Howe: It’s Brian Ferentz’s Time to Be Iowa’s Offensive Coordinator

It's great for Brian. He's going to get his big shot hope it works. If Kirk was REALLY interested in bringing in new thinking on offense he would've done it when KOK left he didn't we should have all known what the ultimate plan was and now is. He's hoping to continue to win 7 by beating MAC midgets and UNI so nobody can bitch and then he is hoping that Barta stays around long enough to replace himself with Brian should he do a good job. It's pretty simple actually.

I could go along with this. Young guy like Brian isn't going to want shatty offense after shatty offense, it would kill his future in the ranks.
Another reason to go for Brian instead of a retread is this. I remember back when I'd heard Hayden Fry talking about his coaching tree years after it'd grown the way it had. He'd said the key for him hiring assistants was that he wanted coaches under him that were hungry and wanted to be head coaches themselves. Davis wasn't that. Philbin couldn't be described as that at this point. Not seriously anyway. Going with a guy like Brian makes sense on so many levels. I'd rather see Iowa swing for the fences like that then go with a retread just because he's got 'experience' Going after a Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, Philbin, just would be guys hanging on to cash checks. They'd have little skin in the game. Brian grew up in Iowa City. Graduated a Hawkeye. He's as motivated more so than any retreaded name that can be thrown out there. I think his hiring could be the step towards a new great chapter in Hawkeye Football

I know this is an outside shot, but what about Chuck Long as the QB coach/OC?? I know he has the BTN gig and stuff, but why isn't he even a potential candidate?
Chuck was an all time great as a player. Iv'e met Chuck he's a great guy but his stint at SDSU and KU as offensive coordinator were absolutely terrible. Not sure he's got the really good coaching gene.

Do you believe someone will come in and change KF's basic offensive philosophy?

No, and his son has no business being the OC. What the hell has he done? Daddy got him a job with Belichek and the Pats. Wow. KF needs to go. He can't recruit, his son can't recruit, and that is where it all begins. Talent. You trot out a bunch of 2 stars and walk ons at WR and it doesn't matter what schemes you run. This was the plan all along though. Daddy could get his kid in there as OC as soon as Davis retired, then groom him to be the head coach when he finally retires. What a joke this program has become.

We can agree to disagree. I like Raih and think he'd be a good QB coach. But I think Brian has more experience and is better suited for the position right now.
More experience? What experience does he have as an OC. None. What major university is going to hire an OC that has no experience as an OC anywhere? KF has some major ball
Brian is the best fit for Kirk and stands the best chance to tweak the head coach's philosophy. KF is here for the foreseeable future. You run the risk of another GD situation if you go that route.

How is he the best fit? Have you seen him as OC somewhere we don't know about? He hasn't called a play, coached a qb, etc. anywhere, but you think he is the best fit? Hilarious.

Interesting discussion. Lots of smoke, but little fire.

First, the basic offensive philosophy at Iowa is not going to change, and in fact, should not. The pro set, play action offense is run by some of the best in the land. See Alabama; our nemesis, Wisconsin; Michigan State, Michigan, largely by OSU. Must I go on?

Secondly, you can sit around and whine all you want: KF is going nowhere. He will retire at Iowa, either at the end of this contract period or sooner, if he so decides. The contract he has, was given approval not only by Barta, but in effect, by the new President of the University and the Board of Directors, in absentia. You are indeed naïve if you think otherwise. And, to cap it off, the powerful big donor alumni group approved the contract, informally, but powerfully. So, quit wasting your time bitching about KF and his long term contract.

Third, there are some good arguments about whether to hire Brian or to go outside the system. If Brian ends up as the O coordinator, I would expect that the positions available to assist him would be filled with guys that know how to coach receivers and the QB position, putting Brian in the true "coordinator" role. He has likely been around the program long enough to oversee the Iowa offense. And, importantly, he can stand up and be counted with his dad like no one else. He is a known quantity. In this world, especially in business, it seems that promotions from within are more the rule than the exception. Known quantities.

Fourth, imagine the pressure KF would face by placing his kid in this position. No, not the nonsense about hiring family...that ship has sailed. I mean that if Brian would fail, KF would have signed his son's death warrant in terms of Brian's future as a power 5 head coach. If that is not enough reason for KF to listen to Brian when it comes to upgrading the O, then I do not understand human nature and the impact of family. Think about it.

Finally, yeah. There are some other very good candidates who MAY be interested in the Iowa position. On paper, Greg Davis looked pretty good. Read his resume' in the current media outlets. And, remember, it may have gone down like this: GB: "Kirk, we need to make some serious adjustments to our offensive scheme. We have given Greg five years and things are just not working out. You need to tell him to retire; and, your next hire is important for your legacy, as well as for the good of the program. So, get it right." For you doubters, if you don't think the AD will tell the head coach who reports to him what the stakes are, you are naïve at best.

Just my thoughts. I mean no offense, and have already said I won't waste my time bashing Greg Davis. I also won't waste my time bashing Kirk Ferentz.

Although I don't think much of anything will change drastically as long as Kirk is coach, I think Kirk would be wise to hire a dynamic and wide open offense coordinator. He needs to get the best person for the job. I hope others will truly be considered.

I seriously fear that some on here are literally too ****ing stupid to wipe their own ass. What the hell do you think gets a guy a OC job, you freaking dolts? Urban Meyer started out with DB, then OLB, then QB and WR. Saban coached LB, OLB, DB and then was a DC. Tom Herman coached WR, ST, QB and was a OC. Kiffin only coached WR and TE before becoming a OC.

Saying that Brain isn't qualified even though he has coached TE and OL, and has been running game OC is beyond stupid. That is the path most take. A couple position jobs and then the talented guys move up to OC/DC. What you dumb asses will never understand because you have never hired people, is you look for talent. Long ass resume that say welp, I got all the experience, but nobody has taken a shot on my to be a OC yet, aren't what you want. You look for young, talented and hungry people, those are the ones who excel.

Now I'm NOT saying Brian is some slam dunk will be great. I'm just saying he is more than qualified, and actually if KF went out and hired some younger guy with less experience, I am all for that as well. Hire talented guys, that is what you need to be doing, that is what Hayden did, and that is why Hayden was great. I can't believe that the dumbasses on here that hate KF, want him to hire some stale ass boring guy with 100 years experience in order to say they are "qualified".

No, and his son has no business being the OC. What the hell has he done? Daddy got him a job with Belichek and the Pats. Wow. KF needs to go. He can't recruit, his son can't recruit, and that is where it all begins. Talent. You trot out a bunch of 2 stars and walk ons at WR and it doesn't matter what schemes you run. This was the plan all along though. Daddy could get his kid in there as OC as soon as Davis retired, then groom him to be the head coach when he finally retires. What a joke this program has become.
CANNOT DISAGREE.BUT REMEMBER SCHOOL WANTS MONEY AND THEN SQUEAKY CLEAN IMAGE."FERENTZ "BRAND" POWER AND MONEY SEEM TO BE QUITE POPULAR WITH PEOPLE.WINS ONLY FANS LIKE THOSE. POWER AND MONEY QUITE POPULAR NO? STILL BB FUN TO WATCH TOUGH AND GETTING BETTER.

I am thinking just the opposite, he is one guy that can say "eff the old man" and still keep his job. He wouldn't have free reign, but he will have latitude other guys simply wouldn't have.
This. Anyone else would cowtow to KF's wishes to run a more conservative offense and let the D win the games. Brian might be the only one able to override Kirk at crucial times in games.

I like the idea of BF. I am holding out hope that he can keep the same philosophy but adjust it to personnel and make the passing game actually compliment the running game instead of what we have seen the last 5 years.

It wouldn't take much to take our philosophy and make it into a Wisconsin/Michigan type of offense. Remember that BF is good friend with O'Brien, and worked with him at New England when he was the OC. O'Brien did well at Penn St. with a pro style with Hackenberg at QB, and Franklin could do shat with Hackenberg at QB.

There a lots of good pro style offenses out there, we just didn't have one under Greg Davis.

It's a great move for those of us who want KF gone. I can guarantee if this happens and next year isn't an immeasurable success, both will be hitting the unemployment line come Jan 2018
Haha A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. KF is GUARANTEED to be here for 9 yrs.

Latest posts