Howe: Hawkeyes Should Be Allowed to Peacefully Protest During Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t read the entire thread but wasn’t there a rumor Dez lost or wasn’t voted captain his senior because he wanted to kneel the first time this came around?

I really hope everyone can get their voices heard. I really hope that the offending parties leave or redeem themselves, one way or another. This could end in a sweeping overhaul.

Everyone knows what it means to say "acting black". That term has been around a long time. Some white people "act black" and some black people "act white". We all know what it means. I've always assumed Kirk doesn't like people to "act black". It's been blatantly obvious his whole time here. My only question is, is it racist to not like people "acting black"? Or is it racist to thing that "acting black" is solely a black thing? Because it's not.

Kirk has a certain idea of how people should act and pushes hard to teach them to act that way. I've always thought it was a little douchey of him, but before a few days ago it was called "getting them ready for the real world". I would wager a lot of ex black players are thankful for those lessons. Others clearly are not. Is it bull shit that you have to conform to society to be "ready for the real world"? Maybe. But that is one of the few things in life every single race has to deal with equally. Because if any person of any race doesn't conform to society, they aren't going to make it far.

I read in one of the tweets that a reason they couldn't have twitter is because the coaches wanted their voices silenced. If that's truly the case, why aren't people tweeting the second they leave the program? You only have the option to silence someone while they are in the program. My point is, if there are issues (and it sounds like there definitely are) I would assume the coaches were ignorant to those issues more so than knowing about them to the point of forcing kids off twitter so they can't spill the beans.

I'm curious what Bob Sanders has to say. He is still talked about so highly from the coaching staff. I'm curious what Brad Banks has to say. Is there more to that story than what we've heard. I'm curious to learn more about Doyle. It has always seemed like he was loved by everyone. In my mind (and I know a lot of people venomously disagree with this) when you say those sort of things to a black man, you are either racist or you love them like family and you are perhaps too comfortable around them. Did he get too comfortable around black people and that kind of talk slowly became normal over the years? Or does he hate black people so he treats them like shit? Or is it somewhere in the middle? All I know is this whole thing has my full attention.

The
Whether you, me, or Kirk Ferentz thinks it’s ok to kneel, those soldiers all fought to preserve a country where people have a right to burn flags and kneel during the National Anthem. That’s what separated us from merry olde England. I bet the aristocracy in Great Britain thought it was a travesty of disrespect when the Boston Tea Party happened and those colonial fools burned the Union Jack and cut their own flag that said Don’t Tread On Me.

Our founding fathers, for all their faults, wanted a country where the masses could be free to rebel against the tyrants.

Protest is part of our country’s heritage whether you like it or not. If you don’t want to participate you have every right to abstain. If you declare kneeling off limits or illegal where do you stop? What about religion? Do you want people telling you what you have to believe or not believe? If you’re Catholic and an atheist becomes president do you want that person to have the option to outlaw your worship because it offends atheists? I’m as non-believer as it gets but I don’t want to live in a country where people can’t go to church because it’s their personal freedom. You’re free to go to church and I’m free to ridicule. And vice versa. That’s how it works.

And since you said there are other ways to bring it to light, what if those other ways infringe on some other group not related to sports? Is that ok because you get your sports to the detriment of some other group?
The entire team should kneel, led by the coaching staff.

The cause is big enough for individuality in a team sport. It won't impact the outcome of games:

LINK

you are wrong. no single cause is bigger than the United States of America. That's the point of the country, Rob. Who gets to decide which "causes" are more important the the country? You? Me? Or, how about we leave politics out of national pass times and continue working together and that WE ALL TREAT OTHERS AS WE WOULD HAVE THEM TREAT US?

Perhaps you can agree with that point? Treat everyone how you would want them to treat you.

America is where we each should have the same opportunity to fulfill our own individual wishes. It isn't a place where someone who feels they were wronged get's to turn the entire society upside down until they get what they want.

Chauncey Golston and Matt Hankins responded to a Tweet from an Iowa fan this week. He or she said if they kneel, I am done with Iowa football.

You can see how two black players on the team feel about that opinion in this Tweet.

you are wrong. no single cause is bigger than the United States of America. That's the point of the country, Rob. Who gets to decide which "causes" are more important the the country? You? Me? Or, how about we leave politics out of national pass times and continue working together and that WE ALL TREAT OTHERS AS WE WOULD HAVE THEM TREAT US?

Perhaps you can agree with that point? Treat everyone how you would want them to treat you.

America is where we each should have the same opportunity to fulfill our own individual wishes. It isn't a place where someone who feels they were wronged get's to turn the entire society upside down until they get what they want.

Oh you are going to get hammered for this because your white privilege means you don't get it. But I agree with you. I also agree with most viewpoints on this as well, because there are so many origins of perception and the views don't directly oppose each other.

Personally, I am 110% supportive of protesting if don't the right way. However, in this case, calling attention to your cause during the national anthem was an extremely poor choice, I don't care who told Kap to do it. The reason is because for those protesting, they know they aren't protesting our flag, our country, our constitution, but to everyone else that is exactly what it is. So that is where the debate stalls and we all spend so much time debating something that has nothing to do with the reason for protesting. If another form of protest were were chosen, the rest of people would get behind it because they would know the protest is in an effort to make America better and not trying to tear it apart.

If we all stop to look at the true issues here, I think all of us can agree on two things.

1. I think most of us would think there definitely needs to be reform in a lot of the police departments. The overwhelming majority are appalled at the Floyd killing, Arbery killing, Hawley football players getting searched, etc. I don't know one person that thinks that is ok. In so many places police officers are power drunk, and the reason is the militarization of the police.
2. But we have to have authority and there needs to be an accountable police service, I think most agree. We just can't get rid of it, chaos would ensue otherwise.

And that is what the protest at the beginning was about. Right now action needs to be taken so we can eliminate the rest of the nonsense and get something done. And I think everyone is behind that too.

The symbolism of the flag is the freedoms we enjoy, protesting is one of those freedoms.

Oh you are going to get hammered for this because your white privilege means you don't get it. But I agree with you. I also agree with most viewpoints on this as well, because there are so many origins of perception and the views don't directly oppose each other.

Personally, I am 110% supportive of protesting if don't the right way. However, in this case, calling attention to your cause during the national anthem was an extremely poor choice, I don't care who told Kap to do it. The reason is because for those protesting, they know they aren't protesting our flag, our country, our constitution, but to everyone else that is exactly what it is. So that is where the debate stalls and we all spend so much time debating something that has nothing to do with the reason for protesting. If another form of protest were were chosen, the rest of people would get behind it because they would know the protest is in an effort to make America better and not trying to tear it apart.

If we all stop to look at the true issues here, I think all of us can agree on two things.

1. I think most of us would think there definitely needs to be reform in a lot of the police departments. The overwhelming majority are appalled at the Floyd killing, Arbery killing, Hawley football players getting searched, etc. I don't know one person that thinks that is ok. In so many places police officers are power drunk, and the reason is the militarization of the police.
2. But we have to have authority and there needs to be an accountable police service, I think most agree. We just can't get rid of it, chaos would ensue otherwise.

And that is what the protest at the beginning was about. Right now action needs to be taken so we can eliminate the rest of the nonsense and get something done. And I think everyone is behind that too.

friend, i'm mexican.

this paragraph is a summary of statistics in the below link to a National Academy of Sciences study from July, 2019.

"...white officers are no more likely than black or Hispanic officers to shoot black civilians. It is a racial group’s rate of violent crime that determines police shootings, not the race of the officer. The more frequently officers encounter violent suspects from any given racial group, the greater the chance that members of that racial group will be shot by a police officer. In fact, if there is a bias in police shootings after crime rates are taken into account, it is against white civilians, the study found."

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

it is one of those freedoms. but disrespecting the flag is not a protest. it is disrespect.

This is what people are saying is tone deaf. It is not disrespecting the flag. It is expressing your constitutional right to protest and your right to freedom of speech. This comment lessens what the players are doing, trying to spotlight the abuse black people suffer everyday.

it is one of those freedoms. but disrespecting the flag is not a protest. it is disrespect.

55 of the 70 US soldiers executed in WW2 were Black. Of the about 20 or so executed in the 50s and 60s were black except for maybe 1. Do you know about the hangings at Camp Dodge in 1918?

The person that suggested Kaepernick kneel was a veteran.

Let's not confuse things. The REAL person who suggested Kaep kneel was his girlfriend. The REAL reason he started doing it is because he lost his starting job.

I'm all for his rights, but let's at least be intellectually honest. Like Candace Owens said of George Floyd, it's terrible what happened, but let's not pretend he was a saint all his life.

Frankly, I would rather everyone stand for the anthem and let them do the Black Power salute a la Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics. It wouldn't right the wrong of kicking them out of the Olympic Village, but it would at least acknowledge, finally, that they should NOT have been punished for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts