Howe: Thoughts & Observations from an Unfortunate Day in Iowa Athletics

My take on the situation is this...

Dolph
Fran clearly is upset with him, but the irony of having passion, fire and a temper about Iowa basketball or your job but being upset when another has passion for the same things reflects poorly on him

Im getting tired of the narrative that doesnt allow for people to speak without fear of offending. Being offended isnt the worst thing that could happen to someone. In this case its CLEARLY his simple picture of a seemingly unstoppable larger than life figure. I would use beast and get hate mail from michael bolton, fabio and disney fans.

Fran

I don't have any problems with him. I think he's coaching well, recruiting well and has us in NCAA tournament form, in the discussion. I am not impressed with his constant complaining about the refs. I complain all game long to no one and i think he makes me look like a monk. How he isnt T'd up twice and gone by halftime every game is beyond me.

"Hey Fran, watch this!"
Love,
-Every big ten official

"Being offended isn't the worst thing in the world". That sentence instantly made me see a whole nother angle I already knew deep down but had never thought about. For some reason, we have gotten to the point where offending someone and being a racist are the same thing. Because of that, when you talk to someone who is easily offended, there is a better chance that you are about to be labeled a racist. It used to be that if you talk to thousands of people on the air for decades, you will eventually offend someone. Now its if you talk to thousands of people for decades, you will eventually be a racist. All because we decided to knock down the wall between offensive and racist.

Interesting, that seems to be one of the very few that lists "nation" as race. Guess I'm of German race, not Caucasian.
If you look up the origin and actual meaning of Caucasian you probably aren't one of those either. As a matter of fact unconscious bias is just another BS word for stereotype...good and bad it's part of our DNA it's instinctual. Flame burned me, flame hot, next time I see flame I know not to stick my hand in it. I had 32 and me do my genetic makeup so what am I:

91.1% European (76.7% Italian, 9.1% Southern European, 5% Balkan)
7.3% Western Asia, Middle Eastern & North African

I'm hardly Caucasian and actually probably not any closer than some who identify as African American yet EVERYONE paints me as a WASP...I've been called Dago, Guinea and WOP more times than I can count. Don't get me wrong stamping out BIGOTS is a moral imperative they are race bullies and Americans should NOT tolerate that behavior at all period. Sorry but everyone is not a victim of everyone's hate it just ain't so. And you know what ANYONE regardless of skin color can be a bigot. I'm genuinely worn out with all this crap.

If you look up the origin and actual meaning of Caucasian you probably aren't one of those either. As a matter of fact unconscious bias is just another BS word for stereotype...good and bad it's part of our DNA it's instinctual. Flame burned me, flame hot, next time I see flame I know not to stick my hand in it. I had 32 and me do my genetic makeup so what am I:

91.1% European (76.7% Italian, 9.1% Southern European, 5% Balkan)
7.3% Western Asia, Middle Eastern & North African

I'm hardly Caucasian and actually probably not any closer than some who identify as African American yet EVERYONE paints me as a WASP...I've been called Dago, Guinea and WOP more times than I can count. Don't get me wrong stamping out BIGOTS is a moral imperative they are race bullies and Americans should NOT tolerate that behavior at all period. Sorry but everyone is not a victim of everyone's hate it just ain't so. And you know what ANYONE regardless of skin color can be a bigot. I'm genuinely worn out with all this crap.

Does it bother you when people call you those things? Honest question.

What ever proud. With others you rarely backoff.

Fran is a fair topic. We are not all lockstep on this. To some he's an embarassment. To others he's welcome fire. Many are in between.

Never once have I said he's a bad man. Actually have been in his much lesser paid and high profile shoes. It is really tough to coach your own kids period.

Based on your past I seriously doubt you've always backed off when someone said they are done. The best thing is just dont respond if you are done. Stating you are done is not always intended as a polite gesture, but is a backhanded slight.

I dont know tbe intention. If you as a public figure make a statement that someone is good or bad, back it up. Fran has smeared crap over the floor.

I personally was in favor of keeping Dolph. Though I thought he brought it on himself. Many think Fran was behind the suspension. I personally think he'd been warned.

I dint have the numbers but I'd say 40 percent here would like Fran gone. Likely at least a quarter would want him gone for his not good personsl qualities. Eventually Fran is going to cross the line.

If you are going to write FM is a good man, then back it up. I personally think most of us are in the middle. All have flaws. Fran is right there with most of us.

All of us could name public figures presented as good when there are issues. Izzo, Paterno, Nassar, Andusky, Im sure you can find people who think Iowas firmer famed assistant is a good guy. Then there were Knight supporters.

Frans tenure will end badly. Listen to his apology. He still doesnt get it.

Rob and I have similar histories. Things trigger him. Things trigger me. Rob at times brings that to his writing, fotums and socisl media. What Fran did and sometimes does is abusive at times in conferences and on the court. I did not say FM should be fired. I did not say he is bad. I dont get the coronation of good. I am positive he does good things.

Its not judging to call out Frans issues when they are abusive. Its fair to call out those overlooking those issues too.
He clearly stated he wasnt interested. Have some respect. You are correct. However, if im feeling chippy and someone wants to exacerbate their feelings of ineptitude, i will oblige. If someone says, im not interested in debating you, its over. I dont feel the need to change someone's opinion or press them to the point of being a jerk. I'll be a jerk in a welcomed war of words, but he was clearly telling you he wasnt interested. Call it like i see it. If you see me forcing someone or harassing someone into a debate sometime, you let me know. I'll admit guilt and stop. I doubt that you will see that happen.

race
[rās]
NOUN
a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
"we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then"
synonyms:
people · nation

I am Irish. If I wanted to, I could be offended by that comment. But I'm not. I guess I just spared barta.

Where in Ireland were you born? I didn't realize so many Irish people were still immigrating to Iowa. I'm even more surprised they're basketball fans and so many have joined this message board. What was the culture shock like after you moved here from Europe? Do you miss Universal Healthcare? What are your thoughts on Brexit?

BIGOTS bother me, people who are bigots and throw the moniker on others who may or may not be bother me. Also, for years now I have not called an Italian friend or family member one of those terms because I see African Americans doing the equivalent of that to each other and I think after all these years THAT practice is tragic. So, yeah I think the answer to your question is yes because no one can know what the motive or intent is for sure.

I also do believe in today's age you just cannot use those terms. I do not believe GD meant a damn thing or was actually calling Fernando King Kong he used the term to refer to Fernando's domination on that last tip in..the piece that got GD in trouble were factors outside his control. And yes I do understand the historically racially motivated underpinnings of all this but we are just character asassinating everyone and everything.

Latest posts