Howe: Iowa Routing ISU Not Good Thing for Cy-Hawk Series

The series only means something to the clowns. I care about what's good for Iowa and playing McDonalds U isn't it.

Well, if Iowa State really can't compete, wouldn't you want to keep the game for the guaranteed win? If Iowa State starts keeping the games close or beating Iowa (remember, we are 9-9 in the last 18), why would you need to substitute another team on the schedule? What does Iowa really gain by scheduling LSU or USC? Remember, there are PLENTY of marquee games on a 9 game Big Ten schedule (Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska and Minnesota all fit that description this year, particularly if Iowa keeps winning).

Bottom line, dumping Iowa State makes no sense to me at all. Plus, don't you want to keep all of the money in the state? The buzz in Iowa City last Saturday was amazing.....a ton of money was spent in Iowa City and kept by those local merchants. Plus, it was a national game.....BTN televised it as their key game that night and covered it extensively.

I say keep the game....but insist that it be played at night as a featured BTN game every year!

I also want to add that anyone suggesting Iowa State won't be able to compete in this game in the future is just insane. Iowa is only 9 wins and 9 losses since Hayden retired....hardly a dominating performance. I say cherish the Iowa State wins and hope we beat them next year in Ames.....it won't be easy without CJ Beathard!

Opinions - they're like ..., everybody has one. :)

Just my opinion. I like playing ISU every year.

And I enjoyed last night. We haven't played a complete game like that in a while. It was fun.

My point was the blowout could hurt the future of the series. It fuels the crowd that wants to see it go away. And Iowa dropped a spot in the coaches' poll today, adding more fuel to the argument.

I'd be bummed of we stopped playing ISU. Just how I feel.

I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree.

Iowa playing ISU every year is, quite frankly, a huge favor on our behalf. We are a nationally relevant program. They are not and show no signs of ever becoming one. I'm just kind of over it. I'd rather we play a Notre Dame or Virginia Tech or Miami or LSU or whatever marque program you care to offer. Nobody cares about Iowa versus ISU except for us, because we have to win the game, and them, because it's their superbowl.

We gain nothing from playing them. Nothing. It's not even a real "rivalry," since the outcome has no bearing on our respective conferences.

I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree.

Iowa playing ISU every year is, quite frankly, a huge favor on our behalf. We are a nationally relevant program. They are not and show no signs of ever becoming one. I'm just kind of over it. I'd rather we play a Notre Dame or Virginia Tech or Miami or LSU or whatever marque program you care to offer. Nobody cares about Iowa versus ISU except for us, because we have to win the game, and them, because it's their superbowl.

We gain nothing from playing them. Nothing. It's not even a real "rivalry," since the outcome has no bearing on our respective conferences.

I understand your argument. I just think that with a 9 game conference schedule (soon to be 10?), playing an elite non-conference opponent each year really DOESN'T make sense. At least with Iowa State, you SHOULD win the game more often than not. We will play plenty of nationally relevant games in the regular Big Ten conference schedule.

Latest posts