Howe: Hawkeyes May Have QB Controversy on Their Hands

Almost all of Padilla's incomletions were a drop or two and throwaways. And most of the passes had players catching on the run and not adjusting or slowing down. Even the Jones drop would have been caught on the run with a huge gain.

I feel like everyone is ignoring the elephant in the locker room. Even though we won the game and Padilla looked better than Petras our offense still looked terrible against a bad defense. Our defense didn’t look much better. I always watch to the end and never turn the game off no matter how bad it is but this team right now is almost unwatchable.

I feel like everyone is ignoring the elephant in the locker room. Even though we won the game and Padilla looked better than Petras our offense still looked terrible against a bad defense. Our defense didn’t look much better. I always watch to the end and never turn the game off no matter how bad it is but this team right now is almost unwatchable.
It still was way too conservative once we got to 14 points. But those 2 drives were fun to watch.

It's as if BF and KF saw what Padilla was accomplishing in the 1st half and saw a QB controversy coming and handcuffed Padilla in the second half. The pass that sold me on giving Padilla the starting job was the incompletion to Johnson in the end zone. It was tight coverage and the ball was placed exactly where only Johnson had a chance to catch it. Tough catch and it was incomplete but it showed me enough to think Padilla may be the answer.

Last edited:
Whoever looks better in practice will start. KF wants to avoid Petras getting boo'd if the offense struggles out the gate.

Small sample size, but Padilla's pocket presence is better than Petras'. With this o-line being as bad as it is you need someone that can slide around in the pocket and climb the ladder. Frankly, Petras isn't very good at it.

Been watching Petras since day 1. Zero mobility, zero pocket awareness. Zero improvement. He does not appear have the brain for this position in div 1 college ball. Skillset, yes. Ability to put all of it together, nope. It's Padilla's turn.

QB controversy = bees to honey

Didn’t see Padilla run for many yards but do like his ability to escape pressure at times and throw on the run. He gets my vote to start vs Minnesota. Give him some more game time experience.

Kirk needs to give this team its best opportunity to improve the offense and that might be by giving Padilla an opportunity. Seems like there’s little to lose and perhaps something to gain by doing so. It’s not like we’re throwing a freshman out there in a desperation move.

They really shouldn’t, Petras isn’t a P5 QB.

So the QB with the 12-2 record and a 12 game win streak with a big road game and throws at ISU is not a P5 qb. That is just not true. Did you see Tanner Morgan yesterday just wilt under the Illinois pass rush. Morgan is a senior, maybe 5th year, who has had great success but can also be made mediocre when the run game stalls and the pass rushers feast and he doesnt have the great receivers he had in 2019.

Just a few weeks ago we all thought Petras looked just fine against PSU making some really fine throws. Petras is just fine when he has the time, not perfect, not tom bradyesque, but just fine.

And as I said, Padilla looked above avg also and if he beats out Petras that is fine for me and should be for most hawk fans.

One big question I have is how hurt was/is Petras and what did he look like in practice this past week.
The 2-3 balls he threw into the ground a good 5 yards in front of open receivers before he was pulled looked like either he just physically wasn't able to perform or that he's in his own head (has the yips).

If he looked physically unable to perform all week due to injury and the coaches still put him out there then shame on them.
If that's not the case then it's time to ride with Padilla.

Kirk on the post game radio show said Petras was dinged against Wisky, petras was up and down throwing the ball with adequate speed during practice, Kirk said Petras was iffy somewhat during pregame warmups with the zip on his throws from his shoulder and throwing arm being stiff, but Kirk thought they would go with him and see if he could play through it. Kirk said it became obvious he couldnt on that second throw that was well short so the change was made.

I think Padilla has done enough to earn the start. Petras does enough to win games when the line can keep him clean. But this line has done nothing to show they can do that. Padilla may end up making a few ill advised passes but he is much more mobile and throws a great ball out of the pocket.

Couldn’t agree more as you said that nothing is fixed. But this offense just needs to be complimentary to the defense.
I think Petras has shown enough to say that he shouldn't be either. What can Petras do that Padilla can't? Push the pile on a QB sneak is about all I can come up with. Padilla brings back the bootleg part of play action. That's such a huge part of Iowas offense and we haven't been able to do it with Petras. That play play deep in our territory when they called it and Padilla hit Johnson for 12-15 yards or so yards on that comeback/sideline out route was awesome. And there's a zero % chance that Petras could make that play on his best day. Absolutely none.

Padilla allows you to move the pocket and create passing lanes/angles that aren't there otherwise. The fact he put more then a few of those throws right on the money was exciting to see. Now if he can take a little something off the shorter throws like the balls to Tracy and Goodson that he missed on there'd be little to nit pick him about.

Hurt or not those first couple possessions were what Petras is. And if he is hurt then here's the coaches out to make the change and not hurt feelings so much. But either way the change seems obvious to be making. Petras shoulda been on a shorter leash then he was.

Now if only BF would try to convert a 3rd down in the 2nd half of a football game maybe we could really get the offense going... Too many times on 3rd and medium/long he just ran the ball with little intent of converting. I mean come on on the longer ones sure but there was like a couple 3rd and 6s where getting the 1st down woulda been more valuable then the 30 seconds or so you got to burn by running it was. Try to win. Don't try to not lose.

Right now I hope the coaches plan to start Padilla and give him most of the reps. Petras needs some reps and throwing time in practice just to see if he can physically do it. I think with a week of practice time the coaches can put in some rollouts and QB runs. We all know how a mobile running qb can add so much to an offense, how they bite the hawks a lot, how they add that extra dimension. I do not think Padilla is a really fast runner but he could add something with some escapability

We also have to remember that Padilla went up against a terrible defense today.

But, Padilla looks fresh and not war torn. Probably gives us the best chance to win at this point in time.

If Petras truly was taken out because of an injury, then he is highly likely to be put back in once he a healthy.

Let’s say that happens with the next game. The pressure will really be on him to perform because if we fall flat on our faces and lose then the fans will be howling mad. Not that, that matters to the coaching staff. The Vandenburg season prove that.

Petras has a heck of a winning record at the helm and given Kirk’s past history we are highly likely to see the return of Petras once he is healthy, whether the fans like it or not.

I also agree with Rob that one of the quarterbacks is likely to transfer at the end of the year. If it were my choice I would chose to have Petras move on. He seems to me more of a game manager type QB. The type Kirk likes to play.

So the QB with the 12-2 record and a 12 game win streak with a big road game and throws at ISU is not a P5 qb. That is just not true. Did you see Tanner Morgan yesterday just wilt under the Illinois pass rush. Morgan is a senior, maybe 5th year, who has had great success but can also be made mediocre when the run game stalls and the pass rushers feast and he doesnt have the great receivers he had in 2019.

Just a few weeks ago we all thought Petras looked just fine against PSU making some really fine throws. Petras is just fine when he has the time, not perfect, not tom bradyesque, but just fine.

And as I said, Padilla looked above avg also and if he beats out Petras that is fine for me and should be for most hawk fans.
"WE"?, no sir I did not! We won despite his inept play. The throw for the go ahead TD was the one positive play of the game. That game belonged to the Defense and special teams.

We also have to remember that Padilla went up against a terrible defense today.

But, Padilla looks fresh and not war torn. Probably gives us the best chance to win at this point in time.
Fitz's defense is never terrible against Iowa, he places more value on this game than probable any all year. Petras would not have won this game. I just don't see the controversy, Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win, period. Plus ask Tyler if he liked the open running lanes he got because of the passing game working. Things like that don't just happen. Fitz had to change his game plan in the second half and Brian and Kirk took the ball out of Padilla's hand but I still felt he changed field positions and guess what, NO TURNOVERS! Petras threw two picks last year. Let that sink in. If Kirk glosses over this performance and goes back to Petras and we lose 2 of 3 games or more, this will be on him. This is the problem with long term contracts, there seems to be a disconnect with reality.

I find it hard to think any coach in the country would watch tape of Petras' previous 2 games and the 1st quarter of the NW game, followed by looking at Padilla's 3 qtrs of the NW game, and objectively say that Petras is the better QB for this team at this time. Even weighing Petras' strong winning record (which we know is very important to KF), if the two QBs are considered EQUAL, the nod should go to Padilla since he's a year younger and is a potential starter for a year longer.
If Petras would complain about this change, I'd remind him that Spencer Rattler, the Oklahoma QB who was the leading candidate for the Heisman award earlier this season, even got pulled and replaced! Then I'd paraphrase Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen: "I've seen Spencer Rattler play. And you ain't no Spencer Rattler."

I find it hard to think any coach in the country would watch tape of Petras' previous 2 games and the 1st quarter of the NW game, followed by looking at Padilla's 3 qtrs of the NW game, and objectively say that Petras is the better QB for this team at this time. Even weighing Petras' strong winning record (which we know is very important to KF), if the two QBs are considered EQUAL, the nod should go to Padilla since he's a year younger and is a potential starter for a year longer.
If Petras would complain about this change, I'd remind him that Spencer Rattler, the Oklahoma QB who was the leading candidate for the Heisman award earlier this season, even got pulled and replaced! Then I'd paraphrase Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen: "I've seen Spencer Rattler play. And you ain't no Spencer Rattler."
Of course at Iowa there is no objectivity or accountability.

Reactions: haw
Whoever looks better in practice will start. KF wants to avoid Petras getting boo'd if the offense struggles out the gate.

Small sample size, but Padilla's pocket presence is better than Petras'. With this o-line being as bad as it is you need someone that can slide around in the pocket and climb the ladder. Frankly, Petras isn't very good at it.
Hard for coaches at any level to switch QB's - means you were wrong about the one position you've based your offensive success on.
McCann-Banks
JakeC-Stanzi
Rudock-CJB

Right or wrong - it will not be well-received by a sell-out home crowd if #7 trots out the 1st series - don't see #7 or team responding well when that happens.
OK to keep Minn guessing all week.
KF has seen this before. We'll see.

Latest posts