Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but a serious question. What are you going to do differently now during this huge cultural shift?

Also, do you know what covert racism is?

Let me ask you this. Was it OK what the police did to Faith?
Not okay with bad policing weather it’s you, faith, or George Floyd. What am I going to do? Nothing I haven’t been doing. I’m someone who has gotten along with many people of different races. I’ve played summer and college baseball that paired me with multiple different races and we all got along and were great friends. I’m not going to sit here and say I’m sorry as if I’m the one holding people down. I’m going to continue with life and not get mad, dwell, and if I see racism either call it out or stop it. Frankly I have never been around racism, covert or not. I’m not going to incite anything either like Howe does. It’s petty and the way the Iowa media is handling it is almost as if they want this ship we call Iowa football to go down in flames. I think if some teams down south opened up about this, it would make Iowa seem like child’s play. Cough cough...CLEMSON

Not okay with bad policing weather it’s you, faith, or George Floyd. What am I going to do? Nothing I haven’t been doing. I’m someone who has gotten along with many people of different races. I’ve played summer and college baseball that paired me with multiple different races and we all got along and were great friends. I’m not going to sit here and say I’m sorry as if I’m the one holding people down. I’m going to continue with life and not get mad, dwell, and if I see racism either call it out or stop it. Frankly I have never been around racism, covert or not. I’m not going to incite anything either like Howe does. It’s petty and the way the Iowa media is handling it is almost as if they want this ship we call Iowa football to go down in flames. I think if some teams down south opened up about this, it would make Iowa seem like child’s play. Cough cough...CLEMSON

Did you raise questions to anyone about Faith? If you've been here you've seen it. Iowa football down in flames? It's already there if you've checked message boards.

Did you raise questions to anyone about Faith? If you've been here you've seen it. Iowa football down in flames? It's already there if you've checked message boards.

Message boards? Well, sh*t, we're doomed.

Anyone who has been paying attention for the past 10 years realizes that P5 football programs don't go down in flames. They take beatings. They get black eyes. They get vilified and tagged with labels that opposing fan bases use to sling hate for years afterward. Some even payout enormous settlements. But scandals don't bring down football programs. Not in the modern era.

I'm not condoning the elevated position of athletics in American culture, but the greatest evidence of this is in the BIG itself. Iowa will come out of this about where it went in.

Iowa football actually has a tremendous opportunity before it. And I'm not making that statement in consideration of wins and losses, nor will I judge their success that way. The staff and administration are being given a chance at reflection and self-improvement, as individuals and as a program. It's an unenviable position, but if they invite the harsh feedback of affected players, if they face up to the hard questions and what may be some painful answers they have a chance to become a significantly better program. I've always rooted for them on the field and I'm rooting for them now.

And more than any on-field victory (yes, even over #2 Michigan), if they do this well, it would undoubtedly be the thing I was most proud of the program for.

I'm can take it. Getting hammered on Twitter, too.

I get it. This sucks.

Keep doing what you're doing, Rob. I know you're doing the best job you can in a fair and ethical manner. This can't be easy for you.

Agree, but a serious question. What are you going to do differently now during this huge cultural shift?

Also, do you know what covert racism is?

Let me ask you this. Was it OK what the police did to Faith?

I think it was okay given the circumstances. IIRC the police handled the situation as well as they could have and Faith even praised them for it.

I'm curious what you were thinking when you wrote the last sentence...

"police officers who murder and anarchists who destroy"...
or "police officers who destroy and murder and anarchists who destroy and murder"...
or exactly what you wrote "police officers and anarchists who destroy and murder"??

I'm honestly just asking. I'm not covertly calling you a racist, an enabler, an apologist, a dick or anything else. I read what you wrote and that was the question that popped in my head. Mostly because by the way it's worded I can't decide if it supports your claim of fairness. Figured I may as well just ask. ;)
Not sure exactly what you are asking...but...

There are bad people on both sides who destroy and murder. (There are many sides)

If there is such a thing as systemic racism...I see it as kind of a catch-all, blanket assumption of guilt/blaming towards whites. But if there is such a thing as systemic racism, then there is also systemic racism among those who are not white, correct?

Now a "sniff" of racism, even a casual word or statement without evil intent labels a white person as a racist. And "sensed" racism or sexism (fill in the list) is often what "convicts" a person. High schools and colleges are now filled with teachers/professors who help their students "sense" this racism. It is a joke, a waste of taxpayer money, and bad for society. It also make millions of dollars for the niche lawyers who carpetbag the system, leaving the innocently accused in their wake.

I have known several blacks in the Army and the Church whom I admired almost more than any other people in those organizations. I have also known blacks who are filled with hatred and racism. Of course, this isn't discussed.

A black who demonstrates racism is excused or it is taken as "funny" or rationalized as coming from their "history of slavery." If this isn't addressed along with white racism there is little fairness perceived and nothing will change. Who will lead this conversation with respect and honesty when everyone is afraid to broach the subject, afraid of a you are guilty because we say so lynching.

Truth needs to be clear on all sides for progress to proceed.

That's noble. So what are you going to do about this?
I discuss these issues with as much fairness and logic as presents itself through the people in my life.

I also write a blog for a select/chosen group of people I trust. They are fair, intelligent, and are frustrated, desiring truth as well.

I guess I could run for president but I am not old enough.

Keep doing what you're doing, Rob. I know you're doing the best job you can in a fair and ethical manner. This can't be easy for you.

I think it was okay given the circumstances. IIRC the police handled the situation as well as they could have and Faith even praised them for it.

150 BM? Seriously? Gun pointed over money with only Black as a reason?

I wonder if any of this Doyle stuff could be related to Noah Fant and what was going on with him during his last year at Iowa? I looked at his Twitter page, but nothing.

As I said, there’s certainly room to listen, improve, and change. You’re either growing or dying.
vior
At the same time, KF will never undertake a change that puts the individual above the team. That culture isn’t for everyone and that’s okay.

Individual vs team, I dont think for a top football team is a place for a lot of individuals doing their own thing. In one of these posts it was mentioned some players didnt like not being able to do TD celebrations but the hawks do celebrate as a team. I do not want to see or think we should have individual Billy white shoes Johnson-type or other big TD celebrations by just one player. No one player makes a TD by themselves. Tattoos in the locker room?? Is that really true that there is written or unspoken practice of trying to have players cover up tattoos? I am not a tattoo person but I dont really judge others for their tattoos as long as the tattoos are not insensitive or bad like nazis crap or similar.

I have read so far in this thread that Doyle has made some quite rank, bad statements that are stereotypes of bad behavior by blacks as in gang activity. If true then that cannot be tolerated. Sounds like an investigation will probably take place which will take awhile.

you need to stay away from the message boards.you will learn little of value. Probably including what I just posted

You might have an argument here:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Of course at that time there weren't meaning black people.
Now recite the lyrics to "Conjunction Junction"
:p

Individual vs team, I dont think for a top football team is a place for a lot of individuals doing their own thing. In one of these posts it was mentioned some players didnt like not being able to do TD celebrations but the hawks do celebrate as a team. I do not want to see or think we should have individual Billy white shoes Johnson-type or other big TD celebrations by just one player. No one player makes a TD by themselves. Tattoos in the locker room?? Is that really true that there is written or unspoken practice of trying to have players cover up tattoos? I am not a tattoo person but I dont really judge others for their tattoos as long as the tattoos are not insensitive or bad like nazis crap or similar.

I have read so far in this thread that Doyle has made some quite rank, bad statements that are stereotypes of bad behavior by blacks as in gang activity. If true then that cannot be tolerated. Sounds like an investigation will probably take place which will take awhile.
If the rules are the same for the entire team, they can take it or leave it. The “culture” is for KF to establish. However, that is not to justify unequal treatment of players of color. Then you let recruiting establish the results of KF’s culture. Doyle, if the info we have is correct has violated KF’s culture, as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts