Howe: It’s Brian Ferentz’s Time to Be Iowa’s Offensive Coordinator

Honest question...

As a former OL as well as Oline coach, BF obviously understands the running game and has proven over the last two years that he's very accomplished in that area.

However, our pass blocking has been poor at best and downright awful at worst. In addition, I'm not aware of any experience or skill set he possesses in grooming QBs or in the passing game in general.

Given that, how is BF at all qualified to coordinate the passing portion of the offense?

I'd take David Raih or Joe Philbin over BF. Both have experience at Iowa, they both have a great pedigree, and have been around enough to have picked up a lot of different philosophies and great ideas to incorporate. BF is NOT the answer to fix the passing game.

You honestly think Raih has more experience than Brian? Philbin I get, although I don't think he wants to be in college.

How in the world could anyone think Brian is ready for a D1, BigTen school Offensive Coordinator job?
To me, he is as qualified for that job as he would be for Defensive Coordinator.

Does he have playbook ready to go that he's been working on over his long illustrious career?
Is GD his mentor?
Way too many questions. And I don't like it,

I don't think it matters, Kirk Barta is going to hire Brian for the job. Done deal, unfortunately.

You honestly think Raih has more experience than Brian? Philbin I get, although I don't think he wants to be in college.

He has more experience in passing offense being a former QB as well as tutoring under perhaps the best college QB coach/passing genius in Skippy Neuhisal. Plus, he's currently coaching wide receivers right now in perhaps the most innovative passing offense in the NFL. So yeah, I'd say he has more offensive experience as it relates to the passing game than BF.

No offense Rob! :)

I'm going to speculate that most
He has more experience in passing offense being a former QB as well as tutoring under perhaps the best college QB coach/passing genius in Skippy Neuhisal. Plus, he coaching wide receivers right now in perhaps the most innovative passing offense in the NFL. So yeah, I'd say he has more offensive experience as it relates to the passing game than BF.

No offense Rob! :)

He's the assistant O-Line coach with the Packers.

You're right. I was thinking he was assistant WR coach with the Packers...but my comment still stands! :)

We can agree to disagree. I like Raih and think he'd be a good QB coach. But I think Brian has more experience and is better suited for the position right now.

Brian is the best fit for Kirk and stands the best chance to tweak the head coach's philosophy. KF is here for the foreseeable future. You run the risk of another GD situation if you go that route.

That's great. He's never called a play, coached a QB or coached a receiver in his life. But yes, let's promote to a Big 10 offensive coordinator job. I can't believe the stupidity I read at times.

Rob, you mentioned AJ Blazek as OL coach. Do you think Brian would be OC/OL coach? The past coordinators have coached positions. Just curious.

Also, Chad Leistikow mentioned a possible 10th assistant coach for D1 schools, but didn't say anything about whether or not it was happening this year. Do you know if it is coming next fall?

We can agree to disagree. I like Raih and think he'd be a good QB coach. But I think Brian has more experience and is better suited for the position right now.

We can agree to disagree that Brian is better suited for OC, but I don't think your comment about experience is correct. Raih has coached QBs and TEs at UCLA under Neuheisel, wide receivers at Texas Tech, and the OL at Green Bay under McCarthy. That is over an 8 year period. In addition, his story is pretty cool and fits in pretty well with Iowa's culture...

Brian would not be a good hire, IMO. We need an experienced OC, not someone who will be learning on the job. Someone who has head coaching aspirations and would be a dynamo recruiter. And Kirk should let this person do their job and not handcuff them (within reason, of course).

We don't need nepotism. If Kirk wants Brian to take over for him, then Brian needs to earn it.

We can agree to disagree that Brian is better suited for OC, but I don't think your comment about experience is correct. Raih has coached QBs and TEs at UCLA under Neuheisel, wide receivers at Texas Tech, and the OL at Green Bay under McCarthy. That is over an 8 year period. In addition, his story is pretty cool and fits in pretty well with Iowa's culture...

Raih was an intern for two years at UCLA. He spent a year at TT as a director of high school relations. He assisted Kingsbury as QB coach. He was promoted to WR coach just for bowl prep. Then he left for Green Bay where he was a coaching administrator until helping with the O-Line this year. He's never even been a position coach by himself.

Rob, you mentioned AJ Blazek as OL coach. Do you think Brian would be OC/OL coach? The past coordinators have coached positions. Just curious.

Also, Chad Leistikow mentioned a possible 10th assistant coach for D1 schools, but didn't say anything about whether or not it was happening this year. Do you know if it is coming next fall?

I believe another assistant is being added after next season. I could be off on that, though.

The last two OCs coached the QB, too. I could see Brian and Kirk splitting up OL duties (Kirk works a lot with the tackles already) and hiring a QB coach.

Bingo... I don't think it could be more of a no brainer either. Bringing Philbin in or someone like that to playcate to Kirk would very likely be Greg Davis 2.0 Brian can stand up to his Dad in ways outsiders can't or at least wouldn't. Brian clearly is opinionated, aggressive and wants to do well. He doesn't want to have the 120 something worse passing offense. He'll be aggressive in recruiting and everything. He'd be the jolt the program needs
I could go along with this. Young guy like Brian isn't going to want shatty offense after shatty offense, it would kill his future in the ranks.

I know this is an outside shot, but what about Chuck Long as the QB coach/OC?? I know he has the BTN gig and stuff, but why isn't he even a potential candidate?

Latest posts