Hubbard to Nebraska?

That's fine, but be sure to frame your opinions as your opinions.
FWIW,my theory is Hubbard did something to break Fran's rules,whether it was grades or whatever,and Fran gave him the choice to leave or get booted. That would explain the "Hubbards decision"part of the press release. The homesickness thing is way overblown. I don't see where Hubbard or the school said that.

I still think the best answer for cause of his sudden departure has to come from his grades in summmer school. Nothing else makes any sense.

I'm a Cyclone fan, so take this for whatever it's worth. I've been to Iowa City and Lincoln for multiple basketball games and here is my opinion:

1) Iowa City > Lincoln

2) Carver-Hawkeye Arena >>>>>>> DeVanney Center

3) Fran McCaffery >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doc Sadler

He had to be booted.

As a clone fan as well DeVanny Center is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carver.

As far as coaches I couldnt care less. Doc Sadler is a midget.

I heard he was having a lot of trouble with being recognized everywhere. He is used to being in a big city where few people know who you are. IC is a fishbowl. He was constantly running into media people and everyone knew who he was.

Last edited:
I heard he was having a lot of trouble with being recognized everywhere. He is used to being in a big city where few people know who you are. IC is a fishbowl. He was constantly running into media people and everyone knew who he was.

If this is the case he'd better not play d-1 basketball.

I don't understand how any other college city or town is any different to Iowa City at all. I've been to multiple college campuses and I must say Iowa City is similar to all of them. In face people in Iowa City tend to ignore you more than people in Cedar Falls, people in DC (both George Washington and Georgetown campuses), Boston, NYC (which has multiple colleges), San Diego, Morgantown, Austin, etc. It doesn't matter where he goes. This issue would follow.

Just curious...if Hubbard tomorrow said he made a huge mistake and wanted to be a Hawkeye, would you welcome him back? Would Fran?

Just curious...if Hubbard tomorrow said he made a huge mistake and wanted to be a Hawkeye, would you welcome him back? Would Fran?

I dont think so...it was a risk bringing him in to begin with. Dont think there is a bridge to go back across

I dont think so...it was a risk bringing him in to begin with. Dont think there is a bridge to go back across

That's what I figured the answer would be, but dang, you guys needed a player like him. Not trying to be dramatic or overstate his value, but I saw posts on here about how his penetration would have made guys like Gatens even better, and I agreed.

And Lincoln, Nebraska isn't??!!! Holy cow, if he thinks Lincoln is going to provide him with a more "big city where few people know who I am" mentality then this kid is DUMB and will have a rude awakening.

Absolutely seems like there is more to this story. The fact Hubbard is being tight-lipped and the fact Fran has not really said much makes you wonder if Hubbard did something behind the scenes and Fran simply said "bye-bye" ... Obviously makes no sense to say you want to play closer to home and then all of a sudden you are reconsidering a school that is farther away from home than the school you just left. Possibly Fran talked to Hubbard and they both agreed to part ways so that Fran would not come under additional scrutiny if Hubbard did indeed bend the rules after Fran stuck his neck out to bring Hubbard to the University of Iowa.

None of what has come out thus far makes sense. It is unfortunate all the way around in the fact Fran spent a lot of time trying to bring Hubbard to Iowa, and on paper, it appeared Hubbard would be a nice addition for the Hawks. With the time spent courting Hubbard it simply does not make sense for him to bail after only weeks on campus. What's done is done ... But as fans, it sure makes you wonder because it just doesn't add up ... I had a hard time believing a 26 year old guy who spent four years in prison would be homesick ... So surprised he made an initial statement that he wanted to play closer to home ... and then turns around and is in contact with Nebraska ...

Latest posts