Howe: Cy-Hawk Game A Treasure for Our State

I think you are out of your mind. I'm not lecturing you...I'm disagreeing with you. You need to show me where he was ever labeled "comfortable"...or "just good enough". That's freaking ridiculous...and if you find a respectable columnist that says it, I can find ten more that say the opposite. Better yet...don't listen to a critic...listen to your own head. It may be that you don't appreciate his music and that's fine...but he was a great musician, well respected, and he sold a shitload of albums. He did experiment...his sound is truly unique...the minute you hear a riff...its Petty.
When I'm in my garage/bar I always play Tom Petty! Good Stuff! I would rather hear his music than any one else out there.

I think you are out of your mind. I'm not lecturing you...I'm disagreeing with you. You need to show me where he was ever labeled "comfortable"...or "just good enough". That's freaking ridiculous...and if you find a respectable columnist that says it, I can find ten more that say the opposite. Better yet...don't listen to a critic...listen to your own head. It may be that you don't appreciate his music and that's fine...but he was a great musician, well respected, and he sold a shitload of albums. He did experiment...his sound is truly unique...the minute you hear a riff...its Petty.
Do we need to go over to the music thread to continue this? Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell were the musicians in that band. Which is not a crime. Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes were the musicians in the Cars, and Ben Orr was a better singer, even though Ric Ocasek wrote the songs. But that didn't stop the Cars and it certainly didn't stop Petty.

You're prepared to list ten respectable columnists who are positive to every perceived dig, then you will me to ignore the critics all together? Which is it?

Listen to music in your own head? How do you think i discovered the Ramones, the Clash and the Buzzcocks while others were listening to new wave and arena rock. Motley Crue, Poison and Bon Jovi were all decent to good but I can name a dozen contemporaries from the 80's indie rock underground that weren't allowed to open for them. With good reason-they would have blown the Vidal Sasoons halfway to Antarctica. I was telling people in 2006 to forget Carrie Underwood, watch out for Miranda Lambert.

Out of my mind? I will take that as the highest compliment. I discovered a lot of truly great music that way.

Tom Petty does have a lot of recognizable riffs. But there's a reason that Roger McGuinn can do a better version of "American Girl" than Petty himself. And you can throw Bob Dylan in there as another major Petty influence. He is a major player, had a solid respected career. But it's more John Mellencamp or Bob Seger than it is Dylan, Bowie, Stones, Zeppelin or Beatles. Which is the pedestal you seem to be trying to raise him up to. It just is. I'm sorry.

There are posters here who are DONE with Kirk. Who piss all over 2015 like it was a mirage.. Who couldn't even bring themselves to enjoy the Mississippi State win because they simply want change. Who claim he is happy to get his seven wins (actually well over eight) and collect his buck. These posters consider any further support of Kirk and Iowa football as "drinking the Kool-Aid." I can point several out by name if you want me to.
There are also people making up a third dynamic though too, which I happen to be part of...

I don't hate KF, but I'm not a huge fan, either. I'm also realistic in the sense that I don't think there are better available options out there right now. The idiots in Nebraska's administration are perfect evidence of what happens when you fire stable coaches. With each successive round of musical coaches you have less credibility with recruits, and waaaaay less credibility in the pool of available coaches to choose from. No elite coach s going to go somewhere where the deck is stacked against them from the start, and even if they do get a guy with a few wins like Frost, he can put all the lipstick on it he wants, but it's still a pig.

Why is Wisconsin getting the credit they are? Because they did what it takes to be successful. The administration got a ridiculously talented AD with football knowledge to take control, put the right people in charge, and demand accountability. And we pay a snaggle-toothed Missouri Valley reject a shit load of money to yell at Gary Dolphin and lose millions in lawsuits through ineptitude. Eventually the Hawkeye program is going to pay the piper for Barta and Harreld's idiocy.

Where I do think the Hawkeye program is driving off a cliff is by hiring BF as coach. We can speculate all we want but we all know that it's going to happen, and I firmly believe that BF is going to sink the program. I hope not, but I really think it's going to happen. Who would I pick instead? I don't know the answer to that but I do know I'd offer Phil Parker a bunch of money and hope that he chose to keep Seth Wallace as his DC.

Last edited:
The term "KF Hater" is a bit elusive. Pre 2015, there were some who cried loudly. Others who simply pointed out frustrations and weaknesses were deemed haters by some.

So, if Iowa was still dancing around pre-2015 levels (2010-2014) would you be happy? Would you be content? Would you be a hater?

I totally agree about the team speed thing. It began subtly to where now Iowa has 80 percent of a very good team that could contend nationally. Punting has been resolved. QB, Safety,and RBs are what would hold the Hawks back.

KF and coaches used to develop great safeties. Many played in the NFL and some still are. I have never thought that safety was a huge weakness on our teams. there have been a few since 2012 who maybe didnt have the speed or best tackling angles but overall they have been very good.

When I'm in my garage/bar I always play Tom Petty! Good Stuff! I would rather hear his music than any one else out there.
It is good stuff. And he has a dedicated fan base which explains why I have touched a nerve. Petty checks a lot of boxes and will probably be the subject of a movie soon. His music is invigorating and enjoyable. I don't disagree with any of this. But he never reached the Springsteen/Fogerty/Van Morrison level that he was capable of reaching, let alone the true immortals like Dylan/Bowie/Stones/Beatles. And I am in a hot debate over it with a fellow poster. Because I won't give him more credit than @WinOneThisCentury feels is due.

There are also people making up a third dynamic though too, which I happen to be part of...

I don't hate KF, but I'm not a huge fan, either. I'm also realistic in the sense that I don't think there are better available options out there right now. The idiots in Nebraska's administration are perfect evidence of what happens when you fire stable coaches. With each successive round of musical coaches you have less credibility with recruits, and waaaaay less credibility in the pool of available coaches to choose from. No elite coach s going to go somewhere where the deck is stacked against them from the start, and even if they do get a guy with a few wins like Frost, he can put all the lipstick on it he wants, but it's still a pig.

Why is Wisconsin getting the credit they are? Because they did what it takes to be successful. The administration got a ridiculously talented AD with football knowledge to take control, put the right people in charge, and demand accountability. And we pay a snaggle-toothed Missouri Valley reject a shit load of money to yell at Gary Dolphin and lose millions in lawsuits through ineptitude. Eventually the Hawkeye program is going to pay the piper for Barta and Harreld's idiocy.

Where I do think the Hawkeye program is driving off a cliff is by hiring BF as coach. We can speculate all we want but we all know that it's going to happen, and I firmly believe that BF is going to sink the program. I hope not, but I really think it's going to happen. Who would I pick instead? I don't know the answer to that but I do know I'd offer Phil Parker a bunch of money and hope that he chose to keep Seth Wallace as his DC.
Phil himself is getting a little long in the tooth for someone who has never had head coaching experience. If his desire is to be one, he probably should have jumped ship six or eight years ago, even though his gain would have been our loss.

I've had a front row ringside seat to Wisconsin's brilliance the last twenty years. There's an entire generation of Badger fans over here who have no idea how good they have it.

All Iowa has to do is give up 1 home game once every 6 years and it could schedule another P5 team OOC once every 3 years in a home and home series.

And I found the perfect year for Iowa to give up a home game and schedule a 2nd P5 OOC on the road.

The ISU game is in Iowa City in 2024
Big Ten cross overs in 2024 are against Rut, MD and Indy.

Make it happen.

I don't think it's an Iowa issue. When we had 8 conference games, we pretty regularly played a "similarly situated" program. I think an issue today is that a bunch of teams are just completely unwilling to play more than 1 decent P5 opponent in OOC play. The coaches at places like Texas Tech, Kentucky or Tennessee don't want to play two or three P5 games because the coaches know that in the history books, it's better to go 7-5 or 8-4 with some cupcakes than to go 6-6 or gasp, 5-7 with 2 OOC losses.

Another huge problem is state politics. South Carolina has a bunch of schools with football programs, like Wofford, Furman, Clemson, SC, Coastal Carolina, Citadel and Charleston Southern. Maybe more that I can't think of. And most of those schools have politically connected guys who want to see Clemson and SC rotating games among the smaller in state schools to subsidize their athletic departments. So Clemson has scheduled Wofford this year and Furman last year. If they replace them with a program like Iowa, Clemson doesn't really make any more money, but Furman and Wofford would lose a huge chunk of money. As football costs go up, those small programs become more reliant on getting P5 games and political pressure rises to schedule someone like that.

Look at Iowa's schedule from 1981. The OOC games were Nebraska, UCLA and ISU. In '82 it was Nebraska, ISU and Arizona. In '83 (when the conference went to 9 games) it was ISU and PSU. Those schedules are awesome, but I just don't see them coming back barring a NCAA mandate to play more P5 OOC games, which given the political landscape and cost pressures on the small schools, will go over like a wet fart in church on Easter Sunday.

Agreed about big schools actually wanting to add dollars to the coffers of smaller schools. I think Iowa and ISU like to schedule UNI to keep money in the state and help the third state school. I think 90% of the time Iowa gets a win against non-P5 schools and these other schools get a really good payday.

As it is now Iowa should be no less than 2-1 after the non-conf. And they should be 3-0 statistically about 65% of the time.

Ummm...Petty's music DID age well. He has a hit string going back to the late 70s...50 years...and it's still getting air time on classic rock radio all the time. Are you talking about millennial critics won't appreciate him? Who gives a rats ass? They missed the greatest live music era in the history of music. I also disagree that they won't respect him. That's why he's in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. I'm all for analogies and everything to Kirk Ferentz, but the Tom Petty thing is a bit much. You need to go down through Petty's songbook...it's pretty incredible. Much like KF, Petty had the respect of musicians and the industry. If KF is the Tom Petty of College Football...it's a significant compliment.

I didnt appreciate Petty enough until the mid to late 80's because I didnt buy his albums. But once I did listen more I found his songs have a very lyrical styling and some great rock and roll tunes along with some great storytelling.

I am not equating KF or Tom Osborne to a legend like John Wooden but Nebraska has been trying to find a Devaney/Osborne ever since Osborne left. Nebby should have stuck with Solich for a few more years to see if he could do it rather than fire him when he was successful.

UCLA had to suffer some down years before they started winning again and yet they have never really returned to greatness as the top program in the West.

And Iowa needs to be wary of hiring a totally unknown quantity of as a head coach when KF retires. I think the Iowa job, the football program, and Iowa 'net worth' is top 25 so I think it a mistake to hire someone like BFerentz who has no head coaching experience when there are proven P5 coaches who might want to come to Iowa.

Phil himself is getting a little long in the tooth for someone who has never had head coaching experience. If his desire is to be one, he probably should have jumped ship six or eight years ago, even though his gain would have been our loss.
Parker has known that if Kirk Ferentz is anything, he's stable and that as long as he's the head coach Phil has a job. A damn good job. When/if Kirk leaves, that changes. Even with Baby 'Rentz, because I don't think he's got the talent to keep the program together. Listen to the guy do interviews, it’s nothing but obvious, vague psychobabble. Like, “If we want to win games, we need to score points,” or “We need to get better at putting ourselves in a position to do the things we need to do to be able to win ballgames.” Just ridiculous, stupid shit like that. The guy is seriously going to be running a P5 football team in a few years, boys.

He's an equal parts mixture of Alan Greenspan and John Madden, minus the economics knowledge and coaching talent.

Last edited:
Parker has known that if Kirk Ferentz is anything, he's stable and that as long as he's the head coach Phil has a job. A damn good job. When/if Kirk leaves, that changes. Even with Baby 'Rentz, because I don't think he's got the talent to keep the program together. Listen to the guy do interviews, it’s nothing but obvious, vague psychobabble. Like, “If we want to win games, we need to score points,” or “We need to get better at putting ourselves in a position to do the things we need to do to be able to win ballgames.” Just ridiculous, stupid shit like that. The guy is seriously going to be running a P5 football team in a few years, boys.

He's an equal parts mixture of Alan Greenspan and John Madden, minus the economics knowledge and coaching talent.

Pretty much every coach says that. I hate going to games with guys who are like "we gotta hurry back to the car so we can listen to post game presser." They all say the same shit. Then I have to listen to the damned call in show with Floyd from Lamoni calling and talking about Jordan Canzeri reminds him of some kid who played ball at Lamoni back in 1979. I much prefer the boards because the average jabroni who calls into those shows maxes out their IQ by pushing the digits on the phone and they wouldn't be able to type a message on here.

Yes, Phil would be my choice, too, if we were to go in-house. He's certainly earned it, and would keep the Iowa identity on defense. I don't know about offense, though.

Pretty much every coach says that. I hate going to games with guys who are like "we gotta hurry back to the car so we can listen to post game presser." They all say the same shit. Then I have to listen to the damned call in show with Floyd from Lamoni calling and talking about Jordan Canzeri reminds him of some kid who played ball at Lamoni back in 1979. I much prefer the boards because the average jabroni who calls into those shows maxes out their IQ by pushing the digits on the phone and they wouldn't be able to type a message on here.
If we're talking Iowa, Parker and Wallace are great to listen to.

They talk football. Not tired cliches and superlatives like Kirk Jr.

Do we need to go over to the music thread to continue this? Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell were the musicians in that band. Which is not a crime. Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes were the musicians in the Cars, and Ben Orr was a better singer, even though Ric Ocasek wrote the songs. But that didn't stop the Cars and it certainly didn't stop Petty.

You're prepared to list ten respectable columnists who are positive to every perceived dig, then you will me to ignore the critics all together? Which is it?

Listen to music in your own head? How do you think i discovered the Ramones, the Clash and the Buzzcocks while others were listening to new wave and arena rock. Motley Crue, Poison and Bon Jovi were all decent to good but I can name a dozen contemporaries from the 80's indie rock underground that weren't allowed to open for them. With good reason-they would have blown the Vidal Sasoons halfway to Antarctica. I was telling people in 2006 to forget Carrie Underwood, watch out for Miranda Lambert.

Out of my mind? I will take that as the highest compliment. I discovered a lot of truly great music that way.

Tom Petty does have a lot of recognizable riffs. But there's a reason that Roger McGuinn can do a better version of "American Girl" than Petty himself. And you can throw Bob Dylan in there as another major Petty influence. He is a major player, had a solid respected career. But it's more John Mellencamp or Bob Seger than it is Dylan, Bowie, Stones, Zeppelin or Beatles. Which is the pedestal you seem to be trying to raise him up to. It just is. I'm sorry.

Wait...before the bar was "comfortable", "not good enough"...now the measurement is the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, or Dylan. That's a pretty far span to go from. I took issue with you calling him comfortable, and not quite greatness...if you want to put him at a rung below the greatest bands of all time...I'm fine with that. There was a reason he was in the Traveling Wilburys...he was a icon like the other four.

His music is did take risks and achieved a unique sound...his voice alone was so distinct. Here is a musician's musician, a great writer, and was well respected by his peers...which goes alot further in my book than any music critic. My god, he's alot closer to Dylan, Bowie and the Stones than he is to Bob Seger and Mellencamp. That's a swing and a miss Northside.

I compared him to Tom Petty about a month ago. Always consistent, but always seemingly a step away from true greatness because both always stuck with a tried and true, "safe" formula. Jeff Lynne tried to goose Petty in mid career to be more experimental, to try roots rock and other things, but in the end Petty always felt more comfortable being who he was and doing what he did.

Now that we've seen Petty's career in it's entirety, I will predict that his music won't age well, and that twenty years from now critics will shit on him. This is what makes Kirk such a maddening figure to so many, even though he has had success that may not be seen here for a long time after he retires.

To quote James Earl Jones as Terrance Mann in Field of Dreams, "alright, now you've really pissed me off!" A lot of people complain about Kirk Ferentz, but your criticism of Tom Petty is a bridge too far for this Hawkeye fan.

In all seriousness, I think the comparison of either to the other is a compliment to each.

Latest posts