Howe: It’s Brian Ferentz’s Time to Be Iowa’s Offensive Coordinator

I'm not sure what your point is. You say coordinators get tossed all the time and then you want to know if coaches that down win a National Title should get fired too? That's a big leap. I'm not saying KF should get fired for hiring GD. I'm saying our spineless AD never should have approved the hire in the first place. He should have looked KF square in the face and said, "do better".

So you want Barta making all the football decisions, and Barta should have vetoed an OC who had relatively recently been the OC for a national title team! That is LOL kinda funny right there.

ISU sucks regardless of era, you're comparing piles of dung. One is just a little bit bigger.(41% vs 32% winning percentage during KFz and Hayden tenures. That "7th win" came against the additional non-con opponent cupcake that came with a 12 game schedule in many cases) Also keep in mind when Hayden was hired ISU was the better program (in terms of Ws and Ls) He had plenty to do with their decline at the same time Iowa rose up.

Spin it anyway you want there's still no excuse for Kirks lousy performance against the clowns. It's the undeniable, perhaps defining, stain on his resume.

So in every year we beat ISU then your year is made! So this year you should have been ecstatic about the season!

So you want Barta making all the football decisions, and Barta should have vetoed an OC who had relatively recently been the OC for a national title team! That is LOL kinda funny right there.
Not at all. I want Barta to do his job and get on the phone with people familiar with GD's offenses at Texas, in order to make an informed decision. Because if he had done that, there's no wat he would have signed off on the hire. Either that or he is so incompetent at his job that he OK'd it anyway. Which I suppose is a 85-90% possibility. In which case the President of the University should start asking some questions.

And I can give you a list of Coordinators that have National Championship rings, sitting in either forced retirement or on the unemployment line. There's a reason why NOBODY offered Greg Davis a P-5 job for 2 years before KF needed a patsy.
Chuck Long has a NC ring........where is he coaching right now?

How in the world could anyone think Brian is ready for a D1, BigTen school Offensive Coordinator job?
To me, he is as qualified for that job as he would be for Defensive Coordinator.

Does he have playbook ready to go that he's been working on over his long illustrious career?
Is GD his mentor?
Way too many questions. And I don't like it,

In all honesty, Chuck Long had about the same experience as a DB coach and a QB coach before being named Oklahoma's OC and had them setting scoring records all over the place in a year. I'm not saying Brian would be that good, but he's got about the same position coach experience level as Chuck did then.

Todd Lickliter has a National Coach of the Year award!!!!! You better hire him before someone else does.
Should I go on?

Are you this ignorant for real? So okay go with someone with 0 credentials and experience cause you never know they could be the ONE! And getting it done and being voted an award by media or whoever is different and would hope you realize that.

Not at all. I want Barta to do his job and get on the phone with people familiar with GD's offenses at Texas, in order to make an informed decision. Because if he had done that, there's no wat he would have signed off on the hire. Either that or he is so incompetent at his job that he OK'd it anyway. Which I suppose is a 85-90% possibility. In which case the President of the University should start asking some questions.

So Barta needs to second guess and be up to speed on all the potential offenses out there in the country and make personnel decisions in terms of who to offer scholarships, etc. Who are the magical "people" familiar with his offense at Texas. You must have names and they must be some real influential people, or you talking about some dudes that went to a game once while he coached there?

And I can give you a list of Coordinators that have National Championship rings, sitting in either forced retirement or on the unemployment line. There's a reason why NOBODY offered Greg Davis a P-5 job for 2 years before KF needed a patsy.
Chuck Long has a NC ring........where is he coaching right now?

Maybe Chuck does not want to coach? You know maybe he doesn't want to work 70 to 80 hours every week. Or maybe you are buddies with Chuck and know for sure. Tell him great boot leg from me!

What makes you think Barta signed off on the hire? I'm guessing he just found out about Brian being named OC the same time we did.

So Barta needs to second guess and be up to speed on all the potential offenses out there in the country and make personnel decisions in terms of who to offer scholarships, etc. Who are the magical "people" familiar with his offense at Texas. You must have names and they must be some real influential people, or you talking about some dudes that went to a game once while he coached there?
I already gave you one. Bob Stoops! Call some of the coaches that actually coached against him. It's not rocket science for those of us with a brain. I can see why you struggle to grasp it, however. Every Texas fan knew. The Texas ADs have known for years. You're a moron that just wants to argue. Go waste someone else's time.

What makes you think Barta signed off on the hire? I'm guessing he just found out about Brian being named OC the same time we did.
We're talking about Greg Davis. Not Brian Ferentz. Barta has to approve the hiring of Brian Ferentz because of the nepotism laws. That's why KF doesn't get to conduct the job performance reviews for Brian. Barta does them.

Are you this ignorant for real? So okay go with someone with 0 credentials and experience cause you never know they could be the ONE! And getting it done and being voted an award by media or whoever is different and would hope you realize that.
I'm not advocating that Brian Ferentz get the job. Is that what you think? I assume you are talking about Brian Ferentz with the "0 credentials" comment?

It isn't rational. Look at how Iowa has performed in comparison to other Big Ten teams during KF's tenure, as a whole. He doesn't "consistently" underperform. And the view of the performance is based on each individual's expectations. I had Iowa going 9-3 during the regular season. Others expected at least 10-2. Say they beat NDSU and NW but lose to Michigan, they'd have been 9-3.

But it's up to you to decide what is acceptable to you and what's not. And yes, I say "vocal group" because you're not the majority. You're the same group of people on here championing the same cause. It really isn't as large as you think it is. You're screaming from the top of the mountain after the PSU loss then silent during the three-game winning streak then back after the bowl loss. The tenor of this board is completely predictable.

If you were the majority, the stands would not be full and the money wouldn't keep rolling into a program that is among the healthiest in the country. But I know KF has nothing to do with that.

Rob, this site is pro ferentz by a long shot. Many others are not. So, you may characterize me and others as the minority, but that would be for this site. Regarding game day crowds, I thought you stated that game day crowds were no longer relevant because of the tv contracts. Apparently, they are sometimes and aren't sometimes. in any event, it took winning to fill the stands during the 12-0 season and that was because fan support dropped and crowds shrank because of the '14 season. So, of course fan support would be back up after a 12-0 season, but it could also drop after a subpar win total season. sure we beat UM and kNU. but we also lost to a FCS team and jNW (check ferentz' record against jNW and see how close to .500 it is; then you can see a program that is surpassing Iowa) and 3 straight home losses.

But, it's all a moot point now anyway, Brian is the OC and it's such a surprise for all of us who predicted it would happen when he was first hired and Davis wasn't let go.

Brian's age is the only thing that anyone can point to in terms of his inexperience. He has more football experience than any other football coach in the country that is his age. He's been around the game his entire life. He played the game at this level. As soon as he was done playing he started coaching at the NFL level, and now he has worked his way back to coach at this level. He's been successful at every single thing that he has done. There is really nothing else he could have done in order to give himself more experience other than taking a job somewhere else. It's not his fault he's young. I don't think that should be held against him. He is as qualified as he could possibly be for someone his age. I actually think his age is a good thing.

Just what I want. Another OLine coach in a offensive coordinator position. Because linemen excite young skilled RBs, qbs, and receivers so much.

Let's put in the Notre Dame offense from 1945 while we're at it.

Rob,

What credentials does Brian Ferentz actually have -- do you think he could be the offensive coordinator here for three years and be ready to head coach a team like Miami of Ohio, Western Michigan, Houston, or Boise State? The run game hasn't veen tops in the league while he's been the running game coordinator. The line pass blocking has regressed.

If he wasn't named Ferentz he wouldn't be considered for the job.

How about former DB coaches and DC's? Do they inspire young skilled RB's, QB's and receivers? Do they make good head coaches? I don't know.... ask Nick Saban. Or Bob Stoops. Or Brian Kelly. Or numerous others.

I agree with the general thrust of this post. But we don't have an adequate sample size to judge Stanleys efficacy. Though I will say on paper we have a nice stable of QBs (which include Stanley). Weigers; Stanley and Cook all got 4 stars from at least one service. So potential is there and optimism is fair (that's right I know how to rhyme), for the QB position.
I agree, we don't know very much about Stanley. But I think the pluses on the rest of the team should (we hope) make up for his lack of experience. He definitely needs to put some weight on.

How about former DB coaches and DC's? Do they inspire young skilled RB's, QB's and receivers? Do they make good head coaches? I don't know.... ask Nick Saban. Or Bob Stoops. Or Brian Kelly. Or numerous others.

Or Mike Tomlin... the list goes on and on. People who are arguing this hire just don't like KF. Which is a separate point entirely. Brian is as experienced as he could possibly be at his age. There's nothing else he could have done. He deserves this chance. I think he's going to do a hell of a good job.

Latest posts