Howe: Sad to See the End of Iowa Playing Drake, UNI

I used to think that way, but lately I've started coming to the conclusion that ISU may be our toughest OOC game on the schedule. Would we really replace them with a team with a pulse?
With Barta at the helm....probably not. But, the Clowns are going to look like the best non-conference game when we stack them up against nobody university to round out our non-conference schedule. I will give you, they a looked better with Campbell, but I would still like to replace them with somebody else. Notre Dame, PAC-10 school, etc.

That's factually not true FWIW. Iowa and UNI both have 7 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years, with both of them having 1 Sweet 16. Iowa actually has more tourney wins in that time span as well. FWIW. I get what you mean tho, they are a much smaller school and Iowa should be WAY better.
And if you go 19 years instead of 20, then UNI has more tourney wins than Iowa and more Sweet Sixteens.

The 20 number is arbitrary, especially when it clips the very tail end of Davis. Probably better to pick coaching eras. I'd argue that UNI is the better team under the McDermott/Jacobsen era than Iowa has been under the Fraud/Lick/Fran era. They're by far better when you consider the money and recruiting they have to work with.

And if you go 19 years instead of 20, then UNI has more tourney wins than Iowa and more Sweet Sixteens.

The 20 number is arbitrary, especially when it clips the very tail end of Davis. Probably better to pick coaching eras. I'd argue that UNI is the better team under the McDermott/Jacobsen era than Iowa has been under the Fraud/Lick/Fran era. They're by far better when you consider the money and recruiting they have to work with.

I think I all but said that I agreed with the OP's point he was trying to get across, and that it was more alarming because of who Iowa is and who UNI is. UNI has been a better than average Mid Major, Iowa has been a bad P5 team. But what he said was no where near factual by the #'s and that's why I pointed it out. You just can't say that it's "Leaps and Bounds" a better program. 20 is an arbitrary # - but you can't even say they've been "leaps and bounds" better in the last 5 years. The last 2 years? The last 3 years. I think UNI has a nice program, I think Jacobsen is a good coach, but slow down on the hyperbole, it's starting to sound like Fran on a media day up in here.

I dont know all the politics behind it, but I'm not sure why Iowa doesn't invite Drake and UNI to play in Carver every single year. Seems a lot better for the team and the state than playing whatever the hell Bryant and Savannah State are.

I dont know all the politics behind it, but I'm not sure why Iowa doesn't invite Drake and UNI to play in Carver every single year. Seems a lot better for the team and the state than playing whatever the hell Bryant and Savannah State are.

I don't know the answer, because up until this year, they've either played or had this BS classic thing, but have they said that they won't be doing that moving forward? I think it would be great to play Drake and UNI every year, but only at home. Going to their places is a not really a win situation for Iowa. They hold all cards here IMO and Drake and UNI will eventually cave to that because all their alum and fans want to see that game I would imagine.

I don't know the answer, because up until this year, they've either played or had this BS classic thing, but have they said that they won't be doing that moving forward? I think it would be great to play Drake and UNI every year, but only at home. Going to their places is a not really a win situation for Iowa. They hold all cards here IMO and Drake and UNI will eventually cave to that because all their alum and fans want to see that game I would imagine.

yeah my guess is that UNI or Drake want a home and home or something and there's no way Iowa or Iowa State should give in to that.

Still I didn't understand Fran's quote about the new NET rankings. Youd think the NET rankings would prefer neutral court wins vs an MVC school rather than a home game stomping of Western Carolina.

I think I all but said that I agreed with the OP's point he was trying to get across, and that it was more alarming because of who Iowa is and who UNI is. UNI has been a better than average Mid Major, Iowa has been a bad P5 team. But what he said was no where near factual by the #'s and that's why I pointed it out. You just can't say that it's "Leaps and Bounds" a better program. 20 is an arbitrary # - but you can't even say they've been "leaps and bounds" better in the last 5 years. The last 2 years? The last 3 years. I think UNI has a nice program, I think Jacobsen is a good coach, but slow down on the hyperbole, it's starting to sound like Fran on a media day up in here.
Show me where I said “leaps and bounds” better.

Or where I was being hyperbolic (in this thread).

You’re getting your undies bunches over nothing. All I was doing was showing how a simple thing like the point in time you picked skews your conclusion without context.

If you were to compare coaching eras for instance, you don’t need to give context.

If it is such a great thing for the state maybe they should broadcast on something other than Mediacom.

I would agree that not securing TV rights for both games for the state and region is a fail. But, all these schools have their own TV deals, particularly Iowa with the BTN.

If you can watch or go, check back here tonight. I'll be there with full coverage. :)

Okay only because of 1999 I forgot about that year.

Moreover UNI has been invited 7 times since 00 and have 4 wins, Iowa only 5 plus a "play in game year" with 3 wins.

People remember UNI for beating Kansas, What are we remembered for?? Northwestern State :mad::confused:

I remember UNI for blowing a huge lead in the final minute and losing in OT against aTm. It was glorious.

Because UNI and their annoying fans think they deserve a home and home.

Hopefully it won't be basketball's version of Drake vs. ISU football ......for UNI's departing hurrah in the series.

I root for UNI very game other than when they play Iowa. I like that they fill their roster with mostly Iowa kids. The reason that the Iowa UNI game means something and I think is good for the state is because it's mutually beneficial. UNI gets the TV exposure and Iowa gets the sold out game revenue if it's in Carver. I think it also is in some ways a bigger deal for the Iowa players because so many of them are from Iowa currently and playing against other iowa kids and getting the bragging rights if you win is fun as a player. I hope UNI sees that having the TV exposure and playing a P5 team would be beneficial for them even if they don't get a home game every other year.

I would agree that not securing TV rights for both games for the state and region is a fail. But, all these schools have their own TV deals, particularly Iowa with the BTN.

If you can’t watch or go, check back here tonight. I'll be there with full coverage. :)

Checking in. Brutal

Playing UNI and Drake on a neutral home floor is better for Iowa and ISU than playing #339 NET ranked West Cental Wyoming A&M in a home game.

Drake's Nick Norton (graduate transfer) is former Hawkeye Randy Norton's son. He was recruited and signed with Creighton at one point and went to UAB. Had 11 points, 6 rebounds and 10 assists against ISU.

Latest posts