Hubbard to Nebraska?

Absolutely seems like there is more to this story. The fact Hubbard is being tight-lipped and the fact Fran has not really said much makes you wonder if Hubbard did something behind the scenes and Fran simply said "bye-bye" ... Obviously makes no sense to say you want to play closer to home and then all of a sudden you are reconsidering a school that is farther away from home than the school you just left. Possibly Fran talked to Hubbard and they both agreed to part ways so that Fran would not come under additional scrutiny if Hubbard did indeed bend the rules after Fran stuck his neck out to bring Hubbard to the University of Iowa.

None of what has come out thus far makes sense. It is unfortunate all the way around in the fact Fran spent a lot of time trying to bring Hubbard to Iowa, and on paper, it appeared Hubbard would be a nice addition for the Hawks. With the time spent courting Hubbard it simply does not make sense for him to bail after only weeks on campus. What's done is done ... But as fans, it sure makes you wonder because it just doesn't add up ... I had a hard time believing a 26 year old guy who spent four years in prison would be homesick ... So surprised he made an initial statement that he wanted to play closer to home ... and then turns around and is in contact with Nebraska ...

Fran was out of town recruiting though. Things aren't really adding up, unless it's about summer grades. That's the only thing that makes any sense at this point.

Absolutely seems like there is more to this story. The fact Hubbard is being tight-lipped and the fact Fran has not really said much makes you wonder if Hubbard did something behind the scenes and Fran simply said "bye-bye" ... Obviously makes no sense to say you want to play closer to home and then all of a sudden you are reconsidering a school that is farther away from home than the school you just left. Possibly Fran talked to Hubbard and they both agreed to part ways so that Fran would not come under additional scrutiny if Hubbard did indeed bend the rules after Fran stuck his neck out to bring Hubbard to the University of Iowa.

None of what has come out thus far makes sense. It is unfortunate all the way around in the fact Fran spent a lot of time trying to bring Hubbard to Iowa, and on paper, it appeared Hubbard would be a nice addition for the Hawks. With the time spent courting Hubbard it simply does not make sense for him to bail after only weeks on campus. What's done is done ... But as fans, it sure makes you wonder because it just doesn't add up ... I had a hard time believing a 26 year old guy who spent four years in prison would be homesick ... So surprised he made an initial statement that he wanted to play closer to home ... and then turns around and is in contact with Nebraska ...

Read the statement closely. He says he and his JUCO coach were going to look at other schools "perhaps" closer to home. As I noted elsewhere, "perhaps" also not closer to home.

The "homesickness" is total crap that appears to have been suggested by the message boards, not by AH, Fran or Barta.

I do not know what happened here or where the kid's mind is at. I can't join the chorus of those wishing him well. His departure -- for whatever reason -- gives Fran, Barta and the whole Iowa program a big black eye. I hope he continues on the right path and stays out of trouble, but I do not wish him well. I sincerely hope he does not play one second of D1 basketball.

Last edited:
I can't join the chorus of those wishing him well. His departure -- for whatever reason -- gives Fran, Barta and the whole Iowa program a big black eye. I hope we continues on the right path and stays out of trouble, but I do not wish him well. I sincerely hope he does not play one second of D1 basketball.
I did wish him well at first, but if he ends up at Nebraska, I'll have to re-think that. Just need more facts and info at this point, really.

By the way Hubbard is NOT the type of player we want or need at Iowa. That should be somewhat obvious.

Not sure exactly what you mean here. From all accounts he was an athletic, aggressive player who could drive the basket, get to the rim and draw the foul. We need more of that. Now, a player with a checkered past, one who's not fully committed to playing basketball for the University of Iowa ... I guess not.

Character, Loyalty, Appreciation, 26 year old felon who spent four years in prison, need I go on......

Fran give him the biggest break in his life and he is talking to Nebraska. Seems somewhat like backstabbing to me.

Really doesn't matter what caliber of player he is.....

Last edited:
You guys are all chasing your tales. There is no 'real reason'. There is no grade or broken rule issue. The fact is it was nothing more than Hubbard didn't feel comfortable in IC or among his teamates and decided he wanted to go elsewhere.

If there is anything else going on it is the best kept secret in the history of Iowa athletics.

You guys are all chasing your tales. There is no 'real reason'. There is no grade or broken rule issue. The fact is it was nothing more than Hubbard didn't feel comfortable in IC or among his teamates and decided he wanted to go elsewhere.

If there is anything else going on it is the best kept secret in the history of Iowa athletics.

Didn't feel comfortable in Iowa City? Didn't mesh well with new teammates? Sorry, that doesn't compute. In the span of a few short years the kid has been in prison, Odessa, Tex. (now there's the garden spot of the world) and Frederick, Md. (again, just a delightful place), and has had all sorts of new people around him, some not so very nice. The kid seems to have adapted to new surroundings, whether by force or by choice. I'm not buying it.

Either he did something to get the boot (and it's being worded nicely by all involved) or there's some tampering going on here.

Either way, it stinks, and is a black eye for Fran, Barta and teh whole program.

A black eye for the whole program? Hubbard leaving is bad news for our WL record, and might provide some fodder or entertainment for clown fans but its hardly a black eye for the program. Outside IC this is nothing more than a player transfer on a bad team.

A black eye for the whole program? Hubbard leaving is bad news for our WL record, and might provide some fodder or entertainment for clown fans but its hardly a black eye for the program. Outside IC this is nothing more than a player transfer on a bad team.

"Balck eye"? Thats pretty dramatic. A black eye would be if a crime was committed and it was splashed all over the papers, tv, etc. This is simply an oddity, not much more.

Last edited:
Bramlage was based on Carver, actually the original design of Carver before the bowl was widened to make room to have multiple mats for wrestling tournaments. Bramlage seating is tighter to the floor, the way most of us would like it to be at Carver for maximum effect.

Either he did something to get the boot (and it's being worded nicely by all involved) or there's some tampering going on here.

Either way, it stinks, and is a black eye for Fran, Barta and teh whole program.

Really? Those are the only options?

Take a breath and relax. Your whole post is over the top

Didn't feel comfortable in Iowa City? Didn't mesh well with new teammates? Sorry, that doesn't compute. In the span of a few short years the kid has been in prison, Odessa, Tex. (now there's the garden spot of the world) and Frederick, Md. (again, just a delightful place), and has had all sorts of new people around him, some not so very nice. The kid seems to have adapted to new surroundings, whether by force or by choice. I'm not buying it.

I don't think its a black eye...but it shows a huge lapse in judgement in the recruitment process. Fran's recruiting needs to get better. Maybe a new assistant coach?

Latest posts