Howe: Sad to See the End of Iowa Playing Drake, UNI

Show me where I said “leaps and bounds” better.

Or where I was being hyperbolic (in this thread).

You’re getting your undies bunches over nothing. All I was doing was showing how a simple thing like the point in time you picked skews your conclusion without context.

If you were to compare coaching eras for instance, you don’t need to give context.
You didn’t say that, the OP did and you injected yourself into the conversation. Read sometime instead of just posting

Drake's Nick Norton (graduate transfer) is former Hawkeye Randy Norton's son. He was recruited and signed with Creighton at one point and went to UAB. Had 11 points, 6 rebounds and 10 assists against ISU.
Didn't Randy play in the Evashevski era? He would have been near Mick Jagger age when he fathered Nick.

You could be right, but I wonder if it's his grandson. Randy did have a son Brock who played at Dubuque Hempstead in the late eighties and would be at a more appropriate age to be Nick's father.

Or is that the Randy Norton who played for Lute in the Ronnie Lester era? That would make more sense. In fact it does. I confused Randy Norton with football player Don Norton. Brock was Don's son. Carry on.:)

Didn't Randy play in the Evashevski era? He would have been near Mick Jagger age when he fathered Nick.

You could be right, but I wonder if it's his grandson. Randy did have a son Brock who played at Dubuque Hempstead in the late eighties and would be at a more appropriate age to be Nick's father.

Or is that the Randy Norton who played for Lute in the Ronnie Lester era? That would make more sense. In fact it does. I confused Randy Norton with football player Don Norton. Brock was Don's son. Carry on.:)

Lute and the BB team. Nick was being highly recruited until he hurt his knee in hs. He did it again in college. He is listedcat 5 10 but doubt he is that tall. He was a scoring and assist machine in hs. His team finished 4th in conference and won a state title. That conference had Bates Diopp and others. One kid was recruited by Iowa but they seemed to favor Pem over that kid. Norton aside from being quick had tremendous court sense.

Norton can shoot, rebound and drive. He is a big reason for Drake success early. Started 3 years for UAB. Never saw Iowa being interested in him.

Gary Barta apparently said that Iowa would no longer play Drake and UNI because he said his program needs to do what’s in its interest to win championships.

Don’t piss on me and tell me it’s raining.
That is the penultimate dumbassery statement by Barta.

Just be a man and say you are afraid to play Drake and UNI anywhere except for Carver. Those two have absolutely nothing to do with Iowa MBB winning championships, dumbass.

This, throwing Dolph under the bus, and burying Fran’s contract last season are the last thin straws for me ...

Barta’s dumbassery just forced me onto the fire Barta bandwagon. Others were right about him; I was on the fence and didn’t care either way.

They were right all along — maybe for different reasons, but I was wrong.

Barta and his dumbassery has to go.

Gary Barta apparently said that Iowa would no longer play Drake and UNI because he said his program needs to do what’s in its interest to win championships.

Just be a man and say you are afraid to play Drake and UNI anywhere except for Carver. Those two have absolutely nothing to do with Iowa MBB winning championships, dumbass.

This, throwing Dolph under the bus, and burying Fran’s contract last season are the last thin straws for me ...

Barta’s dumbassery just forced me onto the fire Barta bandwagon. Others were right about him; I was on the fence and didn’t care either way.

So what do you propose aside from throwing a fit?

So what do you propose aside from throwing a fit?
I’d kick your ass again but I’m bored with that after a dozen times. I’d think you’d be bored with it by now.

But some people love negative attention so, I get it.

I’d kick your ass again but I’m bored with that after a dozen times. I’d think you’d be bored with it by now.

But some people love negative attention so, I get it.

Not really. Just curious what "being done" means. That's all. Quiet the paranoids.

I would take an even more arrogant stance with them. If we had to play them, it would be once every three years and only at Kinnick. Why do them any financial favors playing in Ames. Historically we own this series, it is a non-conference game, so we should be able to decide what we want to do with it. I think we can do so much better nationally be scheduling someone other than Iowa St every year.

Do you think it's still 1992? There is now way ISU would agree to that nor should they. Plus, I'd point out that playing Iowa isn't the financial windfall you make it out to be.

Playing UNI and Drake on a neutral home floor is better for Iowa and ISU than playing #339 NET ranked West Cental Wyoming A&M in a home game.
Playing these 2 teams on our home court is also better than #339. But neither wants to do it. Both are mid majors and must do what mid majors do...play road games and get paid. Iowa doesn't owe these 2 teams anything IMO. I would have a problem with playing another mid major over Drake or UNI in Carver. But they don't want that so it's not an issue.

There's no upside to playing either team anywhere but Carver. This is true whether it's said by Fran, Barta, a fan or a casual observer that doesn't care one way or the other. I'm not sticking up for Barta. I'm simply making an objective observation.

I don't get the outrage over not playing UNI and Drake? I personally don't give a shit at all. Being forced to play one of these schools every year on a neutral court is just an unnecessary hassle.

If UNI or Drake wanted to come to Iowa City every once in awhile, sure lets do it. But to have a mandatory game in Des Moines every year for the "good of basketball in the state of Iowa"? Consider me a huge "meh".

Offer the 2 for 1 home and home deal to both UNI and Drake and keep it on the table until they accept it. Drake would probably jump at the chance right away. Ben J would probably still say no unless UNI continues to still struggle as a program.

Offer the 2 for 1 home and home deal to both UNI and Drake and keep it on the table until they accept it. Drake would probably jump at the chance right away. Ben J would probably still say no unless UNI continues to still struggle as a program.

I'd offer them the same deal that Savannah st and Bryant get: Come to Iowa City, play us, take your money....or don't....we don't care

That's factually not true FWIW. Iowa and UNI both have 7 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years, with both of them having 1 Sweet 16. Iowa actually has more tourney wins in that time span as well. FWIW. I get what you mean tho, they are a much smaller school and Iowa should be WAY better.

In what way do you mean "smaller school"? Enrollment? UNI's enrollment this fall was 11,212. (Iowa's is 24,503) Just to be clear, here are some enrollment figures for the current year for a few well-known P5 schools: Duke 6,692; Northwestern 8.278; Stanford 7,062; TCU 9,445; Vanderbilt 6,885; Notre Dame 8,576. These schools are smaller than Iowa or UNI in enrollment, but arguably are all as large or larger than the University of Iowa in national recognition.

Before we say "smaller school" we have to determine what it is we are talking about.

There's no upside to playing either team anywhere but Carver. This is true whether it's said by Fran, Barta, a fan or a casual observer that doesn't care one way or the other. I'm not sticking up for Barta. I'm simply making an objective observation.
I understand that view; I don’t think it’s correct. Playing Drake/UNI on a neutral floor when their rankings are well above the sub-250 ranked teams that Fran schedules at Carver is absolutely an upside. I don’t see how that can be argued.

Put aside that entire situation, right or wrong, that is not why Barta said the series was cancelled. He said it was cancelled so his program can win championships.

Anyone buying that reasoning? Anyone?

In what way do you mean "smaller school"? Enrollment? UNI's enrollment this fall was 11,212. (Iowa's is 24,503) Just to be clear, here are some enrollment figures for the current year for a few well-known P5 schools: Duke 6,692; Northwestern 8.278; Stanford 7,062; TCU 9,445; Vanderbilt 6,885; Notre Dame 8,576. These schools are smaller than Iowa or UNI in enrollment, but arguably are all as large or larger than the University of Iowa in national recognition.

Before we say "smaller school" we have to determine what it is we are talking about.

I think it's fair to assume that the use of the term "smaller school" when talking collegiate sports is normally in reference to the program's national relevance in said sport and not it's enrollment size. Otherwise Central Florida, Florida International, and South Florida would be considered national powers. ;)

Would love to hear him elaborate on this... So when does getting another game at Carver against the OOC opponents we continue to schedule qualify as preparing a program to win championships. If he really wants to win a championship (conference or national) try scheduling a home and home with a program that, I don't know, has won championships.

I apologize in advance to the Western Carolina's, Savannah States, and Bryant's of the world, who have proven year in and year out that they are exactly the programs Gary is referring to when make a statement such as this. Nothing says season defining win the a victory on your home floor over any of these powerhouses.

What’s “funny” is I didn’t say “being done”.

Use your reading glasses.

OK, I'll play. What does being on the fire Barta wagon entail? What are the minimum requirements to board? I have to admit, your vocabulary is impressive. Bumassery.

Latest posts