Howe: Thoughts & Observations from an Unfortunate Day in Iowa Athletics

Last yime you said the same thing. There was no ducussion.

Judgings means passing sentence. We all maked decisions of opinion everyday. He's a man with flaws like the rest of us.

You put it out he is good. Ik what? Never said bad. We sal know a good one when we see it.

Humility and self control come to mind. Thinking of others....

You judged him as good. What is it you see?
I'm not going to judge you, but it appears he said he was through with the debate. You keep your opinion, he shall keep his opinion. Debate means you are allowed to share your own opinion, not change others'. You've done that. Be respectful.

I figure we’re all flawed. But the feeling to me is that one acknowledges it more than the other. And one seems to have his ego more in check than the other.

Dolph just seems so much more sincere than Fran.

And fire Barta. Just gotta throw that in.

Hi Denver. I also live in Denver (Stapleton).

I agree we are all flawed. I think one thing that we all get wrong is that we can't look inside the hearts of others and judge intent. We are only guessing. All we have are their actions. In my OPINION, both Dolph and Fran have said stupid things in the course of their employment that make them and the University look dumb. I think they are both good men.

When most of us say dumb things at work, there may be consequences for that. It's not about free speech, actually. It's about an employer thinking "that's not cool" and they have the right to do that, whether we like that or not.

My take on the situation is this...

Dolph
Fran clearly is upset with him, but the irony of having passion, fire and a temper about Iowa basketball or your job but being upset when another has passion for the same things reflects poorly on him

Im getting tired of the narrative that doesnt allow for people to speak without fear of offending. Being offended isnt the worst thing that could happen to someone. In this case its CLEARLY his simple picture of a seemingly unstoppable larger than life figure. I would use beast and get hate mail from michael bolton, fabio and disney fans.

Fran

I don't have any problems with him. I think he's coaching well, recruiting well and has us in NCAA tournament form, in the discussion. I am not impressed with his constant complaining about the refs. I complain all game long to no one and i think he makes me look like a monk. How he isnt T'd up twice and gone by halftime every game is beyond me.

"Hey Fran, watch this!"
Love,
-Every big ten official

I'm not going to judge you, but it appears he said he was through with the debate. You keep your opinion, he shall keep his opinion. Debate means you are allowed to share your own opinion, not change others'. You've done that. Be respectful.

What ever proud. With others you rarely backoff.

Fran is a fair topic. We are not all lockstep on this. To some he's an embarassment. To others he's welcome fire. Many are in between.

Never once have I said he's a bad man. Actually have been in his much lesser paid and high profile shoes. It is really tough to coach your own kids period.

Based on your past I seriously doubt you've always backed off when someone said they are done. The best thing is just dont respond if you are done. Stating you are done is not always intended as a polite gesture, but is a backhanded slight.

I dont know tbe intention. If you as a public figure make a statement that someone is good or bad, back it up. Fran has smeared crap over the floor.

I personally was in favor of keeping Dolph. Though I thought he brought it on himself. Many think Fran was behind the suspension. I personally think he'd been warned.

I dint have the numbers but I'd say 40 percent here would like Fran gone. Likely at least a quarter would want him gone for his not good personsl qualities. Eventually Fran is going to cross the line.

If you are going to write FM is a good man, then back it up. I personally think most of us are in the middle. All have flaws. Fran is right there with most of us.

All of us could name public figures presented as good when there are issues. Izzo, Paterno, Nassar, Andusky, Im sure you can find people who think Iowas firmer famed assistant is a good guy. Then there were Knight supporters.

Frans tenure will end badly. Listen to his apology. He still doesnt get it.

Rob and I have similar histories. Things trigger him. Things trigger me. Rob at times brings that to his writing, fotums and socisl media. What Fran did and sometimes does is abusive at times in conferences and on the court. I did not say FM should be fired. I did not say he is bad. I dont get the coronation of good. I am positive he does good things.

Its not judging to call out Frans issues when they are abusive. Its fair to call out those overlooking those issues too.

The way I see it there is a severe lack of leadership at the U of I. A leadership vacuum. This is why it has been an absolute shitshow this past week and this starts at the top. Bruce Harreld was handpicked by Bruce Rastetter (Uncle Bruce), the President of the Board of Regents at the time, who has spent his entire career pushing Republican agendas and supporting Republican candidates. Read his bio, he is proud of this, but he also works in the shadows and has had some some ethical lapses himself with his agribusiness ventures. Rastetter did his best to circumvent the law re open meetings allowing him to place Harreld in the presidency at Iowa. Harreld a man who misrepresented his resume and career during our "search".

Harreld had NEVER been a university administrator. Of ANY kind. Think about that for a second. He worked as a business professor but most of his career was spent in corporate America before coming to Iowa. Pretty much common knowledge that Harreld was selected so he might find new sources of revenue and not make waves when funding was slashed to the state's three universities by a Republican controlled legislature. You know the anti-education party.

So everyone agrees that Barta's incompetence is obvious. Correct? Well don't expect Barta to be called to the mat anytime soon. Harreld isn't calling the shots. And even if he were what would he do?

And all you folks who like to blame liberals and the "PC" crowd for all of society's woes, specifically the suspension involving Dolph? Where was this "PC" mob calling for Dolph's head? There wasn't one.

Think about this. Those in power at the state level and at the U of I, those actually calling the shots, are NOT liberals. The Board of Regents is comprised of one democrat and five republicans.

You really think Bruce Rastetter was going to handpick a liberal president?
Great text.Power and Money Run Life.Hawk Sports a business.good text.Still win game with tough players next, and us move forward. Go Tough Hawk Players.

Hawkeyes trying to put black eyes behind them:

LINK

Being Irish isn't a race :)

race
[rās]
NOUN
a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
"we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then"
synonyms:
people · nation

I am Irish. If I wanted to, I could be offended by that comment. But I'm not. I guess I just spared barta.

I gotta say, Dolph won't be back next year if one Irish man or anyone who decides they want to be offended for Irish Men want to write a letter about Dolph's "Irish temper" comment.

He said he is going to be more careful but cant even finish the interview without saying something that someone can decide is offensive. That's not a knock on Dolph at all. That's just me saying the standard is impossible to meet now.

Everyone knew the King Kong comparison (that he admitted he uses all the time) was completely fine to use.....until it wasn't. Everyone knows Irish people give two shits about the temper stereotype....until one person does. If we are going to constantly move the goal posts on what's acceptable and what's not (which is fine if we do) cant we at least give people a day or so to adjust to the new rule that just got put into place?

I'm Irish.
Everyone is just to dam sensitive.
It's just stupid.
They are sensitive about what they deem as personal, but not anything of importance.
You want to be offended? There are many things that you should be offended about, the crappy health care, crimes against children, poverty, the destruction of our planet, the lack of parenting in the US, the fact our country's education system is falling behind.
But to be offended that someone calls Irish people hot tempered? No. Drunks? No.
Should we be mad and offended at Freud for his comments about the Irish? No.
How has society become so insecure in themselves that they allow the mere words or opinions of another to affect them so much?
For one thing, people talk all the friggin time. They never shut up and never listen anyway. What do they flap on and on about? Perceptions and opinions. Well la te da. Everyone has them, most are full of crap anyway so big deal.
In other words, if you are going to take anyone's words to heart like that, then I assume you also take to heart how to raise your kids, vote, how to invest.....
Grow up. Be a man (or woman), and if you need to tell someone they are a cheating MF, so be it, call it how it is. Just try and be right when you do.

I don't like the way Dolphin was treated. I don't think it's only Dolphin that needs to grow from this experience. Those in charge should take lessons from this episode. We'll see if that happens.

What ever proud. With others you rarely backoff.

Fran is a fair topic. We are not all lockstep on this. To some he's an embarassment. To others he's welcome fire. Many are in between.

Never once have I said he's a bad man. Actually have been in his much lesser paid and high profile shoes. It is really tough to coach your own kids period.

Based on your past I seriously doubt you've always backed off when someone said they are done. The best thing is just dont respond if you are done. Stating you are done is not always intended as a polite gesture, but is a backhanded slight.

I dont know tbe intention. If you as a public figure make a statement that someone is good or bad, back it up. Fran has smeared crap over the floor.

I personally was in favor of keeping Dolph. Though I thought he brought it on himself. Many think Fran was behind the suspension. I personally think he'd been warned.

I dint have the numbers but I'd say 40 percent here would like Fran gone. Likely at least a quarter would want him gone for his not good personsl qualities. Eventually Fran is going to cross the line.

If you are going to write FM is a good man, then back it up. I personally think most of us are in the middle. All have flaws. Fran is right there with most of us.

All of us could name public figures presented as good when there are issues. Izzo, Paterno, Nassar, Andusky, Im sure you can find people who think Iowas firmer famed assistant is a good guy. Then there were Knight supporters.

Frans tenure will end badly. Listen to his apology. He still doesnt get it.

Rob and I have similar histories. Things trigger him. Things trigger me. Rob at times brings that to his writing, fotums and socisl media. What Fran did and sometimes does is abusive at times in conferences and on the court. I did not say FM should be fired. I did not say he is bad. I dont get the coronation of good. I am positive he does good things.

Its not judging to call out Frans issues when they are abusive. Its fair to call out those overlooking those issues too.

Dude, can you please just leave me alone? It's like you're stalking me.

We both were abused as children. That does not mean we have any type of connection or similar thought patterns.

There are plenty of other posters on here willing to engage in Dr. Phil/Cliff Clavin conversations you seem to enjoy. I don't enjoy it and am not interested in it.

And I'd appreciate it if you don't hijack another thread trying to engage me.

race
[rās]
NOUN
a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
"we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then"
synonyms:
people · nation

I am Irish. If I wanted to, I could be offended by that comment. But I'm not. I guess I just spared barta.
You would be wrong to be offended by it, not sure where you found that definition but it's wrong, race and ethnicity are not the same thing. Are you saying a black person of Irish heritage is of "Irish Race"?

You would be wrong to be offended by it, not sure where you found that definition but it's wrong, race and ethnicity are not the same thing. Are you saying a black person of Irish heritage is of "Irish Race"?

Ree4, not sure why you get to determine when I can or cannot be offended. And that was one of my points all through this whole thing.

I'm going to presume Merriam-Webster is a good enough source.

upload_2019-2-28_10-28-34.png

Ree4, not sure why you get to determine when I can or cannot be offended. And that was one of my points all through this whole thing.

I'm going to presume Merriam-Webster is a good enough source.

View attachment 5106
Interesting, that seems to be one of the very few that lists "nation" as race. Guess I'm of German race, not Caucasian.

Hi Denver. I also live in Denver (Stapleton).

I agree we are all flawed. I think one thing that we all get wrong is that we can't look inside the hearts of others and judge intent. We are only guessing. All we have are their actions. In my OPINION, both Dolph and Fran have said stupid things in the course of their employment that make them and the University look dumb. I think they are both good men.

When most of us say dumb things at work, there may be consequences for that. It's not about free speech, actually. It's about an employer thinking "that's not cool" and they have the right to do that, whether we like that or not.

It's a teensy bit different when you're job is literally to speak opinions publicly. Yes an employer has the right to determine if they accept anything you say or do, but one would expect a slight amount of leeway on gray area issues when you constantly put yourself in front of the train. I'm not speaking about the comment itself only that it would be reasonable to assume that you would have some benefit of doubt on an in-between comment.

There is also a true and present correlation to the shifting paradigm of what free speech actually grants. There was a time in which the first amendment, rightly or wrongly, afforded the honor of saying whatever you thought or felt with little to no tangible repercussion personal or professional. The first amendment is nowhere near as broad in this day and age. Good or bad it is merely an observation. I will also add that it is not necessarily wholesale. I'm sure if one looked hard enough they could find scattered scenarios that have not matched the trend.

Dude, can you please just leave me alone? It's like you're stalking me.

We both were abused as children. That does not mean we have any type of connection or similar thought patterns.

There are plenty of other posters on here willing to engage in Dr. Phil/Cliff Clavin conversations you seem to enjoy. I don't enjoy it and am not interested in it.

And I'd appreciate it if you don't hijack another thread trying to engage me.

The question about what you wrote is a fair question and on topic. I wasnt rude. Your snark about my question wasn't needed. To put in plain terms rather than Phil....your comeback wasnt needed and rude. We disagree about whether a person who shouts MF outloyd and makes aggressive moves at officials is good.

We can agree to put this one aside. Done.

Have a nice day.

The question about what you wrote is a fair question and on topic. I wasnt rude. Your snark about my question wasn't needed. To put in plain terms rather than Phil....your comeback wasnt needed and rude. We disagree about whether a person who shouts MF outloyd and makes aggressive moves at officials is good.

We can agree to put this one aside. Done.

Have a nice day.

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 3.03.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 3.03.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 3.03.58 PM.png

You're respectful, may ass.

I don't like you and I have plenty reason not to.

I don't want to hear from you again on here. If I see you responding to one of my posts again, you will be gone. Do your creepy stalking in private. I don't want to see it.

Latest posts