Howe: It’s Brian Ferentz’s Time to Be Iowa’s Offensive Coordinator

So our logic is this:

Our head coach is very involved with the offense. So much so that he doesn't mesh with most offensive coordinators. Said head coach has historically coached offenses well below average who have been carried by their defense. The best answer is to let his son coach the offense because at least he understands the head coach.

Hmmm isn't it easy to see where the problem is?...

Edit: but yes I see the logic. As long as KF is here BF might be the best fit. Let's hope they can start recruiting better.

no, it is not time to usher in brian ferentz. are you saying that there is no one else on this planet that already has a high level of OC experience, and success at it, that would want to be the OC at Iowa? If so, then what does that say about being an OC for ferentz? If not, what does it say about nepotism? Isn't that against the law for university employees? being the son of the hc doesn't make you the heir apparent.

no, it is not time to usher in brian ferentz. are you saying that there is no one else on this planet that already has a high level of OC experience, and success at it, that would want to be the OC at Iowa? If so, then what does that say about being an OC for ferentz? If not, what does it say as nepotism? being the son of the hc doesn't make you the heir apparent.

I'm saying that Brian is the best choice to replace GD. I wrote 700 words explaining why I feel that way. It's my opinion.

What successful OC would want to come to a place where his hands are completely tied, but will still be the whipping boy if the offense sputters?

Rob - There is NO WAY that you could possibly think that Brain is the most qualified person for the job....the only way it could be a good thing, is if the experiment fails and thus eliminates any and ALL talk of him ever becoming HC.

BTW, it will not matter who the OC is until Ferments and others quit settling for Iowa preps, and MAC rejects at WR.

I'm saying that Brian is the best choice to replace GD. I wrote 700 words explaining why I feel that way. It's my opinion.

I'm not sure how many words i wrote, but i gave my opinion. to me, this is just the next step in kirk crowning brian the next hc at iowa in 4 years or less. kirk will retire as soon as he passes Fry in total wins, if he can get brian the hc job.

admittedly, i didn't read your article, but i don't need to. has brian ever outlined his offensive philosophy? does he have his own offense written down somewhere with plays and blocking schemes and things like that? or, will brian learn from kirk? what will our offense look like? would brian use GD's offense?

Brian is the best fit for Kirk and stands the best chance to tweak the head coach's philosophy. KF is here for the foreseeable future. You run the risk of another GD situation if you go that route.

I am thinking just the opposite, he is one guy that can say "eff the old man" and still keep his job. He wouldn't have free reign, but he will have latitude other guys simply wouldn't have.

Rob - There is NO WAY that you could possibly think that Brain is the most qualified person for the job....the only way it could be a good thing, is if the experiment fails and thus eliminates any and ALL talk of him ever becoming HC.

BTW, it will not matter who the OC is until Ferments and others quit settling for Iowa preps, and MAC rejects at WR.

Depends on how you are defining "qualified." I think he is the best fit with the best chance to affect changes necessary for the offense to move forward. That's what I wrote about.

I'm not sure how many words i wrote, but i gave my opinion. to me, this is just the next step in kirk crowning brian the next hc at iowa in 4 years or less. kirk will retire as soon as he passes Fry in total wins, if he can get brian the hc job.

admittedly, i didn't read your article, but i don't need to. has brian ever outlined his offensive philosophy? does he have his own offense written down somewhere with plays and blocking schemes and things like that? or, will brian learn from kirk? what will our offense look like? would brian use GD's offense?

If they don't succeed, it's doubtful anybody on this staff will be "crowned." They have to win.

Saying that KF will retire after he passes Hayden and gets Brian the head coaching position is pure speculation. I have no idea if that's the case. Neither do you.

You asked questions in your previous post. That's why I pointed you to the column, in which I explained why I think Brian is the best choice to be the next OC.

I certainly didn't write it thinking everybody was going to agree. It's a column (opinion).

I think in the last 5 minutes, I've totally changed my mind....Ferments is the luckiest man on planet Earth, and I do not trust that he does not have one more smoke and mirrors trick left in him. If he is allowed to stay around long enough, smoke and mirrors trick Part III could happen....and if it does, he will acquire more good will....thus, he will retire, and be allowed to hand over the reigns to Brain. THEN, we are stuck with another failed Ferments family member that we will have to give 5 years minimum time.....maybe longer. Why maybe longer? "Because they will not want to hurt Dirks feelings....and also, because "That's not the way we do things at Iowa." Pfffffftttt!!!!!!!

So in conclusion, we need NEW blood with ZERO ties to Ferments!!!!

Last edited:
I think in the last 5 minutes, I've totally changed my mind....Ferments is the luckiest man on planet Earth, and I do not trust that he does not have one more smoke and mirrors trick left in him. If he is allowed to stay around long enough, smoke and mirrors trick Part III could happen....and if it does, he will acquire more good will....thus, he will retire, and hand over the reigns to Brain. THEN, we are stuck with another failed Ferments family member that we will have to give 5 years minimum time.....maybe longer. Why maybe longer? "Because they will not want to hurt Dirks feelings....and also, because "That's not the way we do things at Iowa." Pfffffftttt!!!!!!!

So in conclusion, we need NEW blood with ZERO ties to Ferments!!!!

Does it make you feel better not calling him by his actual name? Grow up. Everyone knows your intelligence level the second you said Ferentz is a failure.

With Greg Davis announcing his retirement Friday, it's time to usher in Brian Ferentz as offensive coordinator, writes HN Columnist Rob Howe:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/howe-brian-ferentzs-time-iowas-offensive-coordinator

I've lost respect for Howe making this dumb statement. There is no reason to believe BF would be successful at a new position OC. He has ZERO experience in that position. Keep him at what he has excelled at. Hire a stud OC from a smaller school. If Kirk hired his son and he was less than great he could/ would never fire him. Terrible position for head coach.

I've lost respect for Howe making this dumb statement. There is no reason to believe BF would be successful at a new position OC. He has ZERO experience in that position. Keep him at what he has excelled at. Hire a stud OC from a smaller school. If Kirk hired his son and he was less than great he could/ would never fire him. Terrible position for head coach.

I'm sure Rob is heartbroken.

It's a great move for those of us who want KF gone. I can guarantee if this happens and next year isn't an immeasurable success, both will be hitting the unemployment line come Jan 2018
Are you drunk? Kirk Ferentz isn't going anywhere until he decides to quit.

There are a whole bunch of multimillion dollar donors who have made it clear that Kirk is in this job as long as he wants it. Unless KF gets caught doing something illegal he's not going anywhere for several years

Brian became the OC in charge of running game in 15- the running game has been better the last 2 years by quit a bit in my opinion.

RobHowe, I don't know if Brian is or isn't qualified to be our next OC but I do know that KF needs to get this hire right. As bad as our offense has been it can only go up regardless who's making the calls.Hopefully we see a more balanced attack next year.

I second this post. Brian has done a pretty good job with the running game, could be better with pass blocking. Keep him where he's at, assuming he's staying. The OC job needs to be a national search and it needs to be an experienced guy. I'm still skeptical that any OC will have great success while subordinated to Kirk's constraints.

Honest question...

As a former OL as well as Oline coach, BF obviously understands the running game and has proven over the last two years that he's very accomplished in that area.

However, our pass blocking has been poor at best and downright awful at worst. In addition, I'm not aware of any experience or skill set he possesses in grooming QBs or in the passing game in general.

Given that, how is BF at all qualified to coordinate the passing portion of the offense?

I'd take David Raih or Joe Philbin over BF. Both have experience at Iowa, they both have a great pedigree, and have been around enough to have picked up a lot of different philosophies and great ideas to incorporate. BF is NOT the answer to fix the passing game.

Latest posts