Howe: Iowa Routing ISU Not Good Thing for Cy-Hawk Series

If you bat .350, you make the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Definite, swing and a miss for Rob, but his ovearll batting average is much, much higher than .350.

Look at it this way.....Ohio St does not feel compelled to play Ohio every year. Why should the Iowa program feel compelled to carry these bums every single year? What is good for Iowa should be good for Iowa.....not the clowns. Let's shut the Colin Cowherd's of the world up and play some teams with a national heartbeat! Drop the dead end, no win situation, dead weight off the schedule.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/oh-boy-colin-cownerds-take-on-kf-extension.156220/

As Rob has said it is his "opinion" that last night's game was not encouraging for keeping the series going. He enjoys it while many others do not. The opinion expressed has a "one-way" view in my view and that is of a reporter covering the game from an Iowa angle. Personally I believe that Big XII expansion probably will affect ISU's ability to schedule non conference opponents. So the references to Barta hinting changes could be forthcoming might be originating from contacts by ISU. Pure speculation on my part, but reading between the lines ISU might need to back off on its non-conference scheduling in order to add two new conference members.

We do not know what kind of pressure Barta is getting from the conference office to upgrade or participate in games that are cross-regional. As stated earlier Wisconsin playing LSU, Ohio State playing Oklahoma, and MSU playing Notre Dame make the ISU game seem very pale by comparison. It was such a low priority that even the BTN had the game on one of the alternate stations.

Rotating ISU on and off the schedule is a reasonable compromise in my opinion and could be mutually beneficial .

The problem is not Iowa state its North Dakota state and Miami of Ohio. Keep ISU, add another power 5 opponent.

You don't get pre season games in college football, you need 2 tune up games to work out the kinks. Either way it doesn't make much sense to play more than 10 P5 teams (9 conference games + 1 other). It is too punitive and since 90+% of P5 teams only play 9 or 10 P5 opponents, it would put Iowa at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the P5 teams.

Seriously, where's the rule that says Iowa has to play no one else in the OOC if they keep ISU on the schedule? Texas is playing Notre Dame and Cal, Oklahoma is playing Ohio State and Houston, and they both play 9-game conference schedules. Keep a tune-up game against a Miami (OH) or what not, but make the third game a legit opponent. It doesn't have to be an elite opponent, but even playing someone like TCU, UCLA, etc. would be awesome.

Look at it this way.....Ohio St does not feel compelled to play Ohio every year. Why should the Iowa program feel compelled to carry these bums every single year? What is good for Iowa should be good for Iowa.....not the clowns. Let's shut the Colin Cowherd's of the world up and play some teams with a national heartbeat! Drop the dead end, no win situation, dead weight off the schedule.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/oh-boy-colin-cownerds-take-on-kf-extension.156220/
Ohio is not in a P5 conference, so there is no comparison. The attendance of this rivalry and the economic benefits show that it is good for the whole state. I agree that Iowa needs to stop playing FCS schools (which it will after this year by mandate) and schedule another P5 school in their OOC schedule, but they should be able to do that without ending the in-state rivalry.

Seriously, where's the rule that says Iowa has to play no one else in the OOC if they keep ISU on the schedule? Texas is playing Notre Dame and Cal, Oklahoma is playing Ohio State and Houston, and they both play 9-game conference schedules. Keep a tune-up game against a Miami (OH) or what not, but make the third game a legit opponent. It doesn't have to be an elite opponent, but even playing someone like TCU, UCLA, etc. would be awesome.

There is no rule, we could schedule 12 P5 teams every year if Barta/Ferentz wanted to.

Being a developmental program, why would we want to do that? Texas and Oklahoma don't schedule 11 P5 teams every year, and the number of schools that do it each year is like 4-8 schools. It is a very small percentage that do, and the ones that do are blue bloods that have recruiting advantages that we will never have.

As I said earlier, we know it isn't going to happen, so why bang our heads against the wall about it?

The recruiting value of bringing teams like UCLA, TCU, or a Georgia into Kinnick is worth its weight in gold. Players from all over the US could see the crazy atmosphere in IC on game day. Roll out the red carpet for recruits on that day. Keep the ISU game but beef up the schedule too. Look at what that LSU game has done for the Badgers this year.

I'm an ISU fan, and I've argued for a long time on this board even I think the series needs to end, at least in it's frequency. It's not just a reaction to yesterday.

IMO if ISU is ever going to pull itself out of the total dregs of college football it needs to do it's level best to schedule three wins in the noncon every year. If the Big 12 goes back to a 8 game conference schedule they need to schedule four wins. I mean they need to be scheduling 1-10 FCS teams, not even UNI. That's how Bill Snyder did it, and if ISU is to have any hope they need to start acting like the program they are.

When Bill Snyder came back after Ron Prince, he scheduled TWO FCS teams his first year back. KU under Mangino scheduled garbage schedules. I want ISU to have the absolute worst possible SOS every single year.

I'm an ISU fan, and I've argued for a long time on this board even I think the series needs to end, at least in it's frequency. It's not just a reaction to yesterday.

IMO if ISU is ever going to pull itself out of the total dregs of college football it needs to do it's level best to schedule three wins in the noncon every year. If the Big 12 goes back to a 8 game conference schedule they need to schedule four wins. I mean they need to be scheduling 1-10 FCS teams, not even UNI. That's how Bill Snyder did it, and if ISU is to have any hope they need to start acting like the program they are.

When Bill Snyder came back after Ron Prince, he scheduled TWO FCS teams his first year back. KU under Mangino scheduled garbage schedules. I want ISU to have the absolute worst possible SOS every single year.

Even if they schedule a FCS school, Valley and Dowling, that will still be 2-1 in the non con. ;)

I agree with you though Bryce, ISU needs to drop UNI. It is a no win game for them, lose and it is embarrassing, and win and you don't get any credit/bump for doing so. The Iowa schools have to stop piggy backing off big brother. That mean UNI for ISU and ISU for Iowa. Time to stand on your own two feet Lil Bro's.

I agree completely this this post. But I would still like to cut the ISU game just because nationally they add nothing when we win by a smal or large margin. Would much rather watch Iowa play a better P5 team in their place.

I have no desire to trash talk ISU fans when we win and I can't stand hearing ISU fans trash talk when we lose. If they quit playing each other I might be able to actually root for them after a few years.

Ohio is not in a P5 conference, so there is no comparison. The attendance of this rivalry and the economic benefits show that it is good for the whole state. I agree that Iowa needs to stop playing FCS schools (which it will after this year by mandate) and schedule another P5 school in their OOC schedule, but they should be able to do that without ending the in-state rivalry.

Last time I checked....Ohio is a MAC school and is a D1 school (not FCS) so Ohio St could still play them if they wanted to. They choose not to. We should do the same with the Clowns.

Iowa St should be in the MAC anyway.....if not FCS themselves.

This just came to me. You know what they should do with series like this, especially if they want to play every year? There should be something to play for, a bonus. They should do a "make you take it" kind of deal. Whoever wins gets to have it as a home game on the next year's schedule. That would amp up the rivalry for the team, school and fans. In addition, the winning team would get the $$.

I personally don't mind curb stomping ISU like we're supposed to. Whether the series is beneficial or not I'm not sold either way. Does it get national attention? Probably not but there's always fans that will land on it or tune in because it's a rivalry game' similar to what people do for the Holy War. That said I'd love to drop in the event we can schedule top 25 opponents on a year in and year out basis, but I don't see that happening. I would honestly rather play an instate rival (regardless of how bad a program) than schedule a bottom feeding "mid-major".

ISU is ALWAYS in a rebuilding mode. Iowa should dump this game as soon as they can. Maybe see if they can get an annual series with Missouri or K-State. ISU in their best years is lucky to go 6-6. A loss to ISU is ALWAYS considered a bad loss. A win over them does no more for Iowa than does a win over Miami of Ohio. If Iowa has aspirations to improve their National perception, this game has to go.

Latest posts