Howe: Hawkeyes May Have QB Controversy on Their Hands

I think Padilla has done enough to earn the start. Petras does enough to win games when the line can keep him clean. But this line has done nothing to show they can do that. Padilla may end up making a few ill advised passes but he is much more mobile and throws a great ball out of the pocket.

Couldn’t agree more as you said that nothing is fixed. But this offense just needs to be complimentary to the defense.

Padilla’s field vision, quick release and strong delivery and his mobility overcame a lot of softness in the O-line. Plus they didn’t have to hold the block that long.

I regret the Ferentz’s didn’t give him more of a chance to throw downfield.

Padilla played wonderfully. Honestly, I'd start him.

Petras has a stronger arm. Given our inability to protect long enough, I think that's a bit of moot point. It could maybe hurt situationally if we ever needed a last second heave but, honestly, I'll take my chances on Padilla keeping us out of that situation to begin with.

Padilla showed me tremendous accuracy and decisiveness today. Those are two areas where I think Petras has struggled to be consistent. I think, under better conditions (i.e. a better OL), Petras could be That Guy. But Padilla showed me today he can be That Guy under our current circumstances. We're staring at 3 more games that, I suspect, are going to look a lot like today's game. 60 minute dog fights. Every yard is going to matter.

And that doesn't even mention that Padilla opens the door to being able to move the pocket (which is a non starter for Petras). That was an absolute game changer today. Huge. Maybe even decisive.

That was a bad NW team. We held them to 12 points, got 3 takeaways, and still only won by 5. Purdue I was willing to write off as a hangover. Wisconsin is tough, especially on D, and have been playing better and better, that's another write off for me. But NW? I was hoping to roll those guys. I'm concerned and think we gotta try Padilla.

By all means, open the competition back up in Spring (assuming Petras is still here). I will get some serious shit for saying this, but I think Petras has the brighter upside. With an adequate line, I think he'd potentially look like a much different player. But here and now, I think you gotta try something else.

I'll hold off on commenting, because I only saw part of the 2nd half, and frankly, Iowa did look out of sorts, still.

Padilla played wonderfully. Honestly, I'd start him.

Petras has a stronger arm. Given our inability to protect long enough, I think that's a bit of moot point. It could maybe hurt situationally if we ever needed a last second heave but, honestly, I'll take my chances on Padilla keeping us out of that situation to begin with.

Padilla showed me tremendous accuracy and decisiveness today. Those are two areas where I think Petras has struggled to be consistent. I think, under better conditions (i.e. a better OL), Petras could be That Guy. But Padilla showed me today he can be That Guy under our current circumstances. We're staring at 3 more games that, I suspect, are going to look a lot like today's game. 60 minute dog fights. Every yard is going to matter.

And that doesn't even mention that Padilla opens the door to being able to move the pocket (which is a non starter for Petras). That was an absolute game changer today. Huge. Maybe even decisive.

That was a bad NW team. We held them to 12 points, got 3 takeaways, and still only won by 5. Purdue I was willing to write off as a hangover. Wisconsin is tough, especially on D, and have been playing better and better, that's another write off for me. But NW? I was hoping to roll those guys. I'm concerned and think we gotta try Padilla.

By all means, open the competition back up in Spring (assuming Petras is still here). I will get some serious shit for saying this, but I think Petras has the brighter upside. With an adequate line, I think he'd potentially look like a much different player. But here and now, I think you gotta try something else.
I agree with everything you suggest, except the final line about Petras having a brighter upside. This is his 4th year in the program, his 2nd as a starter, and he's struggled with accuracy his entire Hawkeye career. He's better this year at taking juice off his bubble screen passes and being more accurate with those, but other than that, he still struggles to throw simple slant routes -- which is inexcusable for ANY P5 QB. Given tonight was Padilla's first game, I'd have to say I like his upside. Accuracy and decision-making are the keys to success for any QB, and Padilla passed with flying colors tonight.

Come on it's Padilla and it's not even close. Petras can make ever throw. If he has enough time, if the right play is called, if he doesn't have to make his progressions, and then still he usually throws it high. Padilla made sharp crisp decisions and passes. Padilla's passes for the most part were where the receiver needed the ball to be. Plus Padilla threw the ball downfield, something I've rarely seen Petras do this year. Padilla didn't take sacks on several plays Petras would have. That is a fact. Padilla is the right QB for this team. The lineman didn't have to hold their blocks and looked much better. Don't blame Padilla for the ultra conservative play calling in the second half. The coaches took the game out of his hands. I was especially disappointed that they had no designed roll outs for him where he could pass or run. They can say Petras is hurt but that's the Petras I've been watching all year. Hesitant, too cautious, slow to change a play or unable to improvise, wooden in the pocket. Padilla threaded the needle on several passes and helped to change field position several times. A healthy Petras would have lost this game, end of story. Kirk's ultra-conservative nature almost did that anyway. If Petras starts next week I might be done with the Hawks this year. What the hell does a guy have to do to prove he's better. Just admit it and move on. If Petras walks Hogan will be ready next year to hold a clipboard.

Reactions: haw
Start Padilla but keep KOK and BF the hell away from him. Iowa QBs tend to get worse with coaching by those two.
Iowa teaches low risk passes, those don't keep an offense moving. With Iowa's defense they can take a few chances, better than four three and outs every quarter. Oh, that would have been the fouth series with no passing productivity if Padilla had not come out when he did. NW would have loved that.

Padilla looks healthier and more decisive. Petras looks shell-shocked from all of the hits he has taken.

I'm not sure Padilla is much better than Petras, but he looked far more capable tonight and the offense had a bounce it's step....at least in the first half.

I think you go with Padilla, unless Padilla starts making a flurry of turnovers and you have Petras come in to game manage.

Last edited:
One big question I have is how hurt was/is Petras and what did he look like in practice this past week.
The 2-3 balls he threw into the ground a good 5 yards in front of open receivers before he was pulled looked like either he just physically wasn't able to perform or that he's in his own head (has the yips).

If he looked physically unable to perform all week due to injury and the coaches still put him out there then shame on them.
If that's not the case then it's time to ride with Padilla.

I don't see much of a controversy, Padilla looked much better than Petras in all categories. He came in and looked confident and made some nice throws. That pass to Charlie Jones was money in a tight window and Charlie whiffed. If he makes that catch he was off to the house.

Very small sample size, but Padilla looked better yesterday than Petras has in any game all year. Mobility, better accuracy, decision making and quicker release. Also shows more confidence and willingness to throw the medium depth passes. I don't know how you start anyone else next week.....but it still wouldn't surprise me if they went back to Petras if healthy.