Howe: Cy-Hawk Game A Treasure for Our State

I compared him to Tom Petty about a month ago. Always consistent, but always seemingly a step away from true greatness because both always stuck with a tried and true, "safe" formula. Jeff Lynne tried to goose Petty in mid career to be more experimental, to try roots rock and other things, but in the end Petty always felt more comfortable being who he was and doing what he did.

Now that we've seen Petty's career in it's entirety, I will predict that his music won't age well, and that twenty years from now critics will shit on him. This is what makes Kirk such a maddening figure to so many, even though he has had success that may not be seen here for a long time after he retires.

I DO give a rats ass about how mllennials see the world. They are the future of it for better or worse. And don't lecture me about Petty's songbook. Lots of Stones and Byrds in there. He started to experiment with his sound in the mid eighties (Southern Accents, Let Me Up) and I enjoyed that era of Petty. He hooked up with Jeff Lynne (Full Moon Fever) and I thought that was some of his best work. But if you read music books and record review columns you will find that Petty was frequently labeled as "just good enough", "just short of greatness". That fine. He deserves his RRHOF and his career was solid. It just felt comfortable. Look at how artists like Elton John and David Bowie and Prince and Lou Reed and REM amd U2 were constantly taking risks, constantly experimenting, constantly reinventing themselves on the fly. Petty is no Elton, David, Prince or Lou.

He had a solid, respected career with a treasure trove of enjoyable music. Kind of like another baby boom hall of fame rocker who's career intertwined with his-John Mellancamp.

I agree 100% with your last statement. It's why I made the comparison in the first place. Comparing the two is a significant compliment to both and always was meant to be that way.

I consider Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers first album one of the better debut R&R albums ever.....

:cool:

Last edited:
The admittance that Wisconsin has surpassed us as a national brand is
  • Disappointing
  • The very fuel that drives the Farentz haters ( which I'm obviously not)

Another problem with scheduling power five home and homes is that they frequently need to get scheduled five to ten years in advance. This requires vision and foresight from the athletic directors, which has always been one of Barry's strengths

We seem to be increasing our team speed and athleticism with the classes we continue to bring in. Wouldn't it be exciting to see how we match up with a power five in September, or play in a hallowed stadium? Maybe if football does what college basketball has done in November the last decade you would see more interest in these matchups, understanding that it is logistically more difficult to pull it off in football

A possible downside to playing a Perennial National Power in the first 2/3 games is that it usually takes every Hawkeye team 2/3 games to really gell. Urban Meyer mentioned that after the Miami game, saying that the Hawkeye improve throughout the entire season, just get better and better. Said that he knew from First-Hand Experience, for instance:

THE MASSACRE[/QUOTE]

Parker has known that if Kirk Ferentz is anything, he's stable and that as long as he's the head coach Phil has a job. A damn good job. When/if Kirk leaves, that changes. Even with Baby 'Rentz, because I don't think he's got the talent to keep the program together. Listen to the guy do interviews, it’s nothing but obvious, vague psychobabble. Like, “If we want to win games, we need to score points,” or “We need to get better at putting ourselves in a position to do the things we need to do to be able to win ballgames.” Just ridiculous, stupid shit like that. The guy is seriously going to be running a P5 football team in a few years, boys.

He's an equal parts mixture of Alan Greenspan and John Madden, minus the economics knowledge and coaching talent.
A stable job is certainly a big deal for an assistant coach who may start out making around 100k. That was certainly a big deal for all of Hayden's yearlings in their formative coaching years and they wouldn't have been making close to 100k as position coaches back in those days.

Another person who's psychobabble compared to Brian's was the immortal LSU basketball coach Dale Brown. He was always saying outlandish, unfiltered comments in the media and when Sports Illustrated's college basketball preview came out one year in the eighties and they compared all the coaches to a galaxy Brown fell under the subcategory "lost in space".

Brown could coach, however, especially in tournament settings. He has two elite eights and two final fours on his resume. He put a hell of a scare into Bobby Knight the year Alford and Indiana won a Natty. He knocked off another eventual national champion late in the regular season when they were undefeated and #1 (Kentucky in the late seventies). No one wanted to go into Baton Rouge and schedule a non conference game with Brown in the saddle.

Wait...before the bar was "comfortable", "not good enough"...now the measurement is the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, or Dylan. That's a pretty far span to go from. I took issue with you calling him comfortable, and not quite greatness...if you want to put him at a rung below the greatest bands of all time...I'm fine with that. There was a reason he was in the Traveling Wilburys...he was a icon like the other four.

His music is did take risks and achieved a unique sound...his voice alone was so distinct. Here is a musician's musician, a great writer, and was well respected by his peers...which goes alot further in my book than any music critic. My god, he's alot closer to Dylan, Bowie and the Stones than he is to Bob Seger and Mellencamp. That's a swing and a miss Northside.

Excellent point ... The Traveling Wilbury's. Dylan, Lynne, Petty, Orbison, and Harrison (he's good too).

history-band.jpg

To quote James Earl Jones as Terrance Mann in Field of Dreams, "alright, now you've really pissed me off!" A lot of people complain about Kirk Ferentz, but your criticism of Tom Petty is a bridge too far for this Hawkeye fan.

In all seriousness, I think the comparison of either to the other is a compliment to each.
I agree. And I'm sorry if my comments about Tom Petty were taken as criticism. I've always been an avent-garde type person who sees things from the B-side of life and isn't afraid to zag where others zigged.

Now the Eagles? Don't get me started. Let's just say that I like Joe Walsh solo and his James Gang work.

Last edited:
A stable job is certainly a big deal for an assistant coach who may start out making around 100k. That was certainly a big deal for all of Hayden's yearlings in their formative coaching years and they wouldn't have been making close to 100k as position coaches back in those days.

Another person who's psychobabble compared to Brian's was the immortal LSU basketball coach Dale Brown. He was always saying outlandish, unfiltered comments in the media and when Sports Illustrated's college basketball preview came out one year in the eighties and they compared all the coaches to a galaxy Brown fell under the subcategory "lost in space".

Brown could coach, however, especially in tournament settings. He has two elite eights and two final fours on his resume. He put a hell of a scare into Bobby Knight the year Alford and Indiana won a Natty. He knocked off another eventual national champion late in the regular season when they were undefeated and #1 (Kentucky in the late seventies). No one wanted to go into Baton Rouge and schedule a non conference game with Brown in the saddle.
Bob Diaco is the only coach I can think of who even comes close to the incoherence of BF. Diaco is VERY obviously head injured from his playing days and the stuff he says is just totally off the wall. If he were a guy you met on the street you'd think he was on an acid trip instead of a football coach.

If Lee Corso and Jim Harbaugh made a baby it would be Crazy Bob Diaco.

Yeah, it was. I posted the first album but it was an inacceptable copy, went back on Youtube and this was the next one on the list for Tom Petty first album. This shall be corrected.....

:cool:
That album was a killer. Very bluesy like you said. "Breakdown", his first hit single, has that moody sparse, melodramatic arrangement that showed echoes of the Stones, Zeppelin, and early Springsteen (Spirit In The Night, Lost In The Flood).

That album was a killer. Very bluesy like you said. "Breakdown", his first hit single, has that moody sparse, melodramatic arrangement that showed echoes of the Stones, Zeppelin, and early Springsteen (Spirit In The Night, Lost In The Flood).
"American Girl" from that album is one of his greatest. Over 40 years later, it was the last song he ever played in concert.

Wait...before the bar was "comfortable", "not good enough"...now the measurement is the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, or Dylan. That's a pretty far span to go from. I took issue with you calling him comfortable, and not quite greatness...if you want to put him at a rung below the greatest bands of all time...I'm fine with that. There was a reason he was in the Traveling Wilburys...he was a icon like the other four.

His music is did take risks and achieved a unique sound...his voice alone was so distinct. Here is a musician's musician, a great writer, and was well respected by his peers...which goes alot further in my book than any music critic. My god, he's alot closer to Dylan, Bowie and the Stones than he is to Bob Seger and Mellencamp. That's a swing and a miss Northside.
If you think he's closer to Bowie/Dylan/Stones than to Mellencamp/Seger, then I have nothing left to say, other than I underestimated the passion and worship his fans have for him.

Maybe I will be wrong and those millennials will worship him, the way they brought Journey and Queen back from the dead. Countless bands and musicians have made comebacks after a new generation discovered them.. That's the beauty of music.

We can still enjoy his music from now to eternity. There's a lot to enjoy.

Hey, I'm a Hawkeye fan and have been for a long time. But we forget that when Iowa State was doing quite well in the Big 8 in the late '60s and early '70s (when Iowa was truly terrible) we didn't even play this game; I have a good friend who reminds me of this every year.

Latest posts