Howe: Cy-Hawk Game A Treasure for Our State

I don’t want the game to go away. It’s an in-state rivalry from two P5 conferences.

It’s not going away. Iowa isn’t giving up it’s 7th home game. There won’t be a home/home with another P5 as long as the Big10 plays nine games.

And bored with this game? C’mon.

Illinois? Purdue? NW?

Yawn. No. ZZZZzzzzz
Home and away with Pitt every year. F Iowa State.

The times we’ve played Pitt have all been competitive and both fanbases travel well and get into the game.

I don’t want the game to go away. It’s an in-state rivalry from two P5 conferences.

It’s not going away. Iowa isn’t giving up it’s 7th home game. There won’t be a home/home with another P5 as long as the Big10 plays nine games.

And bored with this game? C’mon.

Illinois? Purdue? NW?

Yawn. No. ZZZZzzzzz

I am not bored with beat downs on the Illini like the recent 63-0 clobbering especially with how so many hawks got in on the action.

Purdue hasnt been too much of a yawner the last few times the hawks have played them except that brutally cold game in 2017 when the hawks offense looked frozen.

It can be a friggin brain grind to watch the hawks play jNW just because of the way Fitzie knows how to muck up the hawk offense. It can be brutal to watch at times although I can replay the hilites of the 2015 hawk beatdown on those wildrats all the time. I still have trouble understanding how Iowa hasnt won the last 3 games against those clowns.

Eff Mizzou. Remember when they scheduled us when we stunk and then waited until the last day to terminate the contract to play us when Kirk got the team straightened out? I forget who we had to reschedule, but it was hot garbage.
I think one year it was Northern Illinois and the next year it was Florida International.

I am not bored with beat downs on the Illini like the recent 63-0 clobbering especially with how so many hawks got in on the action.

Purdue hasnt been too much of a yawner the last few times the hawks have played them except that brutally cold game in 2017 when the hawks offense looked frozen.

It can be a friggin brain grind to watch the hawks play jNW just because of the way Fitzie knows how to muck up the hawk offense. It can be brutal to watch at times although I can replay the hilites of the 2015 hawk beatdown on those wildrats all the time. I still have trouble understanding how Iowa hasnt won the last 3 games against those clowns.
Iowa 63-0 beat downs are few and far between. I can’t recall any beat down of these 3 teams. The next previous beat down I can recall is vs. OSU.

Purdue has only been a legit concern since their new coach was hired. ISU has been a legit concern longer than that.

No argument has ever been made that playing Illinois and Purdue is a no win-scenario for Iowa.

ISU tends to muck up the game like NW. the difference is vs ISU we are 4-0 the last four; vs Fitzcats 1-3

I like beating a rival more than losing to Chicago Private Community College.

If you think he's closer to Bowie/Dylan/Stones than to Mellencamp/Seger, then I have nothing left to say, other than I underestimated the passion and worship his fans have for him.

Maybe I will be wrong and those millennials will worship him, the way they brought Journey and Queen back from the dead. Countless bands and musicians have made comebacks after a new generation discovered them.. That's the beauty of music.

We can still enjoy his music from now to eternity. There's a lot to enjoy.

It's not just me...Rolling Stone had Petty among the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. That's all genres. You won't find Seger or Mellencamp on that list. Most people will list Petty in the top 30 classic rock bands of all time...you won't find Seger or Mellencamp on those lists.

The funny thing is, I'm a Who, Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, & Beatles fan...then throw in Bowie, Queen, Jackson Browne, Dylan, The Clash & the Dead for some variety and social consciousness perspective. But Petty's earned and deserves his place and I think his songbook will speak for itself through generations. It's not that I'm telling you what you should think...music is personal taste and how it impacts you emotionally. I completely understand where you are coming from...but I think you are grouping him without a true perspective of his band and I think more people would be in my camp on this. Once again...it's your opinion, and music is subjective...and I respect your thoughts on the matter and its clear you know your stuff when it comes to music...and are a passionate fan. You just happen to be wrong in this case. :)

It's not just me...Rolling Stone had Petty among the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. That's all genres. You won't find Seger or Mellencamp on that list. Most people will list Petty in the top 30 classic rock bands of all time...you won't find Seger or Mellencamp on those lists.

The funny thing is, I'm a Who, Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, & Beatles fan...then throw in Bowie, Queen, Jackson Browne, Dylan, The Clash & the Dead for some variety and social consciousness perspective. But Petty's earned and deserves his place and I think his songbook will speak for itself through generations. It's not that I'm telling you what you should think...music is personal taste and how it impacts you emotionally. I completely understand where you are coming from...but I think you are grouping him without a true perspective of his band and I think more people would be in my camp on this. Once again...it's your opinion, and music is subjective...and I respect your thoughts on the matter and its clear you know your stuff when it comes to music...and are a passionate fan. You just happen to be wrong in this case. :)
My original premise was to compare Kirk to Tom and that's clearly a complement to both.

I underestimated the amount of Tom Petty love going on out there right now as was supported by other posters.

I briefly mentioned Journey and Queen in one of my posts. Bashing them used to be a popular thing to do. Now both bands are more popular than when they were in the top forty every year.
Petty seems to getting a similiar amount of love and he is better than Journey or Queen.

We can both enjoy Petty's records and we can both enjoy a Hawkeye whipping today. That Clown QB will be singing "Don't Come Around Here No More" to Epenesa by the end of the day.

I was probably a student of yours.

I taught math there and was the boys' basketball and baseball coach 1980-1983. Left the year after they became Collins-Maxwell as I was lower in seniority (by about 15 years) to the math teacher at Collins.

I taught math there and was the boys' basketball and baseball coach 1980-1983. Left the year after they became Collins-Maxwell as I was lower in seniority (by about 15 years) to the math teacher at Collins.

Missed me. I was too young. I graduated in 2000.

Hey, I'm a Hawkeye fan and have been for a long time. But we forget that when Iowa State was doing quite well in the Big 8 in the late '60s and early '70s (when Iowa was truly terrible) we didn't even play this game; I have a good friend who reminds me of this every year.

That period of time was rough for the Big Ten, other than Michigan and Ohio State. The Big Ten had a limit of 30 scholarships per year and 120 total. The Big Eight allowed the max limit of 45 and 180. In the early 60's college football went from limited substitution to unlimited. While that would not have changed the stats had they played it would have been more advantageous for ISU.

Latest posts