran their RPOs last yr on the NFL network. And your right on with how zone D really is susceptible to it. You have to have LBs that are fast and play their assignments. Part of it is just alignment too. If your LB on the weak side of the play is playing too far off the line it's almost a guaranteed 7 yard running play at the least. Coaches have their hands full trying to defend this. It's just a new wrinkle to what the good ole fashioned option style was. In terms of college football and if you have an athletic fast QB that can read and react on the fly (Lamar Jackson type) You can put up video game numbers with it. You don't need that necessarily as Nick Foles and some others have shown but boy do they put a stress on your D.
Yup it's just option or veer football with a bunch of motion. The motion is to try and get the d thinking to much - out of position and playing reaction football. That's why it works for 7 yard gains, it's exploiting the reaction/recovery time. Eventually they get frustrated and give up a big play.
The key to beating an offense like that is to understand what they are trying to make you do. What weakness they are looking for.
If you bring a safety down, that lb could have shown blitz. Not that he had to, but he could have shown it and been lined up as such.
That said you need a hybrid safety that can supply run support efficiently if needed also.

It goes without saying that you always want to keep an offense behind the chains. The more you do it to an option offense, the less options they have.
It works that way in general anyway, but it really messes with option style ball. The whole thing is predicated on always being in short situations allowing for a bevy of plays and options to keep a defense on its heels.

Yup it's just option or veer football with a bunch of motion. The motion is to try and get the d thinking to much - out of position and playing reaction football. That's why it works for 7 yard gains, it's exploiting the reaction/recovery time. Eventually they get frustrated and give up a big play.
The key to beating an offense like that is to understand what they are trying to make you do. What weakness they are looking for.
If you bring a safety down, that lb could have shown blitz. Not that he had to, but he could have shown it and been lined up as such.
That said you need a hybrid safety that can supply run support efficiently if needed also.
The motion also tips off the QB and offense as to what the D is in be it man or zone. It's a successful style if your Oline is in sync and QB makes the right reads and you have skill guys that can fly. Cause all it takes is one defender to be fooled or out of position by a step or 2 and boom...

The motion also tips off the QB and offense as to what the D is in be it man or zone. It's a successful style if your Oline is in sync and QB makes the right reads and you have skill guys that can fly. Cause all it takes is one defender to be fooled or out of position by a step or 2 and boom...
Exactly.
You know. Lol

I was trying to be funny having taught myself (no longer). I don't know how anyone could do it that long. This day and age it's like have a bunch of Dean's in the classroom questioning everything you do and have little you can really do about it.

I was having trouble with a class of teens where I had 5 kids that were gone at some point for drug rehab and 5 were arrested during the year for breaking and entering and one who ended up in prison for assault. The prin was getting on me about discipline. So when one was acting up in class I called the prin on the intercom and asked him to show me how it's done. He came down and put his hand on the kids shoulder. The kid grabbed his tie and they went crashing over tables and chairs. Finally Mr B got him in a headlock when the janitor intervened. As he straightened his tie, I said, "Mr. B is that how I do ti? Another time I sent a kid to the office and Mr B called me down. He asked the kid what I was doing to make him so upset. The kid smarted off to Mr. B who promptly kicked the kid in the shin with cowboy boots. If I had done that Mr B would have been all over me.

The kids left class once and got on a motorcycle and were cutting up the football field on it. I got them corralled and locked the bike in the shop and wasn't going to let it out until the kids parents came in. They complained and Mr. B gave it back.

I think I aged like those pics in one year.

My wife works with the behavior kids. NOT FUN! Some are just absolutely horrible. I'm not sure what they did with these kinds of kids when I was younger but we didn't have the extreme kids that she works with. I'm sure much of it is the way these kids are brought up now with one parent homes, etc.. There are some messed up kids out there. Some just don't have any empathy for others.

She gets hit and bit, they've turned the teachers desk over, they've slammed down laptops on the floor breaking them. She even had a 3rd grader state to her that he was going to put his _____ in her mouth. Her job has luckily now shifted where she's more evaluating for the school district but there are still teachers putting up with this crap.

These kids have no consequences at home and take that to school where the state limits the consequences that the schools and teachers can set. Complete F upped system. Some of these kids need to be in a boot camp school to really scare the shit out of them and to learn to respect.

Last edited:
What is up with Minny and NW signing all of these recruits? What are they selling?

If you go to Minnesota you get an OAR on your HELMET. Its like sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads. OARS ON YOUR HELMET. ROW IT BABY ROW THAT BOAT

back-of-maroon-helmet.jpg

My wife works with the behavior kids. NOT FUN! Some are just absolutely horrible. I'm not sure what they did with these kinds of kids when I was younger but we didn't have the extreme kids that she works with. I'm sure much of it is the way these kids are brought up now with one parent homes, etc.. There are some messed up kids out there. Some just don't have any empathy for others.

She gets hit and bit, they've turned the teachers desk over, they've slammed down laptops on the floor breaking them. She even had a 3rd grader state to her that he was going to put his _____ in her mouth. Her job has luckily now shifted where she's more evaluating for the school district but there are still teachers putting up with this crap.

These kids have no consequences at home and take that to school where the state limits the consequences that the schools and teachers can set. Complete F upped system. Some of these kids need to be in a boot camp school to really scare the shit out of them and to learn to respect.

My wife sells back to school notebooks and folders. I keep saying shes living in the past because eventually all kids are going to have tablets and laptops and wont need folders anymore.

Then I hear tons of stories like yours where kids destroy anything and everything they get their hands on, and suddenly her career seems pretty safe ;)

Is he dual threat and a very good runner? Those are the types that can really give us problems. more stationary passing type qbs I hope will get buried by our improved pass rush.

He has to sit out a year doesnt he?
I don't think he's a dual threat in a Lamar Jackson kind of way. But he's not a statue either. Listed at 6'2 210. So I'd guess his style is similar to what CJB was for us. And yes he has to sit out this year and has 3 yrs after that to play

I'm sure much of it is the way these kids are brought up now with one parent homes, etc.. T
I know full well you didn't mean it this way, but just wanted to toss it out there...my son is 11 and his mom and I split when he was 2, we live in the same small town about 3/4 mile apart and split custody 50/50. We get along great now and split expenses 50/50 (never were married so no child support). Son gets A's in school, plays sports, has lots of friends, and we've never heard a peep about behavior. If one of us would like to take him on one of our "off" days it's zero problem, we just switch another day and he can ride his bike back and forth anytime he wants...I do know that when his mom and I lived together as a two-parent household, we fought a lot and I'm ashamed to say we yelled in front of him all the time. Total shit show. Tried to keep it together because we had a kid. We just couldn't be in a relationship and the best thing we ever did was split.

Like I said I know you didn't mean to say anything bad; just thought it was worth mentioning.

When he was about to start preschool we went in to meet with the teacher. She was a 115 year old, leather battle axe with no compassion for anything. A straight out of the '30s, "kids should be seen and not heard" type. She assumed we were married and when we told her we weren't, and what our custody arrangement was, she went on a 15 minute rant about how a child needs one home (not surprisingly with his mother), how they won't do well or succeed with the "chaos" of going back and forth between two homes all the time, and how we'd be "hurting" him by doing what we're doing. We were new to this and he was our only kid, and her spiel scared us enough that we almost considered doing what she told us because we didn't' know any better. I bring that up because it would have been the worst possible thing I can think of, especially now that I see how he's turned out. Traditional homes aren't the best in every single case.

For all you new or expecting parents out there, don't take a dinosaur's advice on how you should raise your kids just because he or she had 8 of 'em. Chances are that if someone's bold enough to tell you what to do with your children, their own kids are likely maladjusted assholes that you wouldn't want to meet anyway.

It's complicated as heck. Kids with no parents. Kids with 1 parent. Kids with 2 opposing parents. Kids who are abused. Kids with permissive parents. What stinks is that kids who are good kids and from good families that have learning disabilities get into the same classroom as the really troubled kids I taught in 3 different schools from really small to over 1000 in the HS. The smaller the school, the more discipline issues there were.

Defenses are starting to get the hang of really attacking the qb-rb mesh point of zone reads and other shotgun run pass option offenses. If you noticed in the big upset of Mich in 16 and near upset of PSU in 17 the hawk defense was making hits as the qb and rb were right together before any read can be made by the qb.

It goes back to attacking rather than reacting and I am glad to see Phil Parker doing it. Like you said if you can throw these types of option offense for a loss on first or second down and get them in third and long then all the better. Plus you force turnovers this way.

I know full well you didn't mean it this way, but just wanted to toss it out there...my son is 11 and his mom and I split when he was 2, we live in the same small town about 3/4 mile apart and split custody 50/50. We get along great now and split expenses 50/50 (never were married so no child support). Son gets A's in school, plays sports, has lots of friends, and we've never heard a peep about behavior. If one of us would like to take him on one of our "off" days it's zero problem, we just switch another day and he can ride his bike back and forth anytime he wants...I do know that when his mom and I lived together as a two-parent household, we fought a lot and I'm ashamed to say we yelled in front of him all the time. Total shit show. Tried to keep it together because we had a kid. We just couldn't be in a relationship and the best thing we ever did was split.

Like I said I know you didn't mean to say anything bad; just thought it was worth mentioning.

When he was about to start preschool we went in to meet with the teacher. She was a 115 year old, leather battle axe with no compassion for anything. A straight out of the '30s, "kids should be seen and not heard" type. She assumed we were married and when we told her we weren't, and what our custody arrangement was, she went on a 15 minute rant about how a child needs one home (not surprisingly with his mother), how they won't do well or succeed with the "chaos" of going back and forth between two homes all the time, and how we'd be "hurting" him by doing what we're doing. We were new to this and he was our only kid, and her spiel scared us enough that we almost considered doing what she told us because we didn't' know any better. I bring that up because it would have been the worst possible thing I can think of, especially now that I see how he's turned out. Traditional homes aren't the best in every single case.

For all you new or expecting parents out there, don't take a dinosaur's advice on how you should raise your kids just because he or she had 8 of 'em. Chances are that if someone's bold enough to tell you what to do with your children, their own kids are likely maladjusted assholes that you wouldn't want to meet anyway.

People like that piss me off. Glad you did what worked for you.

I could go on a long rant about marriage, but I'll spare everyone the science lecture :)

Latest posts