Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are fans on that site who are defending you. Do you think protesters may show up at Kinnick & the football offices tonight to protest? I really wonder, those crowds keep growing & it's a Saturday night.

Hoping Tom is sticking up for me. We went to dinner on Thursday. :D

I haven’t heard where they’re headed tonight. I know they agreed not to go on the interstate again. With what’s going on in this country right now, little surprises me.

Okay so.... Doyle is a major asshole/thinks he is untouchable type. Often these types are successful however. But these things about Doyle are not surprising. I've heard stories about Doyle's character and how big of a tyrant he is from people who were athletes or coaches at IOWA. It's not surprising to me at all.

That being said - I teach in a school that is 2/3 African American and this world is a dangerous place for them, especially young black males. However this social media driven world we are living in right now is scary. Allegations are suddenly facts, people all try to jump to whichever narrative is best for their own self interest.

It's a scary time for free speech and facts.

I read all the tweets from the former players, and I think to be fair, before we all go and rush to judgement, that we hear the other side of things. What we are not given is context, and that is everything to me here.

For instance on the Camaro thing and the big truck thing. That was one players perspective, did he know or even mention if KF asked the other player how he bought it?

If Akrum was wearing a mask (pre covid) did the person ask him if he was going to rob a bank or whatever do it only because he was black? Is it conceivable that if he was white they still would have asked?

When Doyle told one of the players he was too broke to buy golf clubs, was that only because he was black? Again, context here would help.

When Doyle was making fun of the kid going to his girls house, did the kid or had the kid made fun of Doyle on how white he was? Was that the dialogue between them?

Listen, I don't know any of these people and don't know anything about the program. Everyone in the program could be racist pigs for all I know. But I have been around a lot of black people over my life and my experience is that the dialogue goes both ways and as a white person you better be on your game. It can be a tough crowd, and I mean nothing bad about that. It's just the way it is and you better have thick skin because you will get made fun of, called names, ganged up on but all out of fun and love.

My last point is, and the one that pisses me off, is that these players talk about having so much love for the program, yet they air out their issues on Twitter. I believe strongly that there are a lot of ways to voice concerns and all of them are better than going on Twitter.

That's what is said when you have no valid response. Did you question in the thread about Faith or did you defend the police? Fair enough question. Did you just ignore it?
Not ignoring it. I know the whole story, he complied and said they were very professional with him. To me it seemed to be profiling someone who they were attempting to apprehend due to the fact he fit the description. I recall him complimenting them. Does it suck he had to go through that yes. Does that make the cop(s) racist, no. Is that answer good enough for you? My last response is that fact I don’t like having debates with people who base arguments off emotions.

EZ3WyJcXgAAHet1
[/QUOTE]
So 2018 this is address, a student diversity council is formed and it all comes out now? Who was in this council? Who hired the people tasked with being the war to the players voice? Why didn’t former and current players feeling all this injustice and culture being ripped from them each out to this council specifically designed to be support/assistance for such issues they may have.

@RobHowe so are you just listening and posting all that’s said as fact? You are a reporter correct? Do you not ask this question and get full context on why this platform wasn’t utilized?

These are valid concerns as if a problem and you do not speak on it and then just blame for no change how is there not Culpability both ways?

is it too far-fetched to say that maybe the coaches thought that they had a better relationship and this was “locker room talk “.

By no means is racism agreed upon but the players had the resources an avenue to speak on this and try and make changes and nobody did. Why is there no culpability with that how come it is 100% the institutions problem if all that’s wanted and being spoke upon is correct of change when maybe the University didn’t know we needed to change.

Not ignoring it. I know the whole story, he complied and said they were very professional with him. To me it seemed to be profiling someone who they were attempting to apprehend due to the fact he fit the description. I recall him complimenting them. Does it suck he had to go through that yes. Does that make the cop(s) racist, no. Is that answer good enough for you? My last response is that fact I don’t like having debates with people who base arguments off emotions.

Not emotion. Would they have stopped a 300 pound white male looking for a 150 pound white male or for that matter any white male say of blond hair and have done it with a gun pulled and trained. That is the non emotional question.

How about some evidence how the Iowa experience *helped* black players? Perhaps actions, words done in private that nobody knows about?

I'm not advocating there hasn't been inapprioate words/actions, but typically, happy customers will maybe tell one other person and an unhappy customer will tell 12+ people.

There has to be good news out there. I hope somebody has the courage to tell those stories.

Not emotion. Would they have stopped a 300 pound white male looking for a 150 pound white male or for that matter any white male say of blond hair and have done it with a gun pulled and trained. That is the non emotional question.
If he fit the description, yes you mighty social justice warrior. You probably want better police training while defunding the police too right?

Did you guys see Grant Napear, the Sacramento Kings announcer that was forced to resign and then got fired from his radio station job because he responded to DeMarcus Cousins on Twitter when asked what he thought of the BLM movement, and he said "All Lives Matter, every single one of them?".

So much for free speech or civil rights, that guy got bulldozed by the mob. I can't speak for how it feels to be a black man, but I can certainly tell you it sucks to be a white man right now.

If he fit the description, yes you mighty social justice warrior. You probably want better police training while defunding the police too right?

I'm not wrong and it bothers you. I know a local female cop who should be defunded.

I know a cop who harassed me and was defunded...for assaulting others. I know a Sheriff from SE Iowa who should be defunded.

Fed cops get better training than state who get better training than local. At issue in most areas there is no local oversight by the state. They are pretty much free to do what they want until locally prosecuted but in many cases the da is the same party. The state bci and feds are limited in what they can do.

I'm all in favor of refunding some cops.

This is not in response to any particular post, and I wasn't sure which thread to put it in. I just wanted to urge everyone to NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE.

Former Hawkeyes, guys that make up our team, are saying that there needs to be change in the program. They love the program. They want to see it succeed. Let's not let our tendency to defend all things Hawkeye cause us to miss that message.

Kinnick got vandalized. That is frustrating, and it is not helpful to the cause of improving the situation for black people in this country. But frustrations of the vandals is understandable, and the small numbers who chose to vandalize do not represent an entire group. Let's not lose sight of the message that black people are hurting and need things to change.

Just because a messenger does not convey their message in the best possible way, that does not invalidate the message. At some point we all need to get above the pettiness and focus on the things that matter.

John 13:34: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Question: Have we heard from any former white players on this Doyle issue? Obviously they were in the weight room when these things happened. Why are they so silent? Where's Chad Greenway, Ricky Stanzi, Pat Angerer or Bryan Bulaga? If Doyle really is racist, we need to hear from them as well.

Last edited:
Question: Have we heard from any former white players on this Doyle issue? Obviously they were in the weight room when these things happened. Why are they so silent? Where's Chad Greenway, Ricky Stanzi, Pat Angerer or Bryan Bulaga? If Doyle really is racist, we need to hear from them as well.

I'm not on Twitter, so I don't have the ability to follow this very closely, but so far I haven't seen any white players confirm any incidents yet. I don't think we will because it's a slippery slope for them. If they confirm any allegations, all will be fine, but if their memory of how things happened is different it will create some friction between alumni and in some cases current players.

I agree with what someone else said - I need some context before I pass judgement. I think this is how KF sees it too which is why he is reaching out to individuals to hear their stories.

You're much smarter than this. White people's opinions on racism mean less than nothing unless they support that it was there. Any former white player, particularly one that is working for a living, risks losing their job if they even begin to deny that these statements were said.

This is not in response to any particular post, and I wasn't sure which thread to put it in. I just wanted to urge everyone to NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE.

Former Hawkeyes, guys that make up our team, are saying that there needs to be change in the program. They love the program. They want to see it succeed. Let's not let our tendency to defend all things Hawkeye cause us to miss that message.

Kinnick got vandalized. That is frustrating, and it is not helpful to the cause of improving the situation for black people in this country. But frustrations of the vandals is understandable, and the small numbers who chose to vandalize do not represent an entire group. Let's not lose sight of the message that black people are hurting and need things to change.

Just because a messenger does not convey their message in the best possible way, that does not invalidate the message. At some point we all need to get above the pettiness and focus on the things that matter.

John 13:34: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

We are also implored as Christ followers to seek social justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.