Howe: It’s Brian Ferentz’s Time to Be Iowa’s Offensive Coordinator

He could certainly voice his opinion over dinner at home. Ferentz will Never change. Tune in next year for the first game. You will see very little change. If Kirk wanted to change, he could have it at any time,regardless of who the coordinator is.

Gonna be a lot of people disappearing and coming on with different user names when this all works out. Under the new names they will say they were for it all along.

Why? What is Brian's offensive philosophy? What offense is he going to run? What is he going to tweak? No way is Brian the best candidate for this job and Iowa did not even try to find that person. This was a total gift to his son that I am sure involves a great deal of money. It amazes me the power given to head football coaches. The Iowa program will again be the butt of many jokes and commentaries with this move.

The power given to head coaches? You mean the guy at the top of the football program making decisions on people that work for him? Good God people.

And the money thing, I am just sure Kirk and Mary are not going to leave any kind of inheritance for the kids. I don't think any of the kids would be hurting for money no matter what job they took on.

Highly doubtful. Iowa doesn't have a spare $30M or more to burn on the buyout. Ain't happening.
Nope not with the north endzone getting her facelift. I've been hearing the chatter that 'one bad year' and their gone. I don't see how KF is fireable. If that's even a word. I just don't see how now. I can see this being a bit of a lightning rod of a hire for some that just don't get it. But from where I'm sitting it makes all the sense in the world.

Rob, I think this is one of the fairest, most dynamic pieces you have written since I've followed you going way back to the Scout days. Job well done, sir.

Now, do you think we can get the talent in here to compete for divisional titles?

Well, we're almost 3 full years into Brian's run as OC. Looks like he has a ways to go.

Rankings Under BF so far:

Total Offense:
2017: 117
2018: 92
2019 so far: 98

Scoring Offense:
2017: 66
2018: 44
2019 so far: 100

Passing Offense:
2017: 93
2018: 72
2019 so far: 66

Rushing Offense:
2017: 97
2018: 95
2019 so far: 96

(38 games):
Total Offense: 102.33
Scoring Offense: 70
Passing Offense: 77
Rushing Offense: 96
Mean Ranking: 86.33

5 years under Greg Davis:

Total Offense: 92.2
Scoring Offense: 82.4
Passing Offense: 92
Rushing Offense: 66.8
Mean Ranking: 83.35

13 years under KOK:

Total Offense: 67.92
Scoring Offense: 59.46
Passing Offense: 59.84
Rushing Offense: 66.23
Mean Ranking: 63.36

Well, we're almost 3 full years into Brian's run as OC. Looks like he has a ways to go.

Total Offense:

Scoring Offense:

Passing Offense:

Rushing Offense:

(38 games):

13 years under KOK:

He put up 27 and 19 against Nebraska & lllinois' impregnable DLs

Total Offense:

Scoring Offense:

Passing Offense:

Rushing Offense:

(38 games):

13 years under KOK:

Thanks for the stats update. Use the efficiency numbers next time, they are not clouded by things like possessions per game. They essentially tell the same story; BF is roughly the equilvalent of GD thus far, and this season has been a step back from the prior 2. I am not sure what one can use to project improvement going forward if no progress has been made in 3 years. Just blind hope, I guess.

Thanks for the stats update. Use the efficiency numbers next time, they are not clouded by things like possessions per game. They essentially tell the same story; BF is roughly the equilvalent of GD thus far, and this season has been a step back from the prior 2. I am not sure what one can use to project improvement going forward if no progress has been made in 3 years. Just blind hope, I guess.
More wins than the last two, so I suppose we can be happy with the overall trajectory of the program as a whole. I’m with Rob here, I think the speed of the offense is because of Kirk’s preferred style. The offensive production toward the end of the Wisconsin game wasn’t a fluke, nor the beginning of the Minnesota game.

Exactly. With IA it’s all about EFFICIENCY as, on average, each team has 2 less possessions per game due to almost everything IA does ‘shortens’ games. Defensive numbers also need adjusted accordingly. Our overall Offensive and Defensive yards and points will always be lower due to this!

I re-read what I posted a few years ago and what strikes me is how well BF has improved the passing game from GDs god-awful route trees and horizontal schemes. I would have never guessed that would happen.

But I’m also equally surprised at the regression of the running game under his watch compared to GD.

it’s been completely opposite of what I would have predicted.

I think he’s shown a good ability to get us from 20 yd line to 20 yd line and really seemed to have turned the corner last year in red zone efficiency. This year took a step back in that. Had we been just a tad more efficient in the red zone, we are probably playing OSU in the B1G CG.

With the return of all RBs and WRs/TEs of consequence, I’m interested to see how that translates with a new QB.

I re-read what I posted a few years ago and what strikes me is how well BF has improved the passing game from GDs god-awful route trees and horizontal schemes. I would have never guessed that would happen.

But I’m also equally surprised at the regression of the running game under his watch compared to GD.

it’s been completely opposite of what I would have predicted.

I think he’s shown a good ability to get us from 20 yd line to 20 yd line and really seemed to have turned the corner last year in red zone efficiency. This year took a step back in that. Had we been just a tad more efficient in the red zone, we are probably playing OSU in the B1G CG.

With the return of all RBs and WRs/TEs of consequence, I’m interested to see how that translates with a new QB.

I'm right with you. The passing game is night and day 1000x better than it was under Greg Davis. Under Davis 50% of balls were under 5 yard throws, and throws over 11 yards were about 30%. This year it was 38% under 5 yards and 40% were over 11 yards.

It blows my mind is the complete regression of the rushing attack. I think that Iowa just ignored updating that while they updated the passing attack as they felt they could always rush the ball. The need to take a much harder look under the hood of the rushing attack and begin revamping/updating that this offseason.

I'm right with you. The passing game is night and day 1000x better than it was under Greg Davis. Under Davis 50% of balls were under 5 yard throws, and throws over 11 yards were about 30%. This year it was 38% under 5 yards and 40% were over 11 yards.

It blows my mind is the complete regression of the rushing attack. I think that Iowa just ignored updating that while they updated the passing attack as they felt they could always rush the ball. The need to take a much harder look under the hood of the rushing attack and begin revamping/updating that this offseason.

Yes, offensive is much better than under GD. Teams wud suffocate the line because they knew if would be either a run or a very short pass. Offense has opened up a lot more under BF

Part of the problem with the rushing attack is teams are bringing everyone up because they have no respect for Stanley or our receivers to beat them over the top. That, and it took KF and boy wonder 9 games to make Goodson our feature back. The line was bad as well, but Stanley played a large part in why teams had everyone at the line of scrimmage, there was no reason for them to back off.

I want someone to ask Kirk "what will you focus on in the offseason" and see whether he says that the running game requires attention. I think kirk is very patent and is satisfied with this kind of offense. He got to 9 mins. Iowa turned in 1 quarter of offense against Minny and Nebraska. I think it was about the same vs Purdue.

I have 1 big question - what changed during the Nebraska game? Why did the running game suddenly stop working? How is it that they managed to take control.

I want someone to ask Kirk "what will you focus on in the offseason" and see whether he says that the running game requires attention. I think kirk is very patent and is satisfied with this kind of offense. He got to 9 mins. Iowa turned in 1 quarter of offense against Minny and Nebraska. I think it was about the same vs Purdue.

I have 1 big question - what changed during the Nebraska game? Why did the running game suddenly stop working? How is it that they managed to take control.

I don't know that the running game ever "worked" during the game. We had a big play by ISM on the reverse for a TD and Goodson got loose on his big run for a TD, but nothing else really worked. I haven't re-watched yet, but I think a big issue for the running game not working is receivers dropping passes and Stanley missing passes all game long which just killed any drive momentum we might have been able to gain. Up to the final drive, we had only run 20 plays total in the 2nd half. We'd have one drive where we'd call run on first down and gain 3, then call a pass play on 2nd and have a drop or bad pass, which forced us into 3rd and longs. On another drive, we'd start off with a pass play that someone would drop or it would be a bad pass, we'd run on 2nd for 3 or 4 yards, once again leaving 3rd and longs. It was the lack of execution in the passing game that killed us more than an inability to run.

Im not sold on BF but Im not ready to throw him out quite yet. I wish he was an OC somewhere else under a more progressive HC. I think BF would have learned a lot and brought so much more to our program. But what we get is KF jr. trying to establish some things but, I feel, he is being told he is getting to whacky. So KF shuts him down and we throw Sargeant in and run 3 crappy run plays and punt to hang on and win.

I think BF could be a really good OC under the right HC, and papa isnt it.

Two issues I saw during the NE game (and most of the season)

1. Teams don't respect the big play from Iowa. Up until ISM and Goodson breaking big plays for TD, how many scores did we have over 30 yards this year? A handful? Teams didn't fear the top end speed of any Iowa player so they were OK allowing chunks of yards to be eaten up, because the next 1st down meant a chance that Iowa would fall into their tendencies again.

2. Tendencies and lack of adjustments. Iowa saw something against NE and attacked with the reverse, and Goodson was able to break free. NE clearly made adjustments to tighten up their defense but Iowa appeared to go back to running the clock out. Kirk does it every year with every offense. Build a lead and then it's like they think it's spring practice and decide to just run vanilla versus continuing the beat down.

Latest posts