Howe: Iowa Routing ISU Not Good Thing for Cy-Hawk Series

Rob I respectfully disagree: 1.) that the electricity was flowing. I get that this was a blow-out, but if you compare this to the Ohio State game in 2010(?), ok I can't remember the year, but I don't think it was ever louder in Kinnick. Or even the Pitt game last year. Frankly, I thought the crowd was relatively quiet even before we started rolling up points. 2.) That Pitt game was a good gauge for determining where Iowa was heading into the Big 10. We need another reputable Power 5 team playing in Kinnick, or as you mentioned at a neutral site. We gain nothing from playing Iowa State every year.

Last edited:
I really want the series to end. Maybe 4 times a decade would be fine - all the players would get to play their 'rival' at least once, and the Hawks would get to play some other great schools from around the country. For long term success, we need to get out there and get on TV against other P5 teams from the P12 and ACC and SEC. Get a game or two in Texas against one of those teams. What's the downside to dropping this as an annual game? We're looking at a future played entirely in the B10 footprint. What's the upside to that?

With all due respect Rob, who cares about "what's good for the series"? What's good for IOWA and what should happen consistently is what we saw last night. A good old fashioned azz kicking which keeps ISMoo in their place.

Sorry Rob, but you are way off on this one. ISU has never been and will never be a nationally respected opponent for Iowa. Since I know that we can't get rid of it, the best thing Iowa could do is play it 2 times over a 4 or 6 year period. Open up a spot to play a ND, or an Arkansas, or another opponent that will help out SOS.

There is no reason at all we should let ISU hold us back "just because". I mean if we would have beaten say a Arkansas (like Toledo) did last year, there would have never been a question about our schedule because we defeated a SEC team.

It is time for this series to change, ISU bring nothing to the table for Iowa.

Strongly disagree Rob. Articles like this one only keeps this sad series going. Iowa gets nothing out of this game. That Colin dude might be a tool....but he is right that iowa needs to upgrade the schedule in the pre season. Iowa St is not worth our time period.

Last edited:
Also a big Iowa win over any opponent is good for the Iowa program and that is all that matters. Not this waste of time series.

Plus it has been proven that Iowa doesn't have to win these games (IE a non conference game) to have a good year. Iowa is 10-10 vs ISU over the past 20 years. Who cares if they played and got beat by ND, or UCLA, or Florida instead? As long as we could win 8-10 games out of 20 we would be much, much better off raising our national profile, over dragging along Lil brother to the party. I mean ISU has zero national relevance, and we don't owe them anything.

Opinions - they're like ..., everybody has one. :)

Just my opinion. I like playing ISU every year.

And I enjoyed last night. We haven't played a complete game like that in a while. It was fun.

My point was the blowout could hurt the future of the series. It fuels the crowd that wants to see it go away. And Iowa dropped a spot in the coaches' poll today, adding more fuel to the argument.

I'd be bummed of we stopped playing ISU. Just how I feel.

Opinions - they're like ..., everybody has one. :)

Just my opinion. I like playing ISU every year.

And I enjoyed last night. We haven't played a complete game like that in a while. It was fun.

My point was the blowout could hurt the future of the series. It fuels the crowd that wants to see it go away. And Iowa dropped a spot in the coaches' poll today, adding more fuel to the argument.

I'd be bummed of we stopped playing ISU. Just how I feel.

Seeing how today is 9/11 we should all be grateful that we live is such a great country that we all have the right to express our opinions. This is why I in turn share my opinion that your opinion is totally stupid and wrong! :)

JK of course, I think we all get this is your opinion and we are just saying why we disagree with said opinion.

Last edited:
if ISU doesn't want to get blown out of the water like a fishing boat bumping into a anti-ship mine they should "git gud"

They are at the bottom of the barrel for P5 schools-HISTORICALLY. Iowa will have to bring the level down in your scenario. The place Campbell is in, isn't comparable to Iowa - ever. One could maybe say Fry, but there have always been pockets of high level play to prove it could be done at Iowa...Anderson, Evy and others. The 19 years of .500 play and below still had other great years to point to. ISU has no such point of inspiration in 120+ years of playing.

I don't care if they continue, or dump the series. Your comparison just weakens your position.

And, I do enjoy your work...this one just doesn't seem well reasoned

They are at the bottom of the barrel for P5 schools-HISTORICALLY. Iowa will have to bring the level down in your scenario. The place Campbell is in, isn't comparable to Iowa - ever. One could maybe say Fry, but there have always been pockets of high level play to prove it could be done at Iowa...Anderson, Evy and others. The 19 years of .500 play and below still had other great years to point to. ISU has no such point of inspiration in 120+ years of playing.

I don't care if they continue, or dump the series. Your comparison just weakens your position.

And, I do enjoy your work...this one just doesn't seem well reasoned

Iowa State has won 10 of the last 19 against us.

We don't know what the future holds for Campbell and Iowa State. We don't know what the future holds for the Big 12. We can't just base it off of history.

Where do you think ISU would be if they had kept McCarney at the helm? I think they would be a much more formidable foe year-in and year-out.

Iowa State has won 10 of the last 19 against us.

We don't know what the future holds for Campbell and Iowa State. We don't know what the future holds for the Big 12. We can't just base it off of history.

They have won 10 of the last 34 against us, and 5 of the last 14.

They had a nice 5 year run, but that is ancient history now, and 3 coaches ago for them.

They have won 10 of the last 34 against us, and 5 of the last 14.

They had a nice 5 year run, but that is ancient history now, and 3 coaches ago for them.

And they've won three of the last six and two of the last three at Kinnick. We can play this game forever. :)

You guys don't want to play ISU anymore. I get it. They're inferior and never will be worthy.

I like the game. I like the rivalry. I understand plenty of other fans don't. That's cool.

I ain't changing my opinion unless we get several more of last night in a row. Then I might be able to be convinced. I think you guys think that's going to happen. We shall see.

And they've won three of the last six and two of the last three at Kinnick. We can play this game forever. :)

You guys don't want to play ISU anymore. I get it. They're inferior and never will be worthy.

I like the game. I like the rivalry. I understand plenty of other fans don't. That's cool.

I ain't changing my opinion unless we get several more of last night in a row. Then I might be able to be convinced. I think you guys think that's going to happen. We shall see.

You like the rivalry, I get that. List for me how playing that game advances Iowa's national profile. I wouldn't mind keeping the game, if it didn't hold us back from raising our national profile, that is my biggest beef with it.

I think we need to play a couple cupcakes early in the year, and I like playing ISU, but I also think we need a decent P5 team for our 3rd out of conference games. Why can't we have our "cupcake" and eat it too? If we want to get the national respect we'd all like, we have to get to the point where ISU is one of those two cupcakes and add a decent P5 team as our third OOC game. Let's face it, if we can't beat ISU, we're not where we need to be anyway!

Latest posts