Howe: Cy-Hawk Game A Treasure for Our State

That album was a killer. Very bluesy like you said. "Breakdown", his first hit single, has that moody sparse, melodramatic arrangement that showed echoes of the Stones, Zeppelin, and early Springsteen (Spirit In The Night, Lost In The Flood).

Breakdown is one of my favorite songs throughout time

It was somewhat innovative when first recorded

Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers also do a very nice rendition of the Animals song: Crying

:cool:

Hey, I'm a Hawkeye fan and have been for a long time. But we forget that when Iowa State was doing quite well in the Big 8 in the late '60s and early '70s (when Iowa was truly terrible) we didn't even play this game; I have a good friend who reminds me of this every year.
That was back when we did schedule legit non cons. USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, Nebraska. Probably forgetting a couple.

Do we need to go over to the music thread to continue this? Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell were the musicians in that band. Which is not a crime. Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes were the musicians in the Cars, and Ben Orr was a better singer, even though Ric Ocasek wrote the songs. But that didn't stop the Cars and it certainly didn't stop Petty.

You're prepared to list ten respectable columnists who are positive to every perceived dig, then you will me to ignore the critics all together? Which is it?

Listen to music in your own head? How do you think i discovered the Ramones, the Clash and the Buzzcocks while others were listening to new wave and arena rock. Motley Crue, Poison and Bon Jovi were all decent to good but I can name a dozen contemporaries from the 80's indie rock underground that weren't allowed to open for them. With good reason-they would have blown the Vidal Sasoons halfway to Antarctica. I was telling people in 2006 to forget Carrie Underwood, watch out for Miranda Lambert.

Out of my mind? I will take that as the highest compliment. I discovered a lot of truly great music that way.

Tom Petty does have a lot of recognizable riffs. But there's a reason that Roger McGuinn can do a better version of "American Girl" than Petty himself. And you can throw Bob Dylan in there as another major Petty influence. He is a major player, had a solid respected career. But it's more John Mellencamp or Bob Seger than it is Dylan, Bowie, Stones, Zeppelin or Beatles. Which is the pedestal you seem to be trying to raise him up to. It just is. I'm sorry.

Miranda Lambert, LOL! You should have warned Blake!

Parker has known that if Kirk Ferentz is anything, he's stable and that as long as he's the head coach Phil has a job. A damn good job. When/if Kirk leaves, that changes. Even with Baby 'Rentz, because I don't think he's got the talent to keep the program together. Listen to the guy do interviews, it’s nothing but obvious, vague psychobabble. Like, “If we want to win games, we need to score points,” or “We need to get better at putting ourselves in a position to do the things we need to do to be able to win ballgames.” Just ridiculous, stupid shit like that. The guy is seriously going to be running a P5 football team in a few years, boys.

He's an equal parts mixture of Alan Greenspan and John Madden, minus the economics knowledge and coaching talent.

Kirk says the same things over and over. You know going into interviews pretty much what he is gonna say. I have often wondered why so many press people even bother going to them. He has a script and sticks to it time after time. Compliments opponents, etc. He is what he is.

Saw Tom Petty about 4 months before he died. Was one of the best concerts we'd ever been to. Those guys could play and sing. Some groups don't sound quite right as they age (see ZZ Top) but they sounded just like Petty from the 70s and 80s.

Hey, I'm a Hawkeye fan and have been for a long time. But we forget that when Iowa State was doing quite well in the Big 8 in the late '60s and early '70s (when Iowa was truly terrible) we didn't even play this game; I have a good friend who reminds me of this every year.

I am not sure what the late 60's and early 70's have to do with the conversation since the two teams had not been playing each other for about 40 years by that time. As another poster said Iowa was playing Notre Dame most years to about 1966 and they played a really tough non-conf schedule against as others and I have mentioned, USC, UCLA, Oregon St when they were pretty good, I saw the hawks in kinnick against Washington about 1965, and against Penn St, Syracuse, Oregon. The hawks were still playing that tough schedule that was left over from Evy's great teams.

Iowa St was not playing a very tough non-conf schedule back then that I can remember.

Not sure why your ISU friend makes such a big deal about this since Iowa ISU were not going to play each other until the state legislature basically made them play each other.

I am not sure what the late 60's and early 70's have to do with the conversation since the two teams had not been playing each other for about 40 years by that time. As another poster said Iowa was playing Notre Dame most years to about 1966 and they played a really tough non-conf schedule against as others and I have mentioned, USC, UCLA, Oregon St when they were pretty good, I saw the hawks in kinnick against Washington about 1965, and against Penn St, Syracuse, Oregon. The hawks were still playing that tough schedule that was left over from Evy's great teams.

Iowa St was not playing a very tough non-conf schedule back then that I can remember.

Not sure why your ISU friend makes such a big deal about this since Iowa ISU were not going to play each other until the state legislature basically made them play each other.
Wasn't the issue back then that Iowa didn't want to travel to Ames to play? I know the first four games in the rekindling of the series were at Kinnick. And Keith Jackson/Frank Broyles were on the mic for the 1977 game.

Everyone makes fun of Boise State's blue "Smurf turf". Well, I'll tell ya, Kinnick's turf in 1977 wasn't far behind. On a cloudy day it was almost an eyesore.

This is just a great test for each team, early in the season. Both sides will pester the f*ck out of each other up until kick off, winner continues until kickoff next year, or until tip off in a couple of months.....

Iowa has a dominant lead in wins in the series. Perhaps if they had been playing during those years the lead wouldn't be as dominant?

And I guess you're right. Scheduling schools like New Mexico, Arizona, Illinois, BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Washington and UCLA were just not tough games. (Several of these schools were ranked when they played them) As I said, I'm a Hawkeye fan. Doesn't mean I don't know ISU. Lived and taught several years in Maxwell, a small town about 15 miles from Ames.

I don't like playing ISU every year, but some on here want Missouri in the conference. I'll guarantee you you'll wish Mizzou burned to the ground. Their fans are worse than ISU and any other B1G school. IMHO, of course.

I don't like playing ISU every year, but some on here want Missouri in the conference. I'll guarantee you you'll wish Mizzou burned to the ground. Their fans are worse than ISU and any other B1G school. IMHO, of course.
I remember Missouri's big, bad "antlers" basketball student section saying doragotory comments about Jeff Grayer's family and mother before a game.

Not Jeff, his family.

That is a red alert for real trouble. Sure enough, Grayer was close to stepping over the ropes when Elmer Robinson pulled him back.

On a side note, I just made the connection that this is a 3pm start on FS1. Does that mean they are carrying an early east coast baseball game?

Sumbitch better get over with real quick. Not one of the three hour forty five minute marathons where managers are shuttling relief pitchers out there like they're getting paid commission.

Kirk says the same things over and over. You know going into interviews pretty much what he is gonna say. I have often wondered why so many press people even bother going to them. He has a script and sticks to it time after time. Compliments opponents, etc. He is what he is.
KF: “First off, credit to [insert opposing team here], they played a heck of a game, Coach [insert opposing coach here] always has his players prepared, so just want to compliment them on a hard fought contest. Hats off to them.

Wanna congratulate our guys, they did a spectacular job out there, played hard, showed a lot of toughness. Tough game next week, gotta clean a few things up in practice and move on to the next one. No easy wins in the Big Ten. Hats off to our guys.

“Also wanna thank Chad Liestikow and his wife for those monogrammed towels, Chad does a spectacular job with the lawn; he’s really made strides during the week, getting straighter lines, alternating his diagonals, really making those stripes stand out. He’s a guy Reese brought in, kind of under the radar, beginning of the year he struggled with the starch and ironing at first but he’s really stepped up and put in the hours, it’s paying off for him. Great young man, tremendous talent, hats off to him.”

Eff Mizzou. Remember when they scheduled us when we stunk and then waited until the last day to terminate the contract to play us when Kirk got the team straightened out? I forget who we had to reschedule, but it was hot garbage.

I don’t want the game to go away. It’s an in-state rivalry from two P5 conferences.

It’s not going away. Iowa isn’t giving up it’s 7th home game. There won’t be a home/home with another P5 as long as the Big10 plays nine games.

And bored with this game? C’mon.

Illinois? Purdue? NW?

Yawn. No. ZZZZzzzzz

Saw Tom Petty about 4 months before he died. Was one of the best concerts we'd ever been to. Those guys could play and sing. Some groups don't sound quite right as they age (see ZZ Top) but they sounded just like Petty from the 70s and 80s.

Man, I saw ZZ Top ten years ago and they absolutely slayed. Saw STP and Kid Rock at the same festival. It rocked.

Iowa has a dominant lead in wins in the series. Perhaps if they had been playing during those years the lead wouldn't be as dominant?

And I guess you're right. Scheduling schools like New Mexico, Arizona, Illinois, BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Washington and UCLA were just not tough games. (Several of these schools were ranked when they played them) As I said, I'm a Hawkeye fan. Doesn't mean I don't know ISU. Lived and taught several years in Maxwell, a small town about 15 miles from Ames.

I was probably a student of yours.

Latest posts