Howe: Hawkeyes May Have QB Controversy on Their Hands

Fitz's defense is never terrible against Iowa, he places more value on this game than probable any all year. Petras would not have won this game. I just don't see the controversy, Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win, period. Plus ask Tyler if he liked the open running lanes he got because of the passing game working. Things like that don't just happen. Fitz had to change his game plan in the second half and Brian and Kirk took the ball out of Padilla's hand but I still felt he changed field positions and guess what, NO TURNOVERS! Petras threw two picks last year. Let that sink in. If Kirk glosses over this performance and goes back to Petras and we lose 2 of 3 games or more, this will be on him. This is the problem with long term contracts, there seems to be a disconnect with reality.
I do agree Padilla, at this point, gives Iowa the best chance to win. I also agree Fitz gets up for Iowa almost like the clowns.

Almost all of Padilla's incomletions were a drop or two and throwaways. And most of the passes had players catching on the run and not adjusting or slowing down. Even the Jones drop would have been caught on the run with a huge gain.

Agree. But was mostly positive IMO was the team had more life. They had a spark, and they looked like they had an extra step. I believe the locker room has given up on Petras. Just my opinion.

I have no idea which of the two is the better QB.

Did you watch the game? I have no idea what either one looks like in practice, but during the game Padilla makes quicker passes and goes through his progression much quicker. He rarely, that I could see, locked on to any one target.

By the way, Keegan Johnson dropped a pass from Padilla that would have been a TD. I think he'd tell you he should have caught it.

Even worse, later in the game Charlie Jones had, what I'd call a perfect pass, go right through his hands. I don't think it even touched his hands. It could not have been thrown any better than it was.

Padilla, right now, at least in a real game looks better and the offense looks quicker with him than with Petras. And Padilla, while not Taylor Martinez, is more mobile than Petras.

Iowa has waited a season and a half for the light to turn on for Petras, fans have been patient, I thought he was going to be great. I just haven’t seen it yet. Padilla just looks like a QB should, he has been decisive and I have confidence in him already. Petras has not won games, he has managed them. He is a good insurance policy.

I didnt realize Duece wore the #2, classic.

I would love to see the Duece just once in a game and make a few throws.

Iowa has waited a season and a half for the light to turn on for Petras, fans have been patient, I thought he was going to be great. I just haven’t seen it yet. Padilla just looks like a QB should, he has been decisive and I have confidence in him already. Petras has not won games, he has managed them. He is a good insurance policy.
Petras won that PSU game. He led that comeback, for sure.

But Padilla has a quicker release and faster processing speed. I don't think he throws as nice of a deep ball.

So the QB with the 12-2 record and a 12 game win streak with a big road game and throws at ISU is not a P5 qb. That is just not true. Did you see Tanner Morgan yesterday just wilt under the Illinois pass rush. Morgan is a senior, maybe 5th year, who has had great success but can also be made mediocre when the run game stalls and the pass rushers feast and he doesnt have the great receivers he had in 2019.

Just a few weeks ago we all thought Petras looked just fine against PSU making some really fine throws. Petras is just fine when he has the time, not perfect, not tom bradyesque, but just fine.

And as I said, Padilla looked above avg also and if he beats out Petras that is fine for me and should be for most hawk fans.
Yep, they were 12-2 during that stretch even though they had Petras at QB. Shows how good of a TEAM they had.

You‘re responding to someone that has been complaining about Petras all through those wins.

I think Petras has shown enough to say that he shouldn't be either. What can Petras do that Padilla can't? Push the pile on a QB sneak is about all I can come up with. Padilla brings back the bootleg part of play action. That's such a huge part of Iowas offense and we haven't been able to do it with Petras. That play play deep in our territory when they called it and Padilla hit Johnson for 12-15 yards or so yards on that comeback/sideline out route was awesome. And there's a zero % chance that Petras could make that play on his best day. Absolutely none.

Padilla allows you to move the pocket and create passing lanes/angles that aren't there otherwise. The fact he put more then a few of those throws right on the money was exciting to see. Now if he can take a little something off the shorter throws like the balls to Tracy and Goodson that he missed on there'd be little to nit pick him about.

Hurt or not those first couple possessions were what Petras is. And if he is hurt then here's the coaches out to make the change and not hurt feelings so much. But either way the change seems obvious to be making. Petras shoulda been on a shorter leash then he was.

Now if only BF would try to convert a 3rd down in the 2nd half of a football game maybe we could really get the offense going... Too many times on 3rd and medium/long he just ran the ball with little intent of converting. I mean come on on the longer ones sure but there was like a couple 3rd and 6s where getting the 1st down woulda been more valuable then the 30 seconds or so you got to burn by running it was. Try to win. Don't try to not lose.

I'll respond to your second sentence. Padilla is more mobile than Petras. Normally with Iowa that should not be an issue. But it is with the youth and inability to block for more than 2 seconds on a pass play.

Petras is not a bad QB. He's just not a great option at the moment due to the point made above with the o-line.

Exactly what does Petras offer that Padilla doesn't have beside experience? Most on here have already acknowledged Padilla is more mobile, with a bad offensive line that seems to come in handy. Padilla throws bullets and looked fairly accurate, he was putting the ball in some tight windows and getting completions. I'm not sure Petras even attempts some of those passes.

I'll respond to your second sentence. Padilla is more mobile than Petras. Normally with Iowa that should not be an issue. But it is with the youth and inability to block for more than 2 seconds on a pass play.

Petras is not a bad QB. He's just not a great option at the moment due to the point made above with the o-line.
I agree with your first take. Padilla opens up the playbook as well everything about having a more mobile guy is a positive and noticeable thing. Petras is a statue and on top of that when they do roll him out he isn't good at throwing on the move.

Which brings me to he's not that great of a passer even when he's got his feet set. Yes he's made some good throws here and there. But he's inconsistent with it. The fact he has little time and the Oline makes his job tougher only makes it worse. So on the few occasions that he does have time to set his back foot and fire he's just gotta be on the $. Just due to how we play as an overall style with so few opportunities to be had.

Iowa's margin of error is always thin. So if there's a better option at QB, Oline WR you name it then you gotta play em. That's just my 2 cents

My opinion is I don't so much as care who starts next week or the following week as long as they look like they belong out there. What I want to see is that if one struggles the other gets a chance to get things going. If its Petras or Padilla starting I don't care, I just want whoever finishes the game to be the QB that at that point in time gives us the best chance to get the win.

My opinion is I don't so much as care who starts next week or the following week as long as they look like they belong out there. What I want to see is that if one struggles the other gets a chance to get things going. If its Petras or Padilla starting I don't care, I just want whoever finishes the game to be the QB that at that point in time gives us the best chance to get the win.

This is the best way to look at it as in it is not who starts the basketball game as much as who is on the floor the last 5 minutes of a close game. Many times your 6th and 7th guys on your BBall team are playing really well in the 2nd half and are in at the end.

But please do not put Petras in there if his arm is not 100% because he dirted 2 of his 4 throws way short of the receiver last saturday and obviously did not have it.

I hate trashing on a kid (Petras) that is trying his hardest. But he just doesn't trust the OL. Padilla didn't seem to have that problem too much.

Rob said it best...Did we just become Hawks fans?

23 years of Ferentz and every year we are upset about the offense. Blame KOK or BF. When do we blame KF for such a conservative approach? He wants a QB that will not make a tough throw because it might be a turnover.

I hate trashing on a kid (Petras) that is trying his hardest. But he just doesn't trust the OL. Padilla didn't seem to have that problem too much.

23 years of Ferentz and every year we are upset about the offense. Blame KOK or BF. When do we blame KF for such a conservative approach? He wants a QB that will not make a tough throw because it might be a turnover.

All correct. Although I believe KF at Iowa is still a great option as a coach, he is the one who decides the offense. We can complain all we want, but it is what it is.

I'll likely bitch and moan after most games, but will dutifully follow the hawks to their next game.

I just believe things could be much worse without the coaching stability at Iowa.

Some good thoughts. Petras could easily be getting tired of getting hit within 2 seconds and getting very happy feet and just throwing to the first receiver.

I was at the Humphrey Dome in 2006 iirc when Tate got pulled from what I thought and some others thought was Tate getting frustrated with play calling and trying to go off script and to maybe audible too much. The same thing was said to happen at Pitt in early 2008 when Stanzi replaced Big Jake in the first half and threw the ball very well but with less than a minute to go in the half may have audibled into a pass play and the coaches were seen on tv riding Ricky's ass. Ricky never sniffed the field in the 2nd half iirc and Jake stunk it up.

That is stubborness to the extreme by the coaching staff. Tate's feet and arm took us to a championship in 2004 and was the kind of player you let make plays. Ricky would prove he was very good in 2008-10